Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2004 5:07:57 PM EDT
I was out turning money into noise today with some of the crew from Florida, when a sudden downpour ambushed us.
Anyway, two of my ARs, my FAL, and my 870 got soaked...the 870 especially.

I drove home (about 2 hours) and immediately stripped them down, and covered them with "Sheath rust prevention" stuff, and they have been soaking all day.
All are okay, except the 870...it has some light, rust colored "water marks" on one side of the reciever.
What would you folks advise me to use to get this off.

BTW, it is an 870 Express Magnum, with that matte grayish finnish (parkerized I guess?)
And, damnit...I just got done putting a sweet AR15 tele stock kit on it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:14:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Just try a soft cloth with a little FP-10 or the lubricant dujour, and gently rub it in.  It should just be surface rust and will probably wipe away, so the FP-10/whatever will lubricate and preserve it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:16:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Dremel at 30,000 RPM, heavy grit sanding drum.

Don't worry everything will be fine.  BreakFree CLP - hell anything will work. Give it circular motion with a little elbow grease.   In some extreme cases, Flitz metal polish will get those spots off - just don't be overly zealous as it is an abrasive.

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing. They're called Charachter Marks
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Don't worry everything will be fine.  BreakFree CLP - hell anything will work. Give it circular motion with a little elbow grease.   In some extreme cases, Flitz metal polish will get those spots off - just don't be overly zealous as it is an abrasive.

Or you could do that!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#5]
So what?  I go shooting as much as I can in the rain.  If my AR gets too dusty on a camping trip, I'll hose it off before I clean it.

don't be a homo.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I love living in FL. That is why I keep everything lightly coated with CorrosionX or FP10. I never worry about water, hell my Ruger stainless pig (SP101 in .357) even goes saltwater kayaking with me.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Too bad, so sad.  They are ruined. I'll take them off your hands for real cheap.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#8]
A little "OOOO" (4 ought) steel wool and some Break-Free with a LIGHT rubbing motion. Don't lean into it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:05:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

So what?  I go shooting as much as I can in the rain.  If my AR gets too dusty on a camping trip, I'll hose it off before I clean it.

don't be a homo.

What he said.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Shotguns are meant to be used...and with use comes marks. It will be ok.

Kevin
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Water emergency???

Come on, I thought your house got flooded and your guns were sitting under water or something.

Shit, just give em a good cleaning and oil em down, it's all good.  These aren't safe queens so you have got to expect a little wear and tear on them at some point.

The military still fires their weapons in the rain don't they???
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Send them ALL to me before they rust away.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#13]
... Whaaa, I'd bet your one of those guys that won't take his 4X4 offroad for fear of "AZ pinstriping"
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:54:32 PM EDT
[#14]
You've never been hunting I take it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:02:51 PM EDT
[#15]
When I was issued a G-3 in sergeants school (back in the old country) we used to clean them in the showers.

There was a spraycan you could buy at auto parts stores - meant for cleaning and degreasing engine blocks - that we would spray all over the gun including inside, and then rinse it off in really hot water after letting it sit for 10 minutes.  It got them INCREDIBLY clean, and the hot water evaporated!  Then you just oiled them and were ready to go.  We only had three showers for three full platoons, so there was always a fight about whetehr the showers shoudl be used for cleaning weapons or actualyl showering when we got back from manouevers/exercises.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
When I was issued a G-3 in sergeants school (back in the old country) we used to clean them in the showers.

An Army Natl Guard guy told me about this too.  I thought he was just nuts.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The military still fires their weapons in the rain don't they???

I think they call "time out".
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#18]
OH FOR FUCK SAKES !!!...Let me re-phrase the question all boring like:

Whats the best way to remove surface rust from parkerized metal?

I know it wont HURT it...but I would rather not have a gray shotgun with brown spots.

is that better?

LOL, maybe "HELP, WATER EMERGENCY" was a little much for the title

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:47:05 PM EDT
[#19]
No worries, I've taken my guns out during downpours (it's more fun that way).  Just hose them down with a little CLP or whatever cleaner you normally use.  My Benelli looks the worst after getting wet, but all the visible rust spots go away with normal cleaning solvents.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
No worries, I've taken my guns out during downpours (it's more fun that way).  Just hose them down with a little CLP or whatever cleaner you normally use.  My Benelli looks the worst after getting wet, but all the visible rust spots go away with normal cleaning solvents.

