Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2004 12:13:11 PM EDT
I was just watching a motorcycle race on cable and the funniest thing started to happen, it started pouring rain! And you know what?

They didn't even seem like they were slowing down.

How come they stop NASCAR races at the first signs of rain and don't start again until the track dries but these motorcycle racers are still going strong in what appears to be a major downpour?

You'd think the bikes would be at a greater disadvantage in the rain.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Because Nascar drivers are a bunch of panzies. I have a problem with Nascar as far as the drivers attitude, they are the only racing sport where a driver is happy to be in 15th place (instead of last of course) but alot of them know they will get a healthy paycheck to finish 15th instead of pushing for 1st. I like F1, they dont get points past 8th place and the guys that finish 2nd and 3rd are super pissed, they dont settle for 2nd, they actually strive to win.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:17:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:18:06 PM EDT
[#3]
A. Nascar drivers are pussies.
B. Slicks, Ovals, and rain don't mix
C. Bikes and other road racers have grooved rain tires that work pretty well in the rain.
D. Nascar does have rain tires for the road courses they visit (see A)
E. There is nothing like watching F1 in the rain.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
C. Bikes and other road racers have grooved rain tires that work pretty well in the rain.

E is definitely the truth. Real racer cars run in the rain.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

WWF/NASCAR- taxi drivers in a circle jerk looking for a demolition derby

Oh yeah!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I understand the slicks thing but that's nothing a pit stop couldn't handle.

Definitely something that should be changed.

No reason to stop a race except maybe lightning.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#7]
watch a bunch of foreigners race around in cars so pussy that you cant even ram the other cars?  no thanks

ill go ahead and wait out the rain delay and watch NASCAR

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:54:49 PM EDT
[#9]
In auto racing, I have always appreciated F1 the most.   Back before ground effects, those were some guys that had really big ones.   It is a lot safer now, but there are still only a few drivers that can drive at that level.  No knock against Nascar, but F1 is a whole 'nother game.  And motorcycle drivers... those guys have got to have the biggest brass ones of all!  

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

A.  True
B.  Get rain tires.  Ovals are self cleaning.  There is no standing water on the racing surface of an oval as there would be on a road course.
C.  See B.
D.  Still waiting for them to actually use them.
E.  Or ALMS, bikes, etc.

Before someone chimes in about the speeds in the rain on an oval, a little fact.

Before the Grand Am series started, during the Rolex24 at Daytona, the Nissan GTPs, the Porsche 962s, and the Toyota Eagles were all well over 200 mph at Start/Finish AFTER coming out of the chicane on the backstretch and then having to brake down to about 70 or so for the entrance to Turn 1 and the infield.  We clocked them on more than one occasion with radar guns.  When it rained, they MIGHT slow 10 mph on the banking but that is it and they were still balls to the walls going into Turn 1.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Don't confuse Nascar with real racing.

Ain't that the damn truth.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#12]
The real reason they don't race in the rain on oval is safety.
The Nascab crew chiefs have no experience racing in the rain.
With the exception of Robby Gordon none of the drivers have any experience in the rain either.
Nascar has done very little in the way of improvements in driver's safety. They don't need to risk having one of their "young guns" hit the wall and die.

Other factors I believe are the downforce to weight ratio and the front to back weight balance. Nascabs being heavy and having little downforce along with a front mounted engine require much more grip from the rear tires than say a light, mid engine, high downforce open wheeler.

Quoted:
Before the Grand Am series started, during the Rolex24 at Daytona, the Nissan GTPs, the Porsche 962s, and the Toyota Eagles were all well over 200 mph at Start/Finish AFTER coming out of the chicane on the backstretch and then having to brake down to about 70 or so for the entrance to Turn 1 and the infield.  We clocked them on more than one occasion with radar guns.  When it rained, they MIGHT slow 10 mph on the banking but that is it and they were still balls to the walls going into Turn 1.

