Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2004 8:19:58 AM EDT
OK, what's so great about Rolex watches?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#1]
they are expensive.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:22:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Bling Bling
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:33:28 AM EDT
[#3]
people will kick your ass to get yours, .....that should tell you something...
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:40:43 AM EDT
[#4]
How else are you gonna be the number 1 stunna?

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:41:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought a GMT Submariner back when they were.....well......still to much in the PX in Nha Trang.Still have it.Needs a new crystal(scratched up and fuzzy)have had it repaired once.Still ticks if you jiggle it.I like cheap digital throwaway watches now.    
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
They're good watches.  More over, you can be stranded anywhere in the world and use your watch to get back home.  Everyone knows them, everyone knows they're money.

Besides, you should always carry:
1. A gun.
2. An extra magazine/ammo.
3. A good knife.
4. A flashlight.
5. A cellphone.
6. A Rolex.

And a white handkerchief and an Amex card
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:56:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Some people have a name brand fetish. They chase "the best," regardless of the realities. A Casio G-Shock Solar Atomic Watch Stainless Case & Bracelet is a far better instrument, but won't score you any bragging rights at the office or a five star restaurant. You can go to the shops and ask them what  the best is. They will recommend the product they happen to carry that is best for them, after asking you for a price range.

If I got a Rolex, it would be for the bragging rights.

You forgot a towel!!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
They're good watches.  More over, you can be stranded anywhere in the world and use your watch to get back home.  Everyone knows them, everyone knows they're money.

Besides, you should always carry:
1. A gun.
2. An extra magazine/ammo.
3. A good knife.
4. A flashlight.
5. A cellphone.
6. A Rolex.

Very true!!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:27:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You forgot a towel!!!

Not just a towel, but one soaked in nutrients!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I own a stainless steel submariner and have had it for 14 years. Looks just like it did the day I bought it, never skips a beat, great dive watch.

Sure, there are others that can claim the same (minus a lot of the craftsmanship), but whatever, I got the $$$ and it wasn't a big deal. I love the watch. It'll out last my great grand kids.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted: " I bought a GMT Submariner back when they were.....well......still to much in the PX in Nha Trang.  Still have it.  Needs a new crystal(scratched up and fuzzy)have had it repaired once.Still ticks if you jiggle it.I like cheap digital throwaway watches now. "

I bought an Oyster Perpetual Date Rolex in 1968 at a PX in Quan Loi for $300.00.  Saw one advertised in Time Mag for $1,200.00 new 5 years ago.

The bad news is that I traded it for a Soloflex ten years ago and thought I had gotten the better deal.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I have an Oyster Perpetual Date.  I think it's a beautiful watch.  To me, watches are like art.  I just love them.  There was a thread on here a while back that had some really nice watches in it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:48:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought a swiss 'fake' for about $650.  They are great watches and every bit as good of quality as a Rolex.  YOu can't tell the difference.  Most Jewelers can't even tell.  All the links have serial numbers and the second hand sweeps as smooth as glass.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Rolex's can loose up to 6 seconds per day and still be in factory spec. That should tell you something about the "Best mechanical watch in the world". Buy a Casio. For the price of the most popular Rolex, the $8700.00 Submariner, you can buy a truck load of Casios.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have an Oyster Perpetual Date.  I think it's a beautiful watch.  To me, watches are like art.  I just love them.  There was a thread on here a while back that had some really nice watches in it.

That may have been my IWC or Breitling thread...I wound up w a Concord Impressario Manual chronometer w/ a crystal back.  If the Pic Server was up I'd post pix of it ... Quite pretty and looks like a piece of jewelry unlike my Rollie.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I own one as well. Mine is the gold and stainless model bought new in 1986. My Dad gave it to me for college graduation and I wear it everyday. He died that same year and I treasure it and always will.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#20]
James Bond (007) wears one. Or rather, he used to, until Omega paid more for the product placement. Maybe he'll have a Casio in the next movie, and be packing a Norinco ?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:40:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That may have been my IWC or Breitling thread...I wound up w a Concord Impressario Manual chronometer w/ a crystal back.  If the Pic Server was up I'd post pix of it ... Quite pretty and looks like a piece of jewelry unlike my Rollie.

