Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/3/2004 7:55:51 AM EDT
What would you pick?
*Can be a phaser/lightsaber from any race/generation.

Personally I think a lightsaber would be better. Phasers are cool looking, but they aren't too teribly intimidating in appearance until you start shooting stuff. The lightsaber is generally intended for close quarters fighting and nothing can beat it in that situation. Granted I don't have the ability/reflexes to deflect shots being fired at me, but odds are if you whip a lightsaber out people aren't going to f* with you anyway.

In addition to that... it has a lot of practical applications as well:

- Why go out and buy that Dewalt Cordless Power tool kit... this thing cuts everything. Would make home remodeling easier... for instance putting in a new doorway? vvmm vvmm vvmm... hole in wall in less than five seconds.
- No need for a chainsaw
- No need for an expensive dinner knife set
- could butcher animals with the quickness...
- You'd be the envy of all SW geeks... even Ghyslain Raza!!

Do I really need to go on with this... it sells itself.

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:59:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Where do these people come from?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:04:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd have to pick a phaser.  I haven't the skill to use a light sabre.  Looks like it's far, far too easy to chop off one's own head with it.

But I want a light sabre much more than I want a phaser, for the reasons you described.

From the Star Wars: Episode I parody script:

ALIEN:
Close the blast doors! Both sets! Heh, see him get through that.

Qui-Gon sticks his lightsaber through all the doors, which start to melt. This is the coolest thing ever done with a lightsaber, ever.

Edited to add:

[tolkienandstarwarsnerd]
What if Narsil had been a light sabre (and thus not likely to break from use or being fallen upon)?  How would LOTR be different had Narsil remained whole?
Could a light sabre cut through the One Ring and destroy it?  What about a phaser?
AT-AT vs Mumak?  (My money's on the AT-AT.)
Aragorn vs. Darth Vader?
Emperor Palpatine vs. Saruman?
Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Gandalf?

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:05:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Lightsaber.  For sure.

15 people corner you in an alley and you suddenly light the alley up with a 3 foot long rod of light with that tell tale sound.  No one will fuck with you.

Although with a phaser you can do a full power maximum yield and turn the entire gang into dust.
No cleanup, no evidence.

But I still like the lightsaber.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I call if you can honestly say you haven't even thought about it once.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:06:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Phaser for sure!

Stand back and shoot the jedi bitch!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:07:50 AM EDT
[#6]
BOTH!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:09:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Come on: GET BOTH!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I call if you can honestly say you haven't even thought about it once.

lol no can't say that I have.  I think about which 'real' gun I will carry in the morning that's about the extent of it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:17:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Phaser for sure!

HA! Hasn't Science Fiction taught you anything? A Jedi can use his lightsaber to deflect your phaser beam, and then chop off what ever part/parts of you he wants!

You take your phaser, and they'll be giving you a burial is space!!!

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:19:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Okay, assume that you have JEDI reflexes and swordsmanship ability  NOT FULL JEDI POWER!!  Just sword stuff.

Or with the phaser you had Worf's ability.  Like when he was in the target practice room and picking off flying holographic dots of light with deadly presision.

For sure still the lightsaber.  Cause you could block phaser beams.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:20:24 AM EDT
[#11]
nothing beats a good blaster at your side
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:21:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Light saber, because if I can't cut you in two then I'll fuck you up with the "FORCE". Spock and Kirk ain't got no "FORCE".
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:23:02 AM EDT
[#13]
You guys are SOOO GAY!!!

The answer is easy, M-41A pulse rifle of course.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:23:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

What do you expect out of Tater, he is a EOD tech!!!!  We are a strange bunch, who tend to like BLACK  TRICKED OUT EVIL GUNS with Bayonet lugs, HOMEBREW BEER, and are of questionable SANITY!!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:27:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Please! If it doesn't make a "vvvvvwwrrrr, wwwrrr, wwwwwrrrr" or a "phsss, phsss" sound, then it ain't a space weapon!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:20:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Phaser for sure!

HA! Hasn't Science Fiction taught you anything? A Jedi can use his lightsaber to deflect your phaser beam, and then chop off what ever part/parts of you he wants!

You take your phaser, and they'll be giving you a burial is space!!!

What about the phaser setting where there is no beam, just a big light? I believe it is the stun setting on the Original series.

On a side note, how about a phaser rifle?

CW
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Assume that you put dow the remote control and go outside smell the fresh air, mingle with some adults and GET LAID once in awhile, then the only thing you would need to talk about is your MEATSABER.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Assume that you put dow the remote control and go outside smell the fresh air, mingle with some adults and GET LAID once in awhile, then the only thing you would need to talk about is your MEATSABER.

