Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2004 12:44:20 PM EDT
I know we discussed this before but I can't search... sorry!

I got a quote for a Trane and a Lennox... the prices are pretty similar, but I wanted to know what anybody who knows AC units thought was the better brand.  The Trane installer said Tranes are more reliable, the Lennox installer said Lennox units are quieter.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#1]
After 20 years in the trade, I would say Trane.   Lennox is quirky about how they do things and sometimes have really odd proprietary parts.   Ops
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Remember....it's hard to stop a Trane!   But I just got a Carrier system so WTF do I know.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Go with a goodman unit. Get a 13 seer or higher cause they have a lifetime warranty on the compressor. Nobody has that kind of warranty. Trane, Carrier lennox all advertise so somebody pays for that...you the customer.

Rick
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Go with a goodman unit. Get a 13 seer or higher cause they have a lifetime warranty on the compressor. Nobody has that kind of warranty. Trane, Carrier lennox all advertise so somebody pays for that...you the customer.

Rick

from www.goodmanmfg.com:
We now offer a Lifetime Limited Warranty on the compressors in Goodman Manufacturing Company, L.P.® high-efficiency 14 SEER CLQ air conditioners, 13 SEER CLT air conditioners and 13 SEER CPLT heat pumps. This new warranty provides the original homeowner of a properly matched Goodman Manufacturing Company, L.P. high-efficiency systemusing this equipment with the most complete standard warranty protection available.

Most 12 seer and higher efficiency units have a 10 year compressor warranty.  I would not be willing to pay the labor costs to replace a compressor in a unit older than that.  Its just not worth it.  If its that old you ought to replace the whole condensing unit.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top