Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2004 7:53:47 AM EDT
No... not an AR15.com member. The programming language that started the revolution.

I was coding shit in VAXBASIC in 1978 on PDP/11s. I kind of miss the old days. But really, nothing has changed in theoretical programming since then except the advent of object oriented programming. Logic is still logic.

Article Link

Early Computer Language Turns 40

HANOVER, N.H. -- Long before the World Wide Web, Javascript and C++, there was something called BASIC, the revolutionary computer language invented at Dartmouth College that turns 40 this weekend.

BASIC is short for Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code, and some consider it the grandfather of modern software.  

"It certainly in the early days introduced more people to computing," BASIC co-creator Tom Kurtz said.

In the early 1960s, Kurtz and fellow Dartmouth professor John Kemeny wanted to find a way to make massive punch card computers more user-friendly.

"We wanted our undergrads to have experience with computers," Kurtz said. "To us, that meant being able to write simple programs."

For about a year, a team of students wrote out 7,500 lines of code, all to parse complex computations into simple commands such as "run" or "save."

What happened next is something of a legend from the early days of computers. In the early morning hours of May 1, 1964, in the basement of a Dartmouth building, two students performed the first BASIC programs.

With a few simple lines of code, intricate math that used to take a day to compute now only took seconds.

"We had to type in commands," Kurtz said. "The ones we chose were 'hello,' 'goodbye,' 'new' and 'old' -- very simple words."

The idea quickly spread to computers across the world, popularizing the use of home computers.

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:11:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I remember it being called "Basic Dartmouth"  God I am old.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:21:45 AM EDT
[#2]
BASIC sucks.

COBOL and FORTRAN pre-date BASIC by several years. The thing that made BASIC popular was that it was one of the first interactive languages, which made it a great teaching tool. As far as a language, it mostly sucked.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:23:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Brings a tear to my eye.

Sgtar`15
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#4]
10  A$="HAPPY BIRTHDAY"
20  ?A$
30  GOTO 10
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was coding shit in VAXBASIC in 1978 on PDP/11s.

Me too!!  

How big were those floppy disks again? - looking back, they seem like they were almost as big as an LP!  
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Geeks, the lot of ya!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:38:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was coding shit in VAXBASIC in 1978 on PDP/11s.

Me too!!  

How big were those floppy disks again? - looking back, they seem like they were almost as big as an LP!  

8 inch
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top