Don't know about you, but I don't hink I could hold my own in a duel between my MEATSABER and a LIGHTSABER. Just gives me the willies thinking about having it wacked off by some clown in a black cape and mask.

CW
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't know about you, but I don't hink I could hold my own in a duel between my MEATSABER and a LIGHTSABER. Just gives me the willies thinking about having it wacked off by some clown in a black cape and mask.

CW

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:52:32 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
What about the phaser setting where there is no beam, just a big light? I believe it is the stun setting on the Original series.

On a side note, how about a phaser rifle?

CW

I remember this one.  Like three people got stunned at once.

Also, what kind of batteries would a saber require to melt through two blast doors?  At least phazers needed to be recharged.  Has there been reference to a lightsaber needing recharging?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CW

OH SHIT!!  My co-workers now think a family member died, cause I am crying at my desk!!!!

2 points for the first person to make it their sig line!
"Just gives me the willies thinking about having it wacked off by some clown in a black cape and mask"
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#22]
It depends on whether you can use "The Force" or not. If yes you are a Jedi Master, I would pick the light saber.  You can block the other guy's phaser shots and reflect them right back to him.  Plus, you can cut stuff up like crazy.  If not, I think it would be a tossup, the light saber would be cool but eventually someone's going to pull an Indiana Jones on you.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#23]
You need neither young Jedi…… Use The Force!

Andy
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CW

Jeez, I think I saw that in a movie once.  It was called "Star Whores: The Empire Strikes in her Back."
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#25]
phaser for me.  my lightsaber skills are simply not polished enough.

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Only when faced with aliens, zombies, big feet, and mutant evil clowns.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:09:44 AM EDT
[#27]
If u read the star wars books, u know unless u r a jedi or someone highly trained in swordsmanship, it is far easier to kill yourself than your intended target.  Its a massless blade, no momentum or intertia.  

While a lightsabre would be kickass, I'll take a phaser and a charging base.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#28]
You guys are all geeks!....

And since Im willing to admit Im not as Queer as people thinking they are Jedi.....

I would have to use a Photon Grenade to keep distance from you homo's!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
You guys are all geeks!....

And since Im willing to admit Im not as Queer as people thinking they are Jedi.....

I would have to use a Photon Grenade to keep distance from you homo's!

No, the guy in the TRON outfit from the other day is a TRUE GEEK with no LIFE!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:24:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Plasma phase rifle in the 40 watt range.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Isn't this AR15.com?

Lightsaber or Phaser?

I'd take BOTH!

And a Phaser Rifle too!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:38:12 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Also, what kind of batteries would a saber require to melt through two blast doors?  At least phazers needed to be recharged.  Has there been reference to a lightsaber needing recharging?

According to a few sites I checked, it's got an internal power source (the usual incredibly rare crystals) which is depleted over time and can (apparently) be recharged externally when necessary.

Difficult to say how much energy would be required to melt though the doors.  Based on my memory of the scene, the material melted at around the same apparent temperature as steel.  Assuming a one-inch wide kerf, a total of 12 inches of depth, and a circle 36 inches in diameter, Qui-gon would be removing...373 pounds of metal total.  (Recall that he only got partway through the job when the robots attacked.)  But if he'd been able to finish the job...

BTUs required to get 373 pounds of steel from room temp (70°F) to 2500°F, assuming heat capacity of 0.11 BTU/lb°F = 99702 BTU

BTUs required to melt 373 pounds of steel (phase change only), assuming heat of fusion of 129 BTU/lb = 48117 BTU

Total BTUs ~ 150,000 BTU

Estimate 50% efficiency (i.e. half the energy of the sabre is wasted).  This gives us a total energy release from the sabre of 300,000 BTU.  It looked like Qui-gon was cutting at a rate of around 0.5 inches per second, so it would have taken about 226 seconds to complete the circle.
300,000 BTU/226 seconds = 1327 BTU/second ~ 1.3 megawatts

A little beyond the capabilities of a couple of D batteries, but energy storage didn't seem to be a problem in the SW universe.

Heat transfer wasn't my strongest subject back at Dear Old State, so I may be off....
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:45:00 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

The result of me using my meatsaber is sitting on my lap, drooling while trying to eat my watch.

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:51:46 AM EDT
[#34]

You can block the other guy's phaser shots and reflect them right back to him.

What other guy with a phaser... this isn't a duel or anything.

No, the guy in the TRON outfit from the other day is a TRUE GEEK with no LIFE!!!

Must have missed him. Tell me there were pictures!!

According to a few sites I checked, it's got an internal power source (the usual incredibly rare crystals) which is depleted over time and can (apparently) be recharged externally when necessary.

