Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/21/2001 8:52:24 PM EDT
Recently, my father and I took 2 rifles (his .270,and my 10/22) to the indoor rifle range at Outdoor World (bass pro shops) here in Orlando-  They are a large chain mega-sporting goods store here in the South, and one of the few places around here to shoot indoor high-power rifle (up to .340 Weatherby).  
 The little homo at the door tells me that I can't bring my Ruger 10/22 in there to shoot.  Ready for this one?  The gun has an aftermarket pistol grip, so it cannot be shot on their range.  After seeing the grip, the bastard tells me "we don't allow assault weapons on our range." After calmly speaking to the manager, I was told that "para-military type" rifles were not allowed on their range, as he showed me the clause in his operating manual.  We returned to the range, gathered our things (leaving behind perhaps 200 bucks worth of merchandise from the store) and swore to them that we would never return.  The little cock munch at the range even had the balls to ask my dad if he still wanted to shoot there!  (He told them he would come back when the Pope converts to Judaism and that they could kiss his ass) Anyway, I was shocked as hell with Outdoor World's behavior,  and hope to educate as many others as possible about this retarded policy.  

PLEASE, don't give these bastards one nickel of your business until they revamp this policy!
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Come on, 30 folks have read this and nobody else hates these bastards????
Hard to believe. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 9:01:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey Chaz- wait one for that...I'm looking
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 9:06:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I hate them.  I was going to reply but my post was laced with profanity.  @%@ck them.  Your dad was right, they can go to hell.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World

Stores in the South and Midwest

My experience was at the Orlando, FL store, (the store in Dania, FL also has the same retarded policy-- it might be all of them).

(407) 563-5200

http://outdoorworld.com/

Tell em what you think, they will probably lie and say they are gun friendly.  They are only gun friendly when it comes to "sporting purposes."  Other than that, they are a bunch of spineless pussies.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Take your business somewhere else.  I am sure that there are plenty of other gun stores and ranges in the Central Florida area.  Life is too short, f'em!
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#6]
When you can't shoot a damn squirrel gun (stock 10/22 other than a pistol grip stock) in an indoor range, where it is acceptable to shoot a 7mm Mag. all day long, that is bullshIt.  When you are told that your legal firearm is an assualt weapon- that is also bullshIt.  When no one at a so-called sporting goods store even cares to know the law, or make any effort to serve loyal customers, that is disturbing.  I would love to see them shIt their pants when I ask if it is OK to shoot my AR and my AK at their range!  
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#7]
On another board I have read something else like this, I believe it was he was not allowed to shot a M1A at Bass Pro shop. I am never going to by from them again. The need to get on the ball there.

Six
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#9]
anti gun rules, and pro gun people giving them $$$ for the anti's
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all of your efforts!  Let's put the squeeze on these turds!

Spread the word about these wolves in sheep's clothing- by the way, their prices sucked anyway!

-Rich
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 10:09:04 PM EDT
[#11]
next time take your most evil looking AW or AK47 and see what they say, if they say to leave tell them to F off
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 10:13:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey, where did you get the pistol grip? I'd like to get one for my 10/22
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Good idea,

Maybe I could set up a whole group of my friends with AW's.  We could come in as a group (about 12 of us).  They would have to turn us all away, but I'm sure that it would send a hell of a message about their demented policy and how it WILL hurt their business.
 -Rich
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 10:14:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey Liberty,
 Try Butler Creek or Choate-they both make a fine product.
-Rich
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Bass Pro Shops... Aren't they the same as "Cabelas".  Hell, I bought a flash suppressor for my mini-14 from Cabelas.

I'm sure they also sell the pistol grip stocks for the 10/22.

They just lost about $800 to $1000 worth of business per year from this cat.

It's a .22...... attach grip... assault rifle.... remove grip... it's a .22.  Those people make about as much sense as Imbroglio's zero tolerance folks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 10:22:30 PM EDT
[#16]
The last time I looked in their catalog they sold high capacity magazines, and accesories for the Mini 14, AR-15, and even the evily dreadful 10/22. I also remember them selling ammo boxes of .223 which were in a picture next to a AR in one of their catalogs. Those hypocrites will never see another cent of my money.

