Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/4/2004 2:03:46 PM EDT
I was just reading another post regarding the refusal to donate organs or blood.  It saddens me to think some people are so selfish that they won't even give up thier body parts when they are dead.  Maybe age or circumstance can change minds.  

I would like to say "Thank You" to all who have given freely.  My cousin was diagnosed with cancer and was given blood and platelets, so it hits home for me.

I give blood on a regular basis.  I have given 8+ gallons so far and am proud of it.  This is not a competition, just an atta boy for doing a good deed.  How much have you given?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:06:41 PM EDT
[#1]
My wife donates regularly. I tend to make it about twice a year.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:08:44 PM EDT
[#2]
NONE since I was stationed in england. They refuse to accept blood from people that have been there for an extended period of time. Oh well.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:10:08 PM EDT
[#3]
willingly?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried but the wouldn't let me because I was one pound under the minimum weight. After I pop out a kid or two, I'll go back and try to donate again.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:12:20 PM EDT
[#5]
None. I help people in other ways, but as they say "no good deed goes unpunished".
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:13:13 PM EDT
[#6]
i used to danate regularly. i had to stop for several years after i left the army due to several experimental vaccines i had. I started again a couple of years ago and promptly quit when i found out the local blood bank sells my information to telemarketers. I do my best to avoid the red cross as time and time again i watched them fuck over people in need.

mike
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Somewhere around the five gallon mark for me.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I finally fought my strong fear of needles and donated about two months ago.  I'm planning to do it again once they come back to Miami University.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm on the bad list with the homosexuals and IV drug users.

I spent more than six months in the UK.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#10]
60 pts or so.  I haven't given in a while and I'm not sure why.  It didn't seem to be as much "fun" and the people taking the blood seemed like it was just a job.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Just a pint over two gallons. Give as often as I can manage to get to the blood bank. I started giving in honor of my brother that ultimately lost his life due to bad blood given to him during heart surgery.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I was well on my way to my second gallon, but they won't take my blood anymore, since I spent 27months in Africa back in the early 90s.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Just a pint over two gallons. Give as often as I can manage to get to the blood bank. I started giving in honor of my brother that ultimately lost his life due to bad blood given to him during heart surgery.

Bad blood?  You mean it was dead or something?  Yikes!  Sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:38:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I was well on my way to my second gallon, but they won't take my blood anymore, since I spent 27months in Africa back in the early 90s.

I give as well - but I guess my time in Africa in th late 80s (which was far less than cduarte) doesn't quite disqualify me.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I used to donate blood, but in the afternoon hours of Sep 11, 2001, I was informed mine is no good, seeing how I spent a couple or three decades in Europe.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I used to donate blood, but in the afternoon hours of Sep 11, 2001, I was informed mine is no good, seeing how I spent a couple or three decades in Europe.

Did they give you a specific reason?

Usually that only applies to having lived in a country where "mad cow" is found, or having lived in certain african countries.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Travel Outside of U.S.

·        defer 12 months for travel into areas with a risk of malaria

·        defer 3 years after having lived for 1 year or more in a malarial-risk area

·        defer indefinitely if during 1980 - 1996 spent a total time that adds up to 6 months or more in the United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Isle of Man, Channel Islands)

·        see AIDS section
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Around 3 gallons of blood and I donated platelets for a friend once.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I have given ZERO - not a drop.  My blood's not good enough for them.  I spent a year in Europe (Bosnia) in teh Army and was told that disqualifies me.  Oh well.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Travel Outside of U.S.

·        defer 12 months for travel into areas with a risk of malaria

·        defer 3 years after having lived for 1 year or more in a malarial-risk area

·        defer indefinitely if during 1980 - 1996 spent a total time that adds up to 6 months or more in the United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Isle of Man, Channel Islands)

·        see AIDS section

That's my point - there's no prohibition against giving blood for living in "Europe" - I was just wondering if Kar98 had lived in the U.K., or if someone didn't know what they were talking about when they told him no.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Me and my wife tried to donate at the gun show they had the blood mobile there. But here iron was too low and my blood pressure was too high.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I was well over 5 gallons when I was put on the permanently deferred list.  My sin was that when my platelets were being tested in the lab, a sloppy lab tech cross contaminated my sample and the samples of 5 other regular platelet doners.  Subsequent tests showed that I didn't have either Hep or HIV, but since there is no protocol approved by the USDA for re-entering the system after a perm deferment, I am SOL as a donor.

I started giving whole blood 30 years ago this Spring.  Then, several years ago, I started giving 2-4 units of platelets every month or so.  They need platelets for kids with Leukemia and other cancer victims.  The only draw back was they would shoot me so full of anti-coagulents that I would have one whopper of a nosebleed within 24 hours.  

