Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2004 10:12:00 PM EDT
Well, more a what am I doing wrong problem. When I try to get to the Lightfighter Discussion Forums I get this....

Lightfighter Tactical Forum

Your browser does not support these pages. Please upgrade your browser if you choose to view this site.

Supported browsers are: Internet Explorer 5.5+, Netscape 7+, Mozilla, Safari and Opera 7+.

I'm running IE6 with Norton Internet Security and I assume that's the genesis of the problem, I just can't figure out what it is.

Help me pleeze.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:14:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Temporarily disable your firewall and see if it loads.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Tried that and it still doesn't load.

Ironically, at work, with a monitored system with some content blocking, I get on with no problem.

Now what?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:17:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Turn off modem and router.

Restart everything.

That or maybe the board is down...whats the link?

SGtar15
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Nortons Internet Security sucks. It's too strict with your surfing habits. Try Zonealarm!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:44:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Uninstall stupid software firewall

Buy hardware router/firewall unit

DONE, no more problem

Seriously, software 'firewalls' provide absolutely no protection against network worms (ala CodeRed, Blaster, Nachi & Welchia) since worms spread at the OS level, not the application level.  

No firewall will help with viruses & e-mail worms, since firewalls screen IP packets & ports, not mail messages & files.

The only way to have an effective firewall is to use a separate independant device, running a firmware OS loaded off a read-only medium (eg NOT A PC, ESP NOT A WINDOWS PC). If you run a firewall on Windows, the worms will just come in 'underneath' the wall.

Software firewalls are the most useless products since 'RAM Doublers'...
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I've turned everything off a few times, still no joy. The link to get there.....scrol down to the part where they state their forum satrted in 2002, that links to it. I do it from work all the time.

Lightfighter
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:25:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Uninstall stupid software firewall

Buy hardware router/firewall unit

DONE, no more problem

Seriously, software 'firewalls' provide absolutely no protection against network worms (ala CodeRed, Blaster, Nachi & Welchia) since worms spread at the OS level, not the application level.  

No firewall will help with viruses & e-mail worms, since firewalls screen IP packets & ports, not mail messages & files.

The only way to have an effective firewall is to use a separate independant device, running a firmware OS loaded off a read-only medium (eg NOT A PC, ESP NOT A WINDOWS PC). If you run a firewall on Windows, the worms will just come in 'underneath' the wall.

Software firewalls are the most useless products since 'RAM Doublers'...

Thanks for the advice.

Me a computer moron.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top