Kyle
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 10:25:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Hit em where it hurts- right in their fat wallet!  I didn't know that they sold all of that stuff- the hypocrisy and stupidity of these cowards is incredible!
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 10:29:35 PM EDT
[#18]
The scoop on Bass Pro Shops:

BP was started here in Springfield Missouri where I live by John Morris...now an old fart with a shit load of money. He started it when he asked his father if he could place some fishing tackle in the chain of liquor store he owned under the name of Brown Derby. The tackle was so successful that he eventually opened his own store dedicated to fishermen, hunters and outdoorsmen. The local, original store has grown to gigantic proportions and takes up several blocks. Right now he is in the process of building a live wildlife museum scheduled to open in November.
He is one of the cities leading business men and there is no one in town with more money. But somewhere along the line he forgot his roots, at the risk of sounding like Alex Haley.
Last year he odopted a policy that they would no longer sell "assault weapons". No semi-auto handguns other than rim fire. No center fire semi rifles of any kind. Not even a Browning BAR model. No guns with evil looking black stocks.
Approximately 10% of the local stores annual revenue comes from a week long "Fall Hunting Classic" that he puts on in.....well, the fall. Last year I tried to organize a picket of the store for the event. But the people in the area did not seem to care. Not that it would have mattered to most of the "duck hunters" that come to it.
While you are boycotting him keep in mind he also owns the Redhead brand name of camping gear and Bass Tracker boats.
If you sit down with a Bass Pro catalog and a Cabellas catalog and compare prices (I've done this) their prices are identical and they have the same items in them.
Buy from Cabellas and to Hell with Johnny Morris and Bass Pro Shops.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Very interesting background info.  I wonder what made him turn yellow.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 11:10:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I have been to the Cabella's here in Michigan and they sell AR-15's. Bushmaster's to be exact.

Six
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Cabella's will be getting my money from now on.  As somebody mentioned, they are a great alternative to Redhead/Bass Pro Shops
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 11:14:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I think he figures he has more money now than he will be able to spend in his life time and he does not want to risk it with some bullshit law suit. But, be that as it may, you are correct sir, the proper term is yellow. He has got his now and does not care about the people, us (gun owners), that made him rich.
The snot nosed punk at the range in FL was probably following company policy.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 11:16:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Gunslinger:

I never knew you were from Springfield. I lived there 5 years. I have family in Ozark now (in fact, that is where all my guns are). I used to shoot (and am still a member of) the Springfield Benchrest Shooting club range out past Billings. Ahhh... 50 to 100 meter rifle, 25 meter, falling plate, and barricade pistol ranges, Clay pigeon throwers. Show up any time it is daylight and no Range Nazis to deal with. A fine place indeed.

Incidentally - I went to college there at SMS. Kept my AR in my dorm room until my junior year when I moved off campus. The campus was an anti-gun campus, but my roommate, RA, heck everyone knew about it and no one cared - or at least kept it from the Hall Director (A Flaming Liberal Commie). As an example of how it COULD have been - I had a friend who was a martial arts instructor get threatened to be kicked out of his dorm for having a pair of tsais in his room - so I guess I was lucky that I could trust all those guys.

My point is it is a rather gun-friendly area. What hurts MO is that it has not one, but two big cities with large demicommie voting blocks. Chicago doesn't harm IL poilitics as much as St. Louis and Kansas City mess with Missouri's.

Soundslike Morris sold out. Oh well, his prices were always high anyway. I used to go to Bass Pro to look at the guns, then save several $100 by going to Steve's on the south side of town. He sold me a brand new Beretta 92FS for $485 when Bass Pro wouldn't go below $650.

The focus of that store seems more on tourists than locals anyway - perhaps they feared the bad PR of "Evil" guns. It is one of the few large touristy places filled with soccer moms that you can walk in with guns though - gotta give 'em credit for that.

