Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2004 6:18:50 AM EDT
She bought it for me on her way from work.

We watched it together lastnight and it was a pretty damn good movie. Makes me want to go out and get myself some swords for the den.

I thought it was gonna be a Top Gun with samurai swords. I did see some hints of Braveheart(one of my favorites) in it. It was no Braveheart, but the movie did make you think a little-which most don't these days.

Three thumbs up
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:19:47 AM EDT
[#1]
let me know your favorite scene and I will try and post a few shots.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:29:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, we bought it too last night.  Excellent flick especially on high definition wide screen.

Tj
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:32:43 AM EDT
[#3]
My daughter's friend takes Japanese, and her high school Japanese teacher says that is pretty realistic. Pretty good movie. But realistically, I think it takes years to learn to be a samurai warrior, not what 6 months.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:33:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Bought it at Sams club this AM.Will watch it with Demi Moore when she stops by for cheap sex this PM.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:40:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Bought it at Sams club this AM.Will watch it with Demi Moore when she stops by for cheap sex this PM.

Oh..so YOU'RE the one that gets sloppy seconds.........
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:40:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan, but this was a good movie.  I think Ken Watanabi stole the show with his performance.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:52:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan, but this was a good movie.  I think Ken Watanabi stole the show with his performance.

He usually does...  Excelent actor!
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:56:02 AM EDT
[#8]
it didnt make sense that Tom Cruise ended up being the last Samurai? he would have been killed much earlier than the real Samurais, but I guess the movie producers know thats what American audiences want to see? if they let a real Japanese be the last Samurai the movie wouldnt be as popular.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:26:24 AM EDT
[#9]
The lady that plays Koyuki is a cutie.  Apparently she is a famous actress in Japan.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#10]
But . . . . . . isn't Tom Cruise . . . . . . GAY?? He left Nicole Kidman, isn't that proof enough?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:09:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
But . . . . . . isn't Tom Cruise . . . . . . GAY?? He left Nicole Kidman, isn't that proof enough?

I know if I let her get away I'd resort to being a drunk too!
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:10:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yeah, well he left her for Penelope Cruz which is understandable. but it would appear that he was a "beard" for her, and perhaps the other way round, not entirely sure.

cf. Sandra bullock...

/Phil
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I would disagree, that the character Tom Cruise portrays could not learn such swordsmanship in 6 months. It was a bit fast, but consider that he is a verteran of more battles than most if not all of the Samarai. He was already pretty much an expert with his calvary sword, which would require just the learning of different techniques versus not knowing anything about fighting at all.

Remember the scene in which he gets into a draw while training because he finally figured out a diferent mindset. The movie emphasized that he was already a great and formidable fighter, but "learned" how to be Samarai. It wasn't about some stupid peon suddenly sprouting samarai wings.

As the "last" samarai, it was not Tom Cruise. Although he learned their ways (and was maybe better in some ways), he was NOT samarai. The last one committed seppaku (sp?) on the battlefield with Tom's help. I think the movie pushed how Tom's character only saved himself because of Samarai values, but the irony was that there was no more room for the Samarai.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, well he left her for Penelope Cruz which is understandable. but it would appear that he was a "beard" for her, and perhaps the other way round, not entirely sure.

cf. Sandra bullock...

/Phil

tom cruise is gay and is controlled by the  so-called "gay mafia" which is based in hollywood. they basically control everything in the movie industry and use the church of science as a front. cruise's marriage to kidman was contractual and their "divorce" was actually the end of said contract. if a movie star is a "member" (more like donator to get high-dollar roles) of the church of science, chances are that they're gay. i'm being dead serious here, no bullshit. crazy, isn't it?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:39:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

cf. Sandra bullock...

/Phil

tom cruise is gay and is controlled by the  so-called "gay mafia" which is based in hollywood. they basically control everything in the movie industry and use the church of science as a front. cruise's marriage to kidman was contractual and their "divorce" was actually the end of said contract. if a movie star is a "member" (more like donator to get high-dollar roles) of the church of science, chances are that they're gay. i'm being dead serious here, no bullshit. crazy, isn't it?

"Gay Mafia"?...what instead of wacking you and swiming with "da fishes"...they take you out and get you a new wardrobe and re-decorate your house?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#16]
i know it sounds outlandish but it's true. you know that black guy in the wheelchair in "oz"/computer dude in "the matrix?" he gave me the scoop. there's much, much more. we're buddies, he wasn't putting me on.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, thats the first time I've seen that said about the Scientologist nut jobs, quick batman, to google!

Personally I'm still thinking about Cruz/Bullock, but that's just me

/Phil

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i know it sounds outlandish but it's true. you know that black guy in the wheelchair in "oz"/computer dude in "the matrix?" he gave me the scoop. there's much, much more. we're buddies, he wasn't putting me on.

Dude! that must be some good shit!  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#19]
My favorite part was watching Tom Cruise get the hell beaten out of him with the practice Swords.

Both my kids said that was their favorite part too.

I liked this movie alot.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:41:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Tom isnt the last Samurai.  It was funny to leave the theater and hear all these people comment about Cruise being the last one.  Its a very western type of mindset.  The last one was the warlord that left. Tom just happened to be there.  My girlfriend calls the movie, Dancing with Samurai.  Its actually very similar to Dances with wolves, no indians just Japanese.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Samurai vs. Ninja fight = awesome (and by awesome I mean totally sweet).

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#22]
This is one of my all time favorite movies, I liked it that much. But dances with wolves is also one of my favorites, so you can see a trend here...

I saw this one in the theater the day it came out and really liked it. At the end of the movie I decided I was going to be a more moral, honorable, and nice person. The next day that went out the window, but I still love the movie.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh..so YOU'RE the one that gets sloppy seconds.........

Sorry to disappoint, but you mean sloppy thirds once she leaves here.

Oh, BTW, she just left and wanted me to tell you to make sure the beers are nice and cold.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm waiting for the "Last Mall Ninja" to come out on DVD. The book was totally cool. Mall Ninjas can totally kill Samuris.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Yeah, I'm sure he's a real Hollywood insider.

I thought the Jews ran Hollywood, BTW.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top