Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2004 3:47:48 AM EDT
Can anyone please point me to some sites which can give me the best angle for maximum projectile range?  

If you know it through experience/whatever, could you please give me details on the angle, and possibly IM me your qualifications/experience/whatever?  I need to document the info I get, and want to get a wide range of sources.  I know artillery guys should know some things about this.

Any help will be appreciated.  This is for uni work and I managed to sneak in projectiles and stuff .
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:51:50 AM EDT
[#1]
From a physics perspective, maximum range is achieved at a 45 degree angle to the horizontal.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:56:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is a little info on the subject.

www.loadammo.com/Topics/May01.htm
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:02:11 AM EDT
[#3]
45 degrees works if air resistance can be neglected.

If air resistance has to be considered, the angle will (usually) be lower (you want greater horizontal velocity to overcome the air resistance).

After that, "It Depends".  You will need to account for all the stuff which is neglected when one says "Neglect air resistance) - air density, humidity, temperature, changes in these with altitude changes, projectile shape, etc, etc, etc.

IBT Fizassist.  

Here's a few simulators, for what they're worth:
http://jersey.uoregon.edu/vlab/Cannon/
http://www.engapplets.vt.edu/dynamics/projectile/projectile3/Projectile.html
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:13:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is a whole page of ballistic simulators.

www.stevespages.com/page8b.htm

But I think this one will give you what you want.

www.stevespages.com/exe/trajectory.exe
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:07:36 AM EDT
[#5]
20mm vulcan angle
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top