copy and paste this into your browser

mms://wabctv.wmod.llnwd.net/a114/o1/wabc_050304_chopper2.wmv

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:16:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:20:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
link no workee

We thought you had the original video anyway.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:24:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for reminding me why I don't like choppers again!

Tj
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:41:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:59:57 AM EDT
[#5]
THAT'S IT!  BAN HELICOPTERS!!!
Do it for the children
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:04:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm surprised that there aren't more of these. I spent 4 years in one of the "major markets" doing helicopter/ENG support. First off, I'm not going to Monday morning quarterback this thing, since I don't have any details. For all I know, they had a mechanical of some kind and nowhere to go. Secondly I don't want to insult any of the real pros out there doing this job. They operate knowledgeably and safely, but, there are some cowboys/glory hounds out there who are nothing more than reporters driving a helicopter, who IMO are an accident looking for a place to happen. As usual it will be the few bad ones that eventually cause the gov to step in and further regulate them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:47:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I know a pilot who works for the company that fly’s for Channel 4 News. He was paged last night after the crash to help assess the accident.   He had flown the same chopper the day before it was involved in the accident.  His company always fly’s with a pilot and a reporter.  This flight also had another pilot on board as well.  The pilot had reported a tail rotor failure prior to crashing.

They all survived the accident and apparently aren't injured too bad because they are only listed in serious condition.  Two of them were able to get out of the crashed chopper unassisted.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:15:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I worked with a camerman at a station in New Orleans who
walked away from two helicopter crashes.

The most spectacular was a press flight. Cameramen from all three
stations and the newspaper were in a  chopper that was
being demonstrated at a big police convention.  It went down in the
Mississippi river near the GNO bridge.  A couple stations had ground
crews taping.  Guess what the lead story was that night?

Everyone survived. No major injuries I recall, but the helicopter sank.

Seems to me that was in the early/mid eighties.

One time we had to charter a chopper to shoot some aerials above the
interstate where there had been a multi car pile up. We asked the pilot to
hover so we could get some stable shots.  He did....after several minutes
he broke off and landed in a nearby grass strip. Once down, he told us the
engine was overheating because the craft wasn't designed to hover that
long. Said if he had known what we wanted he would have flown a different
helicopter. I learned something about helicopters that day.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:28:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Unlike in the movies, notice the lack of fireballs and explosions.

I hope these folks recover.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I noticed they were damn lucky there was a convenient roof .  Otherwise down the slot  between buildings.  As far as no fireball, that has to be a minor miracle as the fuel tank along with just about everything else got thrown away from an ignition source.  Tail rotor failure seems to fit with the motions on the video.  I wouldnt be surprised if there weren't 3 concurrent tail sphincter failures too.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#11]
My first reaction was, "Why were they so darn low???"
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Anybody remember a commuter helicoper crash in NYC back in the mid-late 70's?
IIRC, the strut on one of the front wheels gave out and the blades whacked the top of a building, breaking them off.  One of them flew outwards from the building, then boomeranged back in about 7 floors down, cutting some guy in half.

Anyone?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:06:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Nope. I was too young.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I do remember some actor in the Twilight Zone getting chopped-up, though. Who was that again?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Everyone is ok as far as I have seen on TV. The pilot is praised for brilliant flying and keeping that crippled chopper from slamming into the streets. The pilot actually tried to land on the roof that he slammed into. The parapet of the first roof broke the fall just enough for everyone to survive. unbelievable.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
IIRC, the strut on one of the front wheels gave out and the blades whacked the top of a building, breaking them off.  One of them flew outwards from the building, then boomeranged back in about 7 floors down, cutting some guy in half.

Anyone?

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:13:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:25:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I do remember some actor in the Twilight Zone getting chopped-up, though. Who was that again?

Vic Morrow
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:20:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Here is an interview with the pilot from the Daily news NY www.nydailynews.com/front/story/190741p-164894c.html
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:55:44 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm not pilot but it looked to me like the pilot did a great job of getting the helo down to a reasonably low altitude and slowed down enough which gave them the chance to survive that crash.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Wow... if their tail rotor went out, I think that was a pretty good save.  They got pretty lucky there at the end when they caught the edge of one building and flipped around and happened to land right side up on the next building.  By the way does anybody have a link to the video from that police chopper that went down?  It was at night, I believe they were autorotating, came down under some power lines and landed (hard) in a parking lot?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vic Morrow

Wasn't that "Mel" from the show "Alice"?

No.  The actor that played Mel was Vic Tayback.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 1:57:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Is it just me or does everyone else that tries to view that just get an audio file? I tried it in both Media Player and Winamp. Same thing. -Rod-
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vic Morrow

Wasn't that "Mel" from the show "Alice"?

Vic Tayback.
Vic Morrow was the Sergeant (SGT ?) in COMBAT!
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Anyone?

Found it!
www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=57237&key=0#

airlines.afriqonline.com/airlines/711.htm

I think I was wrong about the guy in the office, though.
Must have been on a TV show or something.
When I'm 80 and wearing a diaper and senile, I'll probably "remember" that my name is George Costanza and I live with my parents.

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#28]
From what little I remember from my helo indoc, once he lost that tail rotor there wasn't anything he could do to effect outcome but pray.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top