Nosebleed or not, I would start donating again if they would take me.  BTW, the most I ever got for giving was a leftover blood drive t-shirt every few months.  They had guidelines about not giving any inducements to donate, so we just did it out of a sense of moral obligation.

If a flabby, 50-ish salesman like me has the guts to give, I don't see why you flatbellies can't mosey over and give a pint.  

Regards,
Mahatma
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Almost a gallon at blood drives.

Involuntarily in Afghanistan a lot more...
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:00:29 PM EDT
[#26]
On my third card.  Doubt I will catch my Dad who had made 8 gallons.  Several years of deferments due to military travels to malaria areas and anti-malarial drugs.

Although the Lady nearly fainted once when she asked if I had had any shots lately and I told her her "Bubonic Plague, Typhoid, Typhus, Yellow and Dengue Fever."  Damn it hurts when they decide to get your shot card up to date.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:04:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Travel Outside of U.S.
·        defer 12 months for travel into areas with a risk of malaria
·        defer 3 years after having lived for 1 year or more in a malarial-risk area

·        defer indefinitely if during 1980 - 1996 spent a total time that adds up to 6 months or more in the United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Isle of Man, Channel Islands)

You're a bit mistaken, the Red Cross' current eligibility rules concerning "Mad Cow" are listed below. I'm banned for life for eating a steak.

The American Red Cross donor eligibility rules related to vCJD are as follows:

You are not eligible to donate if, since 1980, you :

Spent a total time of 3 months or more in any of these countries:
England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Channel Islands, or

Spent a total time of 6 months or more in any combination of these countries:
Albania, Andorra, Austria, Azores, Belarus, Belgium, Boznia/Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Channel Islands, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, England, Estonia, Falkland Islands, Faroe Island, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Greenland, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Republic of), Isle of Man, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Madeira Islands, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Netherlands (Holland), Northern Ireland, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Scotland, Slovak Republic (Slovakia), Slovenia, Spain, Svalbard, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, Vatican City, Wales, Yugoslavia (includes Kosovo, Montenegro and Serbia)

Received insulin derived from cattle (bovine) from any of the countries listed above

Received a blood transfusion in any of these countries:
England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Channel Islands
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:11:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Travel Outside of U.S.
·        defer 3 years after having lived for 1 year or more in a malarial-risk area

·        defer indefinitely if during 1980 - 1996 spent a total time that adds up to 6 months or more in the United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Isle of Man, Channel Islands)

You're a bit mistaken, the Red Cross' current eligibility rules concerning "Mad Cow" are listed below. I'm banned for life for eating a steak.

England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Channel Islands, or

Albania, Andorra, Austria, Azores, Belarus, Belgium, Boznia/Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Channel Islands, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, England, Estonia, Falkland Islands, Faroe Island, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Greenland, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Republic of), Isle of Man, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Madeira Islands, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Netherlands (Holland), Northern Ireland, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Scotland, Slovak Republic (Slovakia), Slovenia, Spain, Svalbard, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, Vatican City, Wales, Yugoslavia (includes Kosovo, Montenegro and Serbia)

Received insulin derived from cattle (bovine) from any of the countries listed above

England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Channel Islands

Where'd you find this?

I ask because I regularly give blood, and haven't seen that on any of the forms - yet according to this list, I shouldn't be allowed to give blood.

I guess Kar98 was right.

So I can't give blood anymore?  That would suck
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I haven't given blood in quite some time but I have no aversion to it.

I saw the thread about organ donors but didn't have the time to reply to it. My driver's license is marked "Organ Donor". When I'm dead and gone I'll have no use for them-may as well try giving whatever's good to someone that can use it. Besides, my best friend back in Missouri is the recipient of a liver transplant and to that I'm 110% thankful. If my organs can give someone a life, no problem.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#30]
0.0 oz.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#31]
7+ gallons
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Travel Outside of U.S.

Where'd you find this?

I ask because I regularly give blood, and haven't seen that on any of the forms - yet according to this list, I shouldn't be allowed to give blood.

I guess Kar98 was right.

So I can't give blood anymore?  That would suck

I just found those rules on the Red Cross page as well - so I guess I technically should not give blood anylonger.  Damn

I wonder if they're planning to update it, since a lot of those countries seem to be on the list as a result of even having had ONE case of mad cow, or haveing imported beed from a country with mad cow, and now the U.S. is on the list of countries that has had at least one case of mad cow, and so if they extend those ssame rules, nobody in the U.S. should now be allowed to give blood in the U.S.  

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#33]
ive voluntarily donated once, the Fort Bragg blood folks came around so i gave em some. I plan on doing it next time as well
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did they give you a specific reason?

