Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2004 3:26:09 PM EDT
I've been applying for positions overseas (Korea) and the positions require that: "A US citizen with current Department of Defense security clearances"

Now I understand about the background checks etc.  But if I've never held a clearance and I'm wondering if what they're saying is, if you don't already work for the government in some capacity, then don't apply for the job.  Is that right?  Am I right?  Or what?  Can someone please splain to lucy on dis one.  Tanks a lot.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#1]
If they're asking for a "current" DOD Secret, you're most likely out of luck. The DSS is so backed up with security clearance investigations now that they're bringing in contract investigators. Most likely the employer in this case has an immediate tasking with no time to wait for your investigation paperwork to make its way through the stack in some investigator's in box.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:33:52 PM EDT
[#2]
What they are saying is that they don't want to spend all the money to have the DSS or whoever investigate you from scratch. If you get out of the military with a current and valid clearance you are like gold, because it saves the people hiring you a lot of money. Plus, the investigation take a bit of time to complete and most of the agencies who do it are quite backlogged so odds are if you don't have one you'll be lucky if they hire you... hence their putting it in the job description. Sometimes, I believe they hire some people for the position, and can either put you in a temp position that doesn't require a clearance or they'll give you an interim clearance that has certain limitations on it until your full investigation is complete.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess there's no way for me to obtain one of those clearances...

Thank you for your interest in our job opening.  This position requires the possession of a security clearance.  If you presently maintain one or have within the last two years, please advise for further consideration.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:00:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually I want to say I have heard of companies that are approved to do it if you are willing to pay... A LOT!!!

You're better off either looking somewhere else, calling the company and asking if they'll hire you anyway, or at least asking them if they have any positions that could be filled that would later require you to have a clearance.

There are so many people getting out wih clearances though, that it isn't too hard for them to fill those slots.

www.dss.mil/

www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A52768-2003Feb10?language=printer

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I guess there's no way for me to obtain one of those clearances...

Thank you for your interest in our job opening.  This position requires the possession of a security clearance.  If you presently maintain one or have within the last two years, please advise for further consideration.

Yeah, I don't know if there's any way to get one outside of being in govt service.  They run $10-15k, I think.  The DOE Q clearance (basically DOD TS) is taking about 18 months now.  I know DOE is contracting out a lot of the work to Pinkerton.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If they're asking for a "current" DOD Secret, you're most likely out of luck. The DSS is so backed up with security clearance investigations now that they're bringing in contract investigators. Most likely the employer in this case has an immediate tasking with no time to wait for your investigation paperwork to make its way through the stack in some investigator's in box.

I just had mine REdone. It took 3 months and it was done by a contract investigator because of the backlog.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#7]
My clerearance was finally adjudicated Dec 03.  I initially put in the paperwork in Jan 03.  The DSS contracted guy that came out to do my backgound interview said they are running at least 12 months behind.  I am getting close to retirement so I asked how much the job pays.  They pay next to nothing (at least in CO).  It's no wonder the clearances are taking so long.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#8]
If the position requires a Confidential clearance, you might not be out of luck - these go through quickly.  Sometimes, a contractor can spend a "silver bullet" to expedite a  Secret of TS clearance for a key person.

If you want the job, don't let the clearance stop you - you maight be able to get hired and put to work without the clearance up front.

As pointed out above, DIS investigations are backed up in the extreme, and, the contractor may just be trying to get by on the cheap.  If they want to hire you, the clearance won't be much of a barrier.

If you are pursuing an engineering job at Boeing, go ahead and apply - we are hurting for help in several disciplines, and they post this requirement on nearly every job posting whether it is true or not.  What often happens at this company is that an uncleared person will start work and free up a cleared person to fill a position.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:35:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks all for your advice.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top