Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2004 3:42:53 AM EDT
Looking to spend less than $125 for a good new or used laser printer.

Anyone know a website that sells used HP's (not ebay) or where any deals are on a simple laser printer?

Thanks

TXL
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's one that I found. It's a few bucks more ($150) but with only $4.95 shipping (thru 5/31/04 according to the website) it might fit your needs.

Samsung ML-1740 (search for "ML1740") is listed as 17pgs/min, 600dpi, USB and Parallel Port and will handle paper from index card to legal sizes. I don't know anything about it other than what's on this website (no picture unfortunately).

segalcomputer.rite2u.com

There aren't too many models that sell for $125 or less new and old laser models that sell for that tend to be very big, heavy, noisy, and very, very slow! I love my old (bought new in 1992) HP4, but it is so slow that it seems to take forever to print, it's very noisy (not energy saver so it sits there humming forever), etc. Most Internet/mail-order places charge a lot for shipping (printers tend to be heavy), so watch out for total cost (delivered to door). You might check the yellow pages near where you live for places that repair printers, sometimes you can get a deal on a used one and avoid shipping.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:43:24 AM EDT
[#2]
THanks Len.

There was a thread back in the old days of Arfcom2 (about a month or 2 ago) that showed a panacea of printers, anyone who posted there, please feel free to help out here.

TXL
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I spent twice what you're willing to spend on an NEC SS 870.  I bought it five years ago, and I imagine the newer models are much cheaper.  This thing is a workhorse.  It is fast, and has been 100% reliable.  It is the best money I ever spent on a printer.  I use it heavily, and only now am I near the end of the original toner cartridge.  Highly recommended!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:18:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Check dealnews.com.  I think they are listing a $120 laser printer in the past few days.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I second the Samsung ML-1740.  I have the ML-1210, which is an earlier model, but the darn thing is awesome.  They are often found on sale for under $150.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#6]
The PrinterWorks is one that I recomended in the previous thread. Although they are considerably more expensive than ebay, each printer comes with a warranty. This company specializes in HP printers (Canon print engines), which is a definite asset, since Canon consumables and repair parts are cheap and widely available.

IMO, a used office "workgroup" printer is the way to go – They'll run millions of pages between overhauls, and virtualy every part is designed to be replaceable (unlike the "throwaway" designs used in some consumer models).

Also, I wouldn't rule out ebay entirely. There are a few regular ebay sellers who refurbish laser printers for a living, and offer good prices and a warranty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top