Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2004 2:08:39 PM EDT
Deputies on the chase after a bear in an upscale neighborhood.

Bear was spotted swimming in a pool by a concerned citizen.Deputies were dispatched to the area and are pursuing with guns drawn.

Possible mandatory evacuation due to the developing dynamic tactical situation(sheriffs words not mine).

Reporter on phone with resident who spotted bear in pool. Said he is scared.

Developing...
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:28:20 PM EDT
[#1]
LOL.

and ABC7 now has 'LIVE!' footage of a large shark in the water off Pacific Palisades.

::stands back as all my local 'news' stations dispatch their satellite trucks for 'NATURE SHOTS!!1!'
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn people are dumb.

If I had a pool, I'd rather have a bear swimming in it without my permission than annoying neighbor kids ("get OFF my lawn!").

And what kind of threat is a shark?  It's going to get out of the water and mug people on the boardwalk?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#3]
The bear will go away soon, just a dip in the pool because of the hot weather that we have been having in So. Kali-fornia. It's 95ºF in the shade under my patio right now in the San Gabriel Valley, 10 miles east of L.A. I bet that is the part of L.A. that fell into the sea in the movie 10.5!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]
The animals have had enough .:(
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Tony Soprano has one hanging around his place.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Does  the Pope, eerrrr, one hand clapping, errr NO NO I'll get it.  

Yeah that's it.  Does a bear shit in the pool?

My bro-in-law is  a Sheriff's Deputy out of La Crescenta who has rolled on a fair number of bear calls.  He has told me the pool owner is usually the first to shit when they find a bear in their pool.  

Although my dad nearly did when he lifted the skimmer lid to plug the vacumn hose in and a baby possum hissed at him.

(bears in Agoura Hills, sharks off Malibu  darn couldn't happen to nicer neighborhoods.  I especially like the comment last night about the sharks being 7-8 ft "baby" Great Whites not being scared off by boats and probably staying all summer.)
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll see your wussy loose bear, and raise you a 400 lb  loose lion in Columbus, OH!
Been spotted several times by officers and truck drivers.  It's now located near the airport.  About a mile from my work.  I'm staying inside today.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:41:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Lions and sharks and bears, oh my!          

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Tonight's dinner pics should be very interesting...
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#10]
They're trying to kill it for taking a swim? Sometimes I root for the animals......

Now if it comes in the house for a snack after the swim, that's different.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#11]
better call the pool guy...

you think your smelly-ass dog messes up the pool!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I can see it now...

2 deputies corner bear & expend 40+ rounds trying to put it down.

Bear is finally killed when 3rd deputy arrives with more appropriate armament: trunk shotgun...
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:54:02 PM EDT
[#13]
You might have native bears around you, but we have lions in our area.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=241871
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:57:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Damn JBT's!  Poor bear will probably end up with a boot or a knee in the back of its neck, right, TJ?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:24:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m reminded of what I once heard a Park Ranger say once on the Discovery Channel (?Maybe?)

“I once got a call from a woman calling about a bear in her backyard.  I told her, ‘That’s interesting.  I just got a phone call from a bear calling about a human in his Front yard.’”
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I heard about the loose Lion in Ohio earlier. I saw news footage with a cop with a bolt gun (308? 270? 30-06?) and another guy walking with him unarmed.  The first thing I thought of was why don't they have a shotgun?  00 Buck?, Slugs?  Remember that clip that was going around a few months back?  Canned Lion hunt and they shot it about 10-15 times with BIG Guns, Lion Guns calibers!  It still nearly ate them for lunch.  That cop better hope he does not find said Lion.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:36:17 PM EDT
[#18]
lion news report

A lion on the loose is really keeping people on their toes and police on the prowl.

Wednesday's search, like Tuesday's, was focused on the area near the airport after new lion sightings were reported, and now there is more evidence that the lion is in that airport area.

The search on Wednesday started on the west side of Stelzer Road on airport grounds after a 911 call was made to the Franklin County Sheriff's office.

"There was a call that there was a lion in this area. Our air traffic tower was contacted and their people looked with binoculars and they saw brown animals," said Chief Richard Morgan of the airport police.

As it turns out, the animals were deer grazing at the edge of the woods.

Chief Morgan has no doubt there is a full grown lion in the airport area, saying "At least four officers have seen a female lion."

In fact it was the sighting by the officers that prompted Tuesday's search. The consensus was that a coyote caused the commotion, but Officer Harry Fisher disagrees, saying, "There was a man and a woman and they said there's your lion, and I saw it take off. It jumped across a small stream and went up the embankment."

Wednesday, looking for the lion became a spectator sport.

One mother said, "My boys wanted to see the lion, they've been worried about it, they've been locking the windows and doors."

The onlookers were disappointed, but there is no question in Fisher's mind that the lion is here.

"The way it ran it was a very distinct run," he says.

Chief Morgan is asking people to stay away from the fields and wooded areas in the airport. He is taking the lion threat quite seriously.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top