Heavy, low downforce, front engined car, with unproven tires and a driver that has no rain experience
VS
Medium weight, medium downforce, mid engine car with tested rain tires and an expierenced rain driver.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:04:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I work on race cars for a living in club racing (SCCA), and we race in the rain.  One event I was at we were literally racing in a tropical storm.  As far as I know, only NASCAR and they're supporting series such as Busch Cup are the only people who don't race in the rain.ViseGrip
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:13:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I work on race cars for a living in club racing (SCCA), and we race in the rain.  One event I was at we were literally racing in a tropical storm.  As far as I know, only NASCAR and they're supporting series such as Busch Cup are the only people who don't race in the rain.

ViseGrip

Did some club racing back in the '80s and ran the IMSA Firehawk series with a friend in '88 with an RX7 TurboII.  For the last 14 years or so, have been corner working and starting.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:14:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The real reason they don't race in the rain on oval is safety.
The Nascab crew chiefs have no experience racing in the rain.
With the exception of Robby Gordon none of the drivers have any experience in the rain either.
Nascar has done very little in the way of improvements in driver's safety. They don't need to risk having one of their "young guns" hit the wall and die.

Other factors I believe are the downforce to weight ratio and the front to back weight balance. Nascabs being heavy and having little downforce along with a front mounted engine require much more grip from the rear tires than say a light, mid engine, high downforce open wheeler.

Quoted:

Heavy, low downforce, front engined car, with unproven tires and a driver that has no rain experience
VS
Medium weight, medium downforce, mid engine car with tested rain tires and an expierenced rain driver.

Excuses.

If club racers, strictly amateurs can do it, so can these guys.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:24:03 PM EDT
[#16]
That was a great wet race from Jerez.

AMA Superbike won't race on the "rovals".

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:05:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Real men race Trophy Trucks in any weather.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:17:45 AM EDT
[#18]
This is such a retarded thread.

Nascar doesn't race in the rain, big friggin deal. That's not the driver's fault.

Alot of Nascar drivers have open wheel and road-racing experience. Ever seen the "swap" Jeff Gordon did driving the F1 car? After some very brief wheel time he was turning awesome laps. He could race it if he was in the cockpit. Come to think of it, why doesn't Boris Said, arguably one of the best road racers in the world, kick ass going in a circle in Nascar?

Alot of Nascar drivers, including Robbie Gordon, John Andretti and Tony Stewart were winners in open wheel.

What about World of Outlaws? Are they pussies cause they don't race in the mud? The cars and tracks (and tires) aren't made for it, that's why they stop in the rain....not because the drivers are pussies. As someone who's been behind the stick of a 410 Sprint I can assure you there's nothing pussy about it....rain or not.

Why piss on each other's shoes about which sport is "real racing"? Bring Mikka Hakkinen over here, stick his ass in a Cup Car and he'll suck ass. So will Dale Jr. in Hakkinen's car - but give them each some time and I'd bet my ass each would be formidable in no time. I've seen Dale Jr. race road course, he's pretty damn good at it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:34:02 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
This is such a retarded thread.

Nascar doesn't race in the rain, big friggin deal. That's not the driver's fault.

Alot of Nascar drivers have open wheel and road-racing experience. Ever seen the "swap" Jeff Gordon did driving the F1 car? After some very brief wheel time he was turning awesome laps. He could race it if he was in the cockpit. Come to think of it, why doesn't Boris Said, arguably one of the best road racers in the world, kick ass going in a circle in Nascar?

Alot of Nascar drivers, including Robbie Gordon, John Andretti and Tony Stewart were winners in open wheel.

What about World of Outlaws? Are they pussies cause they don't race in the mud? The cars and tracks (and tires) aren't made for it, that's why they stop in the rain....not because the drivers are pussies. As someone who's been behind the stick of a 410 Sprint I can assure you there's nothing pussy about it....rain or not.

