Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2004 5:09:05 PM EDT
I feel so bad for my pet hamster. With the exception of taking him out of his cage for 15 minutes every other day, he just sits in there. I tried spicing the place up for him by getting him one of the best cages money can buy, but he still looks so damn bored. He can't possibly have much of a concept of time, but he must realize that he has spent his entire life in a cage. One can only have fun running in a wheel for a limited amount of time.

This is about the most exciting thing that happens to him all week :

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#1]

you want excitement get him a cat.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:12:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I think so, my cat loves to play, if she didn't get to I think she'd get bored.
Try finding  some clear tubing that you can build into a series of tunnels. Drill small air holes ever so often so your hampster can breath. You can put a small amount of food in different places so he'll have to hunt for it, this will give him something to do and also some exercise running thru the tubes. They used to make something like this called a Habitrail but I'm not sure if they still make it or not.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#3]
how's that trail-mix that's in the shelf taste?

Looks good.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#4]
What's that stuff in the bag?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:13:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Have your wet pussy chase him around the house.  That should relieve his boredom.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

you want excitement get him a cat.

You know what, I was going to talk about how bored my cat looks too. I was going to mention that the presence of my hamster is the only thing that gets the cat excited.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Dude, you DO realize this thing is a rodent don't you?

Please...

Bored... Schmored...

"Eat"....."Drink".... "Sleep"..."Die"...... well, that's about it for a rat don't ya think?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Hamsters are actually nocturnal animals, which is why they make for rather bad pets for children ;)

Useless fact: all hamsters sold and bred as pets in the Western world can trace their ancestry back to one breeding pair captured in Syria in 1930. Not that the hamsters care.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Please...

Bored... Schmored...

"Eat"....."Drink".... "Sleep"..."Die"...... well, that's about it for a rat don't ya think?

I'm a sucker for hamsters. They are my favorite animal in the world. I've had this one for 3 years.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I taught my dog to ring a bell, which is mounted by the backdoor, when she has to go to the "bathroom". Well, she does it when she does have to go... as well as when she doesn't. When she is just bored of being inside and wants to run around out in the yard it's, DING DING DING DING DING. She drive me frickin' nuts sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I think so, I've seen my Rot look like he was bored as hell.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes they get bored.  That's why we got another dog for the first one as a playmate.  When we bought the rats, we bought them as a pair of brothers so they have each other.  Cat's are OK alone, but dogs and most rodents are social creatures and need some companionship throughout the day.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Lady Rains kids had a ball that the put their mice in and they  would "walk" around the kitchen with them . Actually they freaked out the cat when they went to him, and they seemed t enjoy running him around.
Of course a baver cat may have given them some excitment in return.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a pet lizard (african fat-tailed gecko) for about 5 years.  When I first got him (Merlin was his name) I loved him, held him all the time and "played" with him.  But after a while I just lost interest and he just chilled in his cage for the following 4 years.  I felt so bad for him.  I considered it a blessing for him when he died.

Brian
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, of course pets get bored, they are living creatures that in the wild would be hunting, foraging, and hiding from predators, we do all that for them. So we need to provide toys and human attention to keep them from going nuts.

These are my pets, they live like kings:

"Grey Bird" the african grey parrot, notica all the toys in the cage, she loves them and they keep her very busy.

This is Piggie the bulldog and Hans the Rottweiler, spoiled little brats:

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#16]
LOL, Piggie the bulldog looks alittle bored to me, time to get out the ball and play.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#17]
As you look at more and more intelligent species of animals,  you will notice that the greater their intelligence, the greater their NEED for play.   And the more susceptible to boredom they are, too.

CJ
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:05:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Lady Rains kids had a ball that the put their mice in and they  would "walk" around the kitchen with them . Actually they freaked out the cat when they went to him, and they seemed t enjoy running him around.
Of course a baver cat may have given them some excitment in return.

Yeah, I have one of those. Actually, as soon as I started this thread, I grabbed my hamster and stuck him in the ball. He seems to enjoy it. My cat loves it too. The cat will go up and sniff it...and then the hamster will come closer to the cat, at which point the cat runs away...only to come back and sniff it again. It's a continuous cycle.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#19]

I'm a sucker for hamsters. They are my favorite animal in the world. I've had this one for 3 years.

I used to have hamsters. Now I have multiple cats. That's plenty.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Please...

Bored... Schmored...

Rats are actually very intelligent animals.  Very similar to dogs in behavior and trainability.  They are also very sweet and friendly, which is why we have pets anyhow.  Here's a pic of the two boys:

Now hamsters, they are just balls of fur that bite.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Rats are actually very intelligent animals.  Very similar to dogs in behavior and trainability.  They are also very sweet and friendly, which is why we have pets anyhow.  

