Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2004 3:17:24 PM EDT
I've been trying to follow the guides on doom9.org to rip a dvd down to a .avi file on my pc.

I get through ripping it and end up with a single file with the extension .vob. When I compress the file using the divx 5 codec, I end up with a movie file that has no sound.

Does anyone know how you get the sound out of this .VOB file that is ripped from the DVD?

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#2]
use imgtool.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've been trying to follow the guides on doom9.org to rip a dvd down to a .avi file on my pc.

I get through ripping it and end up with a single file with the extension .vob. When I compress the file using the divx 5 codec, I end up with a movie file that has no sound.

Does anyone know how you get the sound out of this .VOB file that is ripped from the DVD?

Ok red this is what you do
1 get dvd shrink
2 get dvd decrypter

first you shrink it, select the option that dvd decrypter open on its own
dvd decrypter will then open as soon as it has been compressed and decrypt it
save to c drive as a ISO file .. from there it is easy.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
use imgtool.

where do I find that?

Here's a complication ... all I have are the .VOB files, no DVD because my brother has them in fricken north dakota.

btw, I'm not trying to make a copy of the DVD using a DVD burner ... I don't have one of those.

I'm trying to make a compressed avi file I can store on a CD rom.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:34:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok nevermind then.
www.coujo.de/
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:37:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DVD Shrink is for creating backups not .avi's.

If you have a DVD burner DVD shrink will rip and burn with just that program.

What you are trying to do is take the DVD files (vobs) and convert them to .avi format. You need another program altogether. DivX rips into .avis and then you have to reformat to Mpeg2 to burn onto a DVD.

But why are you doing this? Creating avis causes a lot of quality loss. People make avis simply to have a smaller file (smaller than mpeg2) to swap online and that is about it.

I know what DVD shrink does, and I'm not using that (other people mentioned it, not me) ... I don't have a DVD burner.

I'm trying to create a copy of a DVD that I can store on a CD-rom (700 mb). Quality isn't vital. It's not an entertainment movie just a guy standing there and talking.

Anyway, I've been trying to follow the guide found here:

www.doom9.org/gknot-main3.htm

and am having a tough time getting audio with the video. I keep ending up with an .avi file compressed down to the size I want, but with no sound.

As I said above, I only have the .VOB file, not the actual disc, to start with because the DVD was ripped using DVDdecrypter program a few months ago when my brother was visiting (he took the DVD home with him).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top