Why piss on each other's shoes about which sport is "real racing"? Bring Mikka Hakkinen over here, stick his ass in a Cup Car and he'll suck ass. So will Dale Jr. in Hakkinen's car - but give them each some time and I'd bet my ass each would be formidable in no time. I've seen Dale Jr. race road course, he's pretty damn good at it.

Come on man, just admit that NASCAR is the gayest form of auto racing on the planet.  Go fast (as fast as your restrictor plate will let you, anyway), turn left... if that isn't like watching paint dry I don't know what is.  Oohh those tube frame chassis are so high tech (for 1964), and pushrod V8's are the engine of the future.  Watch formula 1, rally, midgets, indy lights or your uncle Steve in the local lawnmower races... whatever you watch it'll be more eventful than hearing how skillfully billybob pulled low in turn 3 for the two hundreth time.  Ugh.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:34:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Your all wrong! NHRA has all of you beat! 300 mph straight to the finish line baby!
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:46:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Come on, you cant possibly say a motorcycle is more suited to racing in the wet than a car.

If a guy on 2 wheels out in the open wearing a plastic bag, with a contact patch the size of your fist can race in the wet, I THINK nascar should be able to handle it.

And BTW did you see rossi save that highside! Man what a performer, taking a pay cut and a BIG possibility at not retaining his motoGP championship title just to make the sport more entertaining for the fans.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:27:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I spoke to Terry Labonte earlier tonight.  I'll run back upstairs in a few, and let him know what you think of him.  I'm sure he will care.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:35:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Come on man, just admit that NASCAR is the gayest form of auto racing on the planet.  Go fast (as fast as your restrictor plate will let you, anyway), turn left... if that isn't like watching paint dry I don't know what is.  Oohh those tube frame chassis are so high tech (for 1964), and pushrod V8's are the engine of the future.  Watch formula 1, rally, midgets, indy lights or your uncle Steve in the local lawnmower races... whatever you watch it'll be more eventful than hearing how skillfully billybob pulled low in turn 3 for the two hundreth time.  Ugh.

I guess Nascar is boring if all you see is circles. I see racing where the competitors battle each other, instead of the track. Passing is frequent (unlike F1, or the Schumacher in the lead show as I call it). Management of tires, brakes and gas matter, pit crews can make or break you, and the cars are pretty much equal. Old technology? Yup, but so is your 1911. Throw it away plz.

And, last time I checked, Nascar does run road courses.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of Nascar....but I respect it as a sport where you must have a perfect formula of driver/team/setup to win. Takes skill, and there's something neat about it just like there is in NHRA, SCCA, CART or Rally.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:42:31 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Come on, you cant possibly say a motorcycle is more suited to racing in the wet than a car.

If a guy on 2 wheels out in the open wearing a plastic bag, with a contact patch the size of your fist can race in the wet, I THINK nascar should be able to handle it.

And BTW did you see rossi save that highside! Man what a performer, taking a pay cut and a BIG possibility at not retaining his motoGP championship title just to make the sport more entertaining for the fans.

Actually the smaller contact patch is more desirable in the rain.  Hydroplaning is lessened with a small patch as opposed to the large surface of the Nascar dry weather slick.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:13:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Thats why cars have rain tires.

Yes, motorcycle tires are less prone to hydroplaning but have much less traction. The tire will not take as much HP/toruqe/force before it lets loose.

And for you physics nuts, i am NOT talking about force of friction which I know has nothing to do with surface area.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:36:35 AM EDT
[#26]
LOVE the responses!

Yes, TRUE RACERS do perform in the rain......."Prom Queens" squeel and head for the pits and cover from the "Icky, icky rain!"

Watch the motorcycle racers and you'll see their style change dramatically as the raindrops fall.

Watch the NASCAR types style change too as the drops fall..........from "Good old Racer Boys" to "Garage Princes"........

"Do IT in the Rain!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top