Yes, it was!  I love those IWC watches.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#22]
there used to be a lot of good self winding mechanical watches. rolex hit with the waterproof oyster case and never looked back. As far as time keeping, i dont rate it any better than omega, tag or even a good bulova or seiko for that matter.
I personally have an gold omega seamaster that I am quite fond of, its only off a couple minutes a month.  Looks to match any rolex.
Lebrew
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:47:07 PM EDT
[#23]
While in Iraq, we could buy Rolex watches for $35.00 each or a matched his and her's set for $65.00.  You guys must be shopping in the wrong stores.

Shootist
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:12:22 PM EDT
[#24]
My Seadweller went in for servicing.  $450 later and that was wholesale since my mom was friends withe jeweler.  Its recommended that you get service periodically. Rolexes are like Porsches or good looking women.  You can get other cars that actually are more functional and useful.  But its how it does what it does that makes the difference.  I too leave it in the safe most of the time and have Suunto Vector the choice of SG-1! Its got compass, temperature, barometer and altimeter functions all built in.  Not bad for $120 on sale.

The Rolex is also rated to 1220 meters underwater.  I will be dead but the Rolex will still be working!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Rolex's can loose up to 6 seconds per day and still be in factory spec.

Its LOSE! L-O-S-E

LOOSE, v.t. loos. Gr.; Heb.

1. To untie or unbind; to free from any fastening.
2. To let loose, to free from restraint or confinement; to set at liberty
3. To break loose, to escape from confinement; to gain liberty by violence.
4. Wanton; unrestrained in behavior; dissolute; unchaste; as a loose man or woman.
5. Disengaged; free from obligation; with from or of.
6. Unengaged; not attached or enslaved.
7. Not crowded; not close or compact.
8. Not tight or close; as a loose garment.
9. Unbound; untied; unsewed; not fastened or confined; as the loose sheets of a book.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#26]
My rolex is spelled with 2 Ls!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I think part of the atraction might be the CIA giveing them out to "people" back in Nam.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
While in Iraq, we could buy Rolex watches for $35.00 each or a matched his and her's set for $65.00.  You guys must be shopping in the wrong stores.

Shootist

Is it made in Swaziland?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Rolex is part of the successful businessmans uniform. Italian made suit and shoes, silk tie and Rolex watch. There are some places and times where you can't be taken seriously without them. The watch is not great, its the skill, savy and determination to get one that is. YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#30]
If you have to ask you don't need or deserve one. I'll take my Submariner to the grave
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Rolex don't do anything for me, I'm a breitling man myself.

However to answer your question, They just have a very good marketing department thats about it.

There are plenty of jap and swiss movement watches out there for much less.
some can out do a rolie some cant. But its a rolex stuffed full of debeers diamonds, that thanks to mega exposure the unwashed masses think must be da schizt.

Im not saying a rolex is a pos, their darn nice tickers.
But if lets say swiss army brands spent as much money on advertising and product placement as rolex.

Mr bond and all the ganster rap stars would be busting down their doors to use them.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought a Rolex Air King Gold back in 1986 - the thing has more than doubled in price.

Bling-bling chick magnet.

I've noticed that its nice to drive a Porsche but you can't bring it into the conference room ... or the bar to impress with
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#33]
You don't buy a Porsche because it gets good gas milage and has a good bumper ... you don't by a Rolex to tell time with

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#34]
A gold one with diamonds is bling, my SeaDweller is just a reliable watch that MOST people don't realize I'm wearing.  Never mind I'd never take it 4000ft under water, but it's what makes it capable of it that's special to me.  Same reason I buy KAC when Yankee Hill will do.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#35]

the  ONLY  Rolex  worth a shit is the Daytona

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:08:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I used to be a fan of the Rolex before I could afford one, if you're going to pay that kind of money for a watch then you want your watch to at least always be worth what you pay for it. There is only one watch maker who's watches always go up in value over time, Patek Philippe. They're a lil bit more than a Rolex but considering when you buy it and walk out of the store it doesn't immediately depreciate by 50% it's more than worth it.