Adam
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 11:23:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I will also send them a letter of disaproval. Also gunslinger, can you reccomend a decent gunstore in springfield? I live in Branson.My local dealer recently moved. You ever go shoot at busek?
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 11:26:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Adam,
 My friend, they still SUCK.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 11:40:47 PM EDT
[#26]
this is what you do. Get your hands on a sar with a skulatan stock on it and see what they say no pistol grip!! and if they still bitch I would make the bigest seen they had ever seen
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 11:42:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Piss on them, they are even worse than WalMart and KMart because they are traitors.  The Benedict Arnold of sporting goods stores.
[-!-!-]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 11:42:56 PM EDT
[#28]
In December of 99 I was looking for a HK USP full size in 9mm. I called and the salesperson said he would check. He gets back on the phone and said he saw three in the safe in the back. I said I will be over in a half hour to pick one up. I asked if they could hold one for me. The salesperson said sure. I get there and I go to gun department to pick up the USP. The salesperson says "What is a HK USP?" . I told him who I spoke to and that one is being held for me. The salesperson that I spoke to comes over and says that we don't have any. By this time I was seeing red. What kind of nut jobs do they hire to work in the gun department. Its all about numbers at that place. I would rather pay more at a small gun store than to pay Bass and Pro for a firearm.

NO SLACK!
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 11:44:30 PM EDT
[#29]
I Declare War!
[heavy]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 11:47:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Garry,
 Rest assured, they would find some bullshit excuse to not let me shoot.  Next thing they will tell me that I am limited to a 5 rd. magazine capacity.  And, God forbid that the thing have a muzzle brake---ohh nooooooo!!!!  I guess I will never find out, since I wouldn't step foot on their property to take a dump on it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 12:08:34 AM EDT
[#31]
If you really want to tick them off, here is what you do. Get one of your friends to go into the store several times to look at the most expensive hunting rifle or shotgun they have. And the last time he goes into the store to look at and to pay for the weapon he should have either his check book out or a large roll of bills. Then either you or another friend shows up, and you tell the guy getting ready to pay for the rifle about what they did when you wanted to shoot your 10/22. So your friend tells the sales person that any store that treats gun owners that way will never see another cent of his money and that they can take the rifle that he was just about to pay for and shove it where the sun don’t shine. Watching all that money walking out of the store should really irritate them.   By the way it is all a set up since your friend never intended to purchase the rifle in the first place.  This can be done at any of their stores.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 12:23:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Sounds like a plan.  Maybe I'll get lucky and have a slip and fall on the way out.  My lawyer drinkin buddy says that we could really screw them.  You guys didn't hear that...[;)]

I like your idea, but the problem is not with the sales people or even the store managers.  It is the higher-ups in upper level management that allow company policy like this to continue.  The only way to screw them over is to hurt their bottom line for next quarter.  Then they will figure out that they are ass backwards- and that the customer is ALWAYS right.  My buddy's got a Barrett- maybe we could sneak it in there and get a couple shots off at the range.  That way, there would be no range left to shoot at, and they could write a new f'ing company policy for that.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 5:29:32 AM EDT
[#33]
I sent them a hate mail also....I was already ticked off at them for removing over half of their selection of guns......
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 5:39:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Their corporate policy is not only no AWs but not pistols grips on rifles or shotguns and no rifles with extended magazines.  If you brought in a regular 10/22 with no pistol grip and standard wood stock and standard 10 round mag, they would let you shoot.  But if you tried to put a 25 round mag in it they would kick you out.

The reason is, they don't want to offend the women in the store who have children with them, because their store is a "family store".  There policy is a bunch of crap and they should be made aware that you will not shop there.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 5:48:21 AM EDT
[#35]
From the "Cutting Off Our Noses To Spite Our Faces" Department:

How about we bitch about those "dealdy, scoped, high-powered sniper rifles" that they allow?  [NI]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 6:15:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 6:31:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Holy Crap!!! i was in the Dania store once and bought some targets they had on clearence...now I will never spend another penny in there ever! That is just plain Bull...I hope you put this on every gun site you can think of!
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 6:57:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Gun owners should band together.  There are millions of us and on this board alone, 10,000 registered users.  We've got a lot more power then we think, but it requires a little time on our part.  By letting these manufactures, city councilmen and business owners who treat gun owners like criminals know what we think, we can hurt them where they listen, in their pocketbooks.

There are violations against gun owners occuring like these every day around the country, a great way to put some attention on these issues is to post them and let gun owners vent their displeasure as a group.  Together we can and will make a difference.