I had a pet rat once. She looked like a sewer rat, but she was very sweet tempered. The only time she ever bit me was my fault - I had a Rice Krispy on the end of my finger and she grabbed at it and went too far.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:17:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:18:32 PM EDT
[#23]
How did get the leash to stay on your hamster? My teddy bear hamster easily escapes from them and the dwarf is too small.

Some things that you can do to spice up your pets life are:

1. Take them outside
Dogs aren't the only animals that love to go outside, even just for a little bit.  Both of the hamsters have a great time running around the grass. Just have to keep an eye out for cats and stuff. I used to have a cockatiel and a grey cheek parakeet that I'd take on hikes. They too liked to be let loose into the "wild" (chaperoned of course).

2. Get a hamsterball
Just be sure to section off an area thats easy to clean. Damn tailless rats can make a mess with their rolling toilets.

3. Feed them something other than their usual dried foods
some fresh veggies, fruits, peanut butter, unshelled nuts. Parrots love this stuff too.

4.  Clean their cage
When cleaning their cage, put in lots of raw building material. Stuff like shredded newspaper, clean rags, and toilet paper rolls are great.  Basically anything they can chew on or "customize" to build thier nests.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SgAAAIIVZAqpbUUlZyLiz00pBfJDh0utNEBIqNQf0o7OkDN8IRSttkd7sJ4NHMqncvxrYtR1!uhXFd32zsCDcZjKRvX3kwtXwCpCzpTMlZkBmb4!kSmucA/IMG_00050.JPG

Now hamsters, they are just balls of fur that bite.

Awwwww, they are so cute. And hey! My hammy has only bitten me once. That was when I first got him and he wasn't comfortable with me yet.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I used to have a dog that "sighed" a lot, so yes, I think animals can be bored lol.

Kevin
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Yep, and the more intelligent, the more bored. We have one intelligent dog that gets bored all the time. Our dumb dog just sleeps instead.

Maybe your hamster needs a girlfriend...
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
How did get the leash to stay on your hamster? My teddy bear hamster easily escapes from them and the dwarf is too small.

Some things that you can do to spice up your pets life are:

1. Take them outside
Dogs aren't the only animals that love to go outside, even just for a little bit.  Both of the hamsters have a great time running around the grass. Just have to keep an eye out for cats and stuff. I used to have a cockatiel and a grey cheek parakeet that I'd take on hikes. They too liked to be let loose into the "wild" (chaperoned of course).

2. Get a hamsterball
Just be sure to section off an area thats easy to clean. Damn tailless rats can make a mess with their rolling toilets.

3. Feed them something other than their usual dried foods
some fresh veggies, fruits, peanut butter, unshelled nuts. Parrots love this stuff too.

4.  Clean their cage
When cleaning their cage, put in lots of raw building material. Stuff like shredded newspaper, clean rags, and toilet paper rolls are great.  Basically anything they can chew on or "customize" to build thier nests.

I do all of those things except for taking him outside. I'm afraid of him getting fleas or getting bitten by some random bug. I don't want him bringing any diseases into the house.

Believe me, it wasn't easy getting that leash to stay on him. He is able to get out of it half the time, but for the most part he has realized that I'm just going to put it right back on him anyway. So, he doesn't really even try to get out of it anymore.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#28]
This thread has got to be driving the liberals that monitor this web site absolutely nuts!!!  To think, all of these brutish gun owners actually showing affection and care for animals??  To think of such a thing, and I thought all gun owners were just murderous barbarians.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Watch out with the hamster ball and hazards such as sump pumps, etc. They're not supposed to spend more than 40 min or so in those things. I lost four to those death traps. One escape out a wind blown door to freedom, two sump pump mishaps and one roadway disaster.

I had a hamster escape for 9 months and live on my offerings to the hamster gods before I triangulated his nocturnal feedings. Took six hours to clear the room, starting from the ground up.

He'd gone feral, long haired chewed a living space into part of my library. He'd been living off lettuce and hamster feed the whole time. He died at 3yo, probably of boredom since he didn't get back in the ball.

NOTICE: HAMSTERS ARE NOT GOOD PETS FOR KIDS---THEY STAY AWAKE ALL FRIGGING NIGHT.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#30]
JoeWang, I had a scare like that with him a couple years ago. I put him in the ball and about ten minutes later I noticed that the top had come off. I spent about a half hour looking for him and finally found him just as he was about to start chewing on my computer cables.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:43:20 AM EDT
[#31]
both of my rotts get bored sometimes, so i get out the tennis balls, and we play keep away, and chase, and see which dog is the first to eat the ball
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:18:06 AM EDT
[#32]
yes animals get bored. When i was in the army we had some primates used for vaccine testing that had developed all sorts of emotional and physical issues from 24x7 cage living. The smarter the animal the worse it can be.

mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top