Ive gotten guns wet before, but I havent seen one do what this 870 did...looks like lepoard spots
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#21]
A clean clothe and a small amt of Flitz, the polishing stuff made in Germany. Works like a champ for surface rust.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I left my SAR-2 in my car's trunk which was parked by the sea for a weekend.  When I came back, the gun was all rusty.  It came off with a rag and some oil. Just rubbed it off.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:05:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:18:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ive gotten guns wet before, but I havent seen one do what this 870 did...looks like lepoard spots

If this gun is relatively new, you might want to contact the manufacturer - maybe it was poorly coated at the factory.

I does sound odd to get spots in a finish after jsut being out in the rain a little.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#25]
or bronze wool or plastic scrubbers if you think that steel wool will be too scratchy.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:51:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Mind if I ask where in FL you are? I got hit with a wall of rain today too!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Mind if I ask where in FL you are? I got hit with a wall of rain today too!

Well...I live in Port Saint Lucie, but I was shooting down in Lauderdale with some of the FSN crew.

oh...FSN = www.floridashootersnetwork.com
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:18:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

There was a spraycan you could buy at auto parts stores - meant for cleaning and degreasing engine blocks - that we would spray all over the gun including inside, and then rinse it off in really hot water after letting it sit for 10 minutes.  It got them INCREDIBLY clean, and the hot water evaporated!  Then you just oiled them and were ready to go.  We only had three showers for three full platoons, so there was always a fight about whetehr the showers shoudl be used for cleaning weapons or actualyl showering when we got back from manouevers/exercises.

lol----We used to clean the M240's like that.  It was against SOP, but the company armorer could never figure out how we got them so damn clean.  To work right, the water has to be near boiling.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:06:50 AM EDT
[#29]
That'll keep the guys who want to shower before a date out of the showers until the water heaters run out of hot water alright.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've done the same.  does wonders for a lower receiver that is full of sand.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Nah, that'll take too long.  Use one of these...

Ditto to what a lot of folks said.  It's possible the discoloration isn't even rust.  Water drops will tend to collect pollen and dirt and airborne junk and any schmutz that's present.  (Look at your car windshield after a light rain for an example.)
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Scrape it off with a nice rock. Push really hard.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
... Whaaa, I'd bet your one of those guys that won't take his 4X4 offroad for fear of "AZ pinstriping"

My friend solved this problem by "rhino" lining his ENTIRE blazer.

It is pimp.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've done the same.  does wonders for a lower receiver that is full of sand.  

When I was in ARMY BASIC at Ft Sill they had us all buy one can of Carb cleaner at the minimall at the start of the cycle,  all cycle we cleaned those rifles by hand and after the FTX and just before Graduation the Drill's busted out the carb cleaner on the sunday before turn in...Same deal,  The temp was in the 30's we would just tear down the rifle's, Bolt carriers and soak the hell out of them, then we would carry them up into the showers with steaming hot water for a rinse...back down stairs, by the time we got down stairs it was so cold the rifles heat evaporated all of the water out, the Drill would take a white towel and wipe them down to see if they came back black from anywhere and then we would just put a small amount of CLP on them and rack them up!.

I think the whole thing took less than 10 min to have a bone dry and clean rifle......

I tried to do the same thing in my Guard unit with the Mort. Plt we had really nice clean rifles everytime till some fag Spc.  in the arms room threw a tizzy... But not as big of a tizzy as he threw when Iwould bring in my bbl wrench to tear down our rifles and clean out our lugs, chambers, and to help get those ugly burn marks off of the gas tubes!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#35]
I believe that the standard Remington shotguns with that finish are just matte blued, not parked. There is a German oil called Ballistol that I have found to be especially good at removing rust and stains.
 That matte finish makes a great base for real parkerization or a polymer finish!  They do seem to rust pretty easily, so some sort of coating would be very helpful, especially in that type of climate.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:18:38 AM EDT
[#36]
What kind of 870 is it? I thought 870 receivers were alloy...? (note, I could be wrong, it's happened before )

Also, when I had a little rust on an M1 carbine (seriously, I wigged, as it was stored in a climate controlled (DRY) safe), I took a little #0000 steel wool and some Kroil (oil so fine it gets under the rust) and rubbed it off. Then oiled it well with CLP.

jim
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:29:02 AM EDT
[#37]

and 0000 gauge steel wool
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

don't be a homo.

AR exterior parts, being aluminum, don't rust (Well, the bbl could, but...)...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top