Probably. Alas, it seems it slipped my mind. I was both mad and bummed.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:06:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Just passed the three gallon mark myself.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I think my next whole blood donation makes it 2 gallons. I've been doing apheresis (sp?) donations, lately. They pretty much separate the blood components they need (amount based on your weight and blood type) and put the rest back - sort of an auto-transfusion, I guess. Depending on what they take, you can donate a lot more frequently. I gave a "double-dose" of just platelets around the holidays and could donate again in 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#37]
What ever happened to the days of places paying for your blood?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#38]
36 pints. The Red Cross comes to the hospital where I work every 2 months. I give everytime. They will be there next week.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#39]
6 gallons the last time.

Did platelet pheresis for a year or so, then developed an allergic reaction to the anti-coagulant so I stopped that, but I still give whole blood regularly.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#40]
zilch!

Have Epstein Bar virus and am on too many meds.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#41]
I've donated four times to a college to use for classes (not for transfusions).  Tried six times with the Red Cross.  Successful zero times.  A couple of times my hemoglobin was too high and once the specific density of my blood was too high.  The other three times it was because of where I'd spent time for work.  There's so many rules now that I'm surprised the Red Cross collects any blood at all.  Even at church with close to 75 people trying, they only had five that they allowed to give.  None of those five can give any longer after four went on a missions trip to central Africa and the other spent time in England for work.  The church doesn't even bother trying any more.  The national Red Cross doesn't have a maximum age for donations, but I'm past the age that the local one will take so I don't guess I ever will give.z
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#42]
I tried once, and it didn't go well. Talked to them about doing it again and since I couldn't answer no to the "under care of a doctor" question, I dropped it for a while. I'm going to have a bunch of metal taken out of my foot in a few days so it will be longer yet.

In regards to the donor issue, in principal I'd support it but as I understand things they rape your body for all kinds of things that add up to several hundred thousand dollars worth of stuff that goes to things like cosmetic surgery. Remove leg bone, replace with 2x2 kind of crap. I'd be happy to donate if I was confident that lifesaving and/or medically essential organs and tissues were the end of the matter. Body pirates can kiss my dead grits.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:12:49 PM EDT
[#43]
I donated Yesterday and I hit the 9 Gallon Mark.  The Blood Bank I go to gives you a license plate frame with the number of gallons you have donated.  It has taken me almost 14 years of going regularly to get there.  I try to go every 56 days, but sometimes get behind if I'm sick or busy.

My Brother hit 10 gallons two months ago and my Mom's Husband, Ross was almost to 20 gallons when he finally had to quit due to medications he is taking.

Everyone who is able should in my opinion give blood.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:22:46 PM EDT
[#44]
None, I've been diabetic for 20 years so they won't take mine.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:27:30 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd guess about 8-10 pints.

I donated one to my wife. Does that count? She only used the white blood cells though.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:53:23 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Then, several years ago, I started giving 2-4 units of platelets every month or so.  They need platelets for kids with Leukemia and other cancer victims.  The only draw back was they would shoot me so full of anti-coagulents that I would have one whopper of a nosebleed within 24 hours.  

Nosebleed or not, I would start donating again if they would take me.  BTW, the most I ever got for giving was a leftover blood drive t-shirt every few months.  They had guidelines about not giving any inducements to donate, so we just did it out of a sense of moral obligation.

If a flabby, 50-ish salesman like me has the guts to give, I don't see why you flatbellies can't mosey over and give a pint.  

Regards,
Mahatma

I've got a 5 gallon pin for whole blood.
I too donate platelets at the City of Hope because it take something like 8 units of whole blood to get one unit of platelets. I have to sit in that stupid chair for 2 hours to get 2 units of platelets. My nieghbor's friend works at the City of Hope as a pediatric nurse, and she say they use at least 2 units of platelets per patient per day.  In the phresis center, I've seen little kids still sucking on a bottle there because of cancer. Donate platelets just reminds me how fortunate I am that I don't have those ailments.

KeithC Jame_Retief sum-rifle you guys the "da man" for donating platelets.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:09:45 AM EDT
[#47]
I have never donated, but I have lost alot of blood over the years.  I just wonder how much has went down the sink from nose bleeds.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:23:46 AM EDT
[#48]
I quit after 4 gallons and a couple of pints..........see the organ donation thread for my reason
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:30:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Had about two or three (I lost track, and really don't care anymore) gallons worth donated, when the Red Cross decided that
since I'd been in Germany for over 6 months, about 14 years ago, that my blood is no longer "good enough" for them.

Ah well, screw 'em..... Plus, like Beer_Slayer, I've seen the Red Cross screw people over in the past, even though they
claim to be so magnanimous in their giving during emergencies. They're on my shitlist, just below Sarah & her crew.......
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:45:23 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Somewhere around the five gallon mark for me.

Epstein-Barr virus, frequently referred to as EBV, is a member of the herpesvirus family and one of the most common human viruses. The virus occurs worldwide, and most people become infected with EBV sometime during their lives. In the United States, as many as 95% of adults between 35 and 40 years of age have been infected.

I don't see why this would keep you from giving.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top