www.patek.com

Ohh and unlike Rolex who makes their watches on an assembly line they can justify their price because it can take almost 9 years to make each watch. Each part and piece is made by hand.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
James Bond (007) wears one. Or rather, he used to, until Omega paid more for the product placement. Maybe he'll have a Casio in the next movie, and be packing a Norinco ?

007 DID have a Casio in one of the early '80s films... I think it was with Roger Moore, and it was supposed to be able to take the feed of some video camera...

I'm not a gigantic fan of Rolex.... like a Mercedes Benz or a Cadillac, the Rolex makes one seem old.

Personally, I've got a TAG Link Chronograph automatic. My dad bought it for me for graduation. This was soon after he got an Explorer II for himself. The TAG seems to keep time better than the Rolex.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Chicks do notice a Rolex.  On a flight once this very nice looking lady turned to me and asked "Is that a Yachtmaster" to which I replied "why yes it is".  Had her practically eating out of my hand by the end of the flight.  Too bad I was headed home.  Women wear bracelets, earrings and necklaces.  I like watches.  I have about 15 of them and the ones that get noticed the most are the Rolexes, followed by my Movados.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:03:21 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

$10,700 MSRP.   Ya' think?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:20:21 PM EDT
[#42]
I bought my Rolex GMT Master II in 1986 for $1,100 out the door, new, from an authorized Rolex dealer.  This has an awsome "cool factor" when worn around people that know what it is. For the people that don't know what it is, it's just a pretty sports watch. I wear it everyday, everwhere, from business meetings in Century City to drinking in strip joints. I chose this model, because for me, it had (and still does!) the X factor. It's been to Rolex of B.H. twice for cleaning. DO NOT let the jewlery store people work on your Rolex, send it the the factory service center.

"What's so great about a Rolex?"  It's the mark of a winner.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:26:54 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$10,700 MSRP.   Ya' think?

Id rahter take that money and get an M16.  Which will I enjoy more?  Which will bw e worth more.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I bought my Rolex GMT Master II in 1986 for $1,100 out the door, new, from an authorized Rolex dealer.  This has an awsome "cool factor" when worn around people that know what it is. For the people that don't know what it is, it's just a pretty sports watch. I wear it everyday, everwhere, from business meetings in Century City to drinking in strip joints. I chose this model, because for me, it had (and still does!) the X factor. It's been to Rolex of B.H. twice for cleaning. DO NOT let the jewlery store people work on your Rolex, send it the the factory service center.

"What's so great about a Rolex?"  It's the mark of a winner.

Bob, check ebay. $1,100.00 for a used Rolex is very low indeed. The same amount for a new Rolex, from a dealer, is hard to believe. Is there more to the story? No insult intended but are you related to the dealer or good friends? The big reason Rolex's are so famous are the very high prices they command. They aren't made super well. They aren't super stylish. Their designs are basic and dated. They're not craftsman made, they're machine produced. Their astronomical prices have made and kept them famous. Your watch at $1.1K is right in the price range of the best Swiss made Rolex replicas. They are so good that only an expert Rolex tech can tell them apart and only then by inspecting the insides thouroghly. (See  http://idealwatches.com/  )

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:55:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:57:29 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

007 DID have a Casio in one of the early '80s films... I think it was with Roger Moore, and it was supposed to be able to take the feed of some video camera...

I'm not a gigantic fan of Rolex.... like a Mercedes Benz or a Cadillac, the Rolex makes one seem old.

Personally, I've got a TAG Link Chronograph automatic. My dad bought it for me for graduation. This was soon after he got an Explorer II for himself. The TAG seems to keep time better than the Rolex.

I've got my eye on the TAG Link Automatic Chronometer.....mmmmmm TAG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top