Difficult to say how much energy would be required to melt though the doors. Based on my memory of the scene, the material melted at around the same apparent temperature as steel. Assuming a one-inch wide kerf, a total of 12 inches of depth, and a circle 36 inches in diameter, Qui-gon would be removing...373 pounds of metal total. (Recall that he only got partway through the job when the robots attacked.) But if he'd been able to finish the job...

BTUs required to get 373 pounds of steel from room temp (70°F) to 2500°F, assuming heat capacity of 0.11 BTU/lb°F = 99702 BTU

BTUs required to melt 373 pounds of steel (phase change only), assuming heat of fusion of 129 BTU/lb = 48117 BTU

Total BTUs ~ 150,000 BTU

Estimate 50% efficiency (i.e. half the energy of the sabre is wasted). This gives us a total energy release from the sabre of 300,000 BTU. It looked like Qui-gon was cutting at a rate of around 0.5 inches per second, so it would have taken about 226 seconds to complete the circle.

A little beyond the capabilities of a couple of D batteries, but energy storage didn't seem to be a problem in the SW universe.

Heat transfer wasn't my strongest subject back at Dear Old State, so I may be off....

Ok, I've heard enough... I regret ever starting this thread... someone please lock this!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Difficult to say how much energy would be required to melt though the doors.  Based on my memory of the scene, the material melted at around the same apparent temperature as steel.  Assuming a one-inch wide kerf, a total of 12 inches of depth, and a circle 36 inches in diameter, Qui-gon would be removing...373 pounds of metal total.  (Recall that he only got partway through the job when the robots attacked.)  But if he'd been able to finish the job...

Total BTUs ~ 150,000 BTU

Estimate 50% efficiency (i.e. half the energy of the sabre is wasted).  This gives us a total energy release from the sabre of 300,000 BTU.  It looked like Qui-gon was cutting at a rate of around 0.5 inches per second, so it would have taken about 226 seconds to complete the circle.

That explanation was impressive and well thought out. But you sounded a bit too much like the guys that write the "technical documentaries" at theforce.net...

That's a bit scary.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:08:04 AM EDT
[#36]
So which pie is better?  Phaser warmed, lightsaber warmed, or a pie that has been sitting the gun used in "Heat" after a good use at the range?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:21:42 AM EDT
[#37]
www.parksabers.com

I have the graphlex el duce.

An exact replica of the Skywalker lightsaber form the 1st SW movie.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#38]
The phaser rifle's are cool, but i'd go with the lightsaber,  my house would have lots of new holes in it after the first week.  Me: Hold my beer, watch this shit.....
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#39]
The phaser rifle's are cool, but i'd go with the lightsaber,  my house would have lots of new holes in it after the first week.  Me: Hold my beer, watch this shit.....
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:42:57 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

www.parksabers.com

$1,000
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:53:53 AM EDT
[#41]
NO BLASTERS! NO BLASTERS!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.parksabers.com

$1,000

damn, that is pretty cool, but not $1000 worth of cool.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
NO BLASTERS! NO BLASTERS!

(Blaster shoots, light saber deflects it, shottee's arm lies on floor).

Give me a LS and a few decades to master it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#44]
take a lightsaber. and no they dont require batteries/ and yes they work under water too. and with the force you can throw them and guide them into a lethal wheel of death cutting your enemies to bits and then returning the blade to your hands. oh and most importantly each lightsaber is tuned to its users/creaters genetic signature so as long as you are using your own custom lightsaber then it is impossible to accidently harm yourself.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

You can block the other guy's phaser shots and reflect them right back to him.

What other guy with a phaser... this isn't a duel or anything.

What other guy???? I thought we were talking about combat here, not a tickling contest.  What did you think light sabers were for, making shop projects?  That's like saying you'd rather carry a knife than a gun.  But what if someone shoots at you?  "Huh, like who? This isn't a duel!"
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#46]

phaser

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Klingon Disruptor
http://www.angelfire.com/ak/startrekvoyagerlcars/disruptor.html
Tell me that wouldn't be cool.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#48]
I can't believe you guys!!!

If you are willing to shell out a little extra cash (and I know all of you are), you can get the pre-ban phased plasma rifle w/ the bayonet lug for a LS
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:22:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Lightsaber = sword
Phaser = gun

What kind of idiot brings a (long) knife to a gunfight?

Give me the phaser.  I'll set the beam to broad dispersion and hose you down with it.  Your lightsaber can only deflect a small percentage of the beam's area, and the energy density is low enough that the reflected stun beam won't even slow me down.

Lightsabers do have their uses, though.  They'll open ANY childproof container!

CJ

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm depressed it's gotten so many reads......
I'm severely depressed it's gotten so many replies...
And I'm almost depressed enough to shoot my damn self for replying.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top