I propose that we put up a forum right here on AR-15 that is focused to bring attention to such violations.  Buried here in general discussion is fine, but out of the 10,000 registered users, how many will see this and respond?  Can you imagine 10,000 (plus guest visitors) who might respond if they saw postings like this in their own catagory?

How about a "Gun Owners Fight Back" category on AR-15 where stories and contact information can be posted for all to see?  Hell, I'll do it on my own website, I've had enough of the media, business owners and watermelon wackos telling me what I can and cannot own and where I can and cannot shoot.

Make it a daily habit or weekly at least, to check the Fight Back category and contact the latest offender of our rights, freedoms and liberties.

Posters should give us as much contact information that they can, others, like in this thread can fill in any blanks.  We've got a great big voice if we just use it in the right direction.

I just put up as site suggestion on this topid here: [url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=24242[/url]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 7:04:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Hey AnotherGene,

I wonder if they would let me use my brass catcher for my Springfield 1911.  Brass catchers are probably illegal at that range too- you know, they are tools of assasins!  [grenade]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 7:18:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Maybe my "Semi-automatic, para-military style, black parkerized, assault pistol" is not welcome there anyway---I wouldn't want to scare one of the yuppy soccer moms.

As for Bass Pro Shops, I say hang the traitors!
[-!-]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 7:36:05 AM EDT
[#41]
[moon]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Does anybody know if Bass Pro Shops even sells pistols anymore??  
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#43]
I guess its Cabelas for me from now on. I used to drive to Bass Pro about once a month. Not anymore after reading this. What a crock. Beware.....Red Rider BB gun coming in the front door, call security, its evil looking. Maybe I'll put a pistol grip on my kids BB gun and try to bring it in. Maybe even put a rubber training bayonet on the front.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#44]
someone should(granted they want to go in there anymore) go to the shop, with pistol grip on and get rejected.  Then take the pistol grip off and try again to see what happens.  That or just go there without the pistol grip but with ALL the EVIL features:laser, scope, flashlight, beta-c, flash supressor.  Just as a fuck-with-em test.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 7:53:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Yes, they sell pistols, but only Browning Buckmark, Ruger Mark II, .22lr pistols only.  All else are revolvers.  They aren't deadly like centerfire pistols are.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 7:55:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Won't order from these bastards ever again.  Tried to write them an e-mail but it came back "error in submission."  Figures.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 8:06:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Sigh.  Once again we see the problemw with RKBA radicalism.  You know, if they don't want you to use their range, go use another range.  But there is no need to get mad at them, or campaign against them, or whatever.  They don't seem to be anti-gun, they seem to be operating on a business decision basis.  Maybe the atmosphere is a little better for those soccer moms.  That is a good thing for us.  Obviously, they have a good atmoshpere for hunters.  That is a good thing for us.  They are going for "family friendly atmosphere?"  That is good for us.  They sell rifles and shotguns and have a range where they let people shoot?  That is a good thing for us.  Need to look at the big picture, folks, which is that we need everybody we can get that supports firearms ownership and the shooting industry in any way, shape, or form.  No need to invent enemies, or to make new ones.  We already have enough of them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 8:07:38 AM EDT
[#48]
You might want to try your email again later, it did that to me at work, but the mail went through at home.  I would love to see Bass Pro Shops' stock drop like Rosie O'Donnell off a bridge.  By the way, Rosie would be OK once she hit the water- fat floats you know!
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 8:12:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Hey Darm,
 Please don't be an apologist for these Benedict Arnold's.  What if they don't let you shoot there because they decide that YOUR gun looks too scary for the yuppy soccer moms?  Until it effects you personally, I guess it is no problemo, eh?  Hey, what if they decide that pistols are too scary, and that they are not conducive to the "family atmosphere?" Where do you draw the line?

Get a sack and tell them that you will not stand for their discrimination of such a large group of active shooters.  Remember, my 10/22 rifle is not considered an assault weapon according to Federal law.  It is not pre-ban either, the gun just has a pistol grip on it.  But, if I wanted to shoot a .340 Weatherby that would be ok.   Don't apologize for these cowardly bastards.  I bet you buy S&W too.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 8:18:56 AM EDT
[#50]
PS Darn,
If you really want to help support our sport, buy from small local dealers.  Screw the mega stores, and double screw Bass Pro Shops!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top