Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/3/2004 2:51:14 AM EDT
Sun May 2, 8:54 AM ET  Add Top Stories - Reuters to My Yahoo!

BERLIN (Reuters) - German Defense Minister Peter Struck said Germany will stop protecting U.S. military bases in the country at the end of 2004 and would not send troops to help a NATO (news - web sites) force police Iraq (news - web sites), a newspaper reported Sunday.

"We want to put an end to the German army's protection of American installations by the end of the year," said Struck in an interview with Welt am Sonntag. "We're now negotiating an end to the guarding process."

A Defense Ministry spokesman said discussions about ending the German army's policing of U.S. bases had been going on since the start of the year.

"The United States is gearing itself up for this accordingly," the spokesman said.

Some 2,500 German soldiers have protected U.S. barracks and other installations from attack since the start of 2003 because many U.S. troops stationed in Germany -- who would normally have performed the task themselves -- are now in Iraq.

Struck also said Germany would not take part in any prospective NATO security force in Iraq once the U.S.-led coalition transfers sovereignty to an interim Iraqi government at the end of June.

"It seems highly uncertain if and when NATO will be asked for support," said Struck. "Whatever the case, Germany will not take part in it. The army will only provide special aircraft to transport wounded if this proves necessary."

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=564&e=3&u=/nm/germany_usa_bases_dc

--------------------

Perhaps we should rethink our relationship with Germany.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 2:55:11 AM EDT
[#1]
auf wiedersehen assholes!

Door.

Ass.

(and yes, I'm of German heritage, bah!)
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 2:57:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Poland Calling
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:08:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Um, arent the US forces in Germany stationed there to protect GERMANY in the first place?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:17:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Um, arent the US forces in Germany stationed there to protect GERMANY in the first place?

You have Kalifornia and its crazy über Liberals as your cross to bear, over in Europe we have Germany.

Andy
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:17:24 AM EDT
[#5]
We should remove our troops, bases, and the resulting money going into Germany's economy and re-deploy them along the Mexican border. Never happen though as it makes too much sense.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:18:12 AM EDT
[#6]
That's what happens when you breed with the french.

Eddie
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:24:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yes, we're there to protect them.... from themselves. That's a nice way of saying, we're there to protect our investment after spending so much money rebuilding them and to make sure we aren't too late when the Nazi's pop up on the radar.

It was also a nice place to have during the Cold War. I wouldn't expect us to be there much longer... odds are we'll be moving east in the next 5-10 years. Bosnia/Kosovo, Georgia, Bulgaria, Romania... they would all love to have us throw up some bases in the former bloc countries to bring up their economoy.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:37:45 AM EDT
[#8]
It's only a matter of time before those crazy, Nazi, fuck sticks gets squirrely again. Sticking their thumb in the eye of the best friend they ever had is just another step in that direction. It is impossible for them to give up their "master race" mentality. The fact that France and Russia have already chosen their side only emboldens them. We should have never rebuilt them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:39:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have Kalifornia and its crazy über Liberals as your cross to bear, over in Europe we have Germany.

Andy

I thought France was your cross to bear?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:42:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yep, that was the original idea.... but now, "...the Russians are our friends... the Cold War is over... we don't have to worry
about stuff like that anymore..." Yeah, okay......

F' em.... I'm sure one of the former Eastern Bloc countries would love to cut us a deal on some bases. Then just pull up lock,
stock and rusty-assed barrel and hightail it oughta Kraut-land. Ungrateful bastages......

All the $$ our GIs drop out 'on the economy', plus the rent they paid, the $$ we paid for the bases, support, etc... See ya!!

I agree with Gus that we oughta pull everybody out of there, and deploy them along the Mexican border, but that'll never happen.
The politicians in Washington don't have the gonads, and the Mexican Army wouldn't know what to do if they ran into somebody
that knows how to shoot back!
(Not disparaging any Border Patrol members, or whatever they're calling you all these days.....)
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#11]
We already are looking at at least one or two bases in Bulgaria.  I think one already has like an 8,000 ft runway and some other good stuff.  Not to mention we will be able to shoot off or blow up any sort of muniitons (other than nuclear) any time of day, compared to Germany and all thier enviromental laws.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:21:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I demand that we end the occupation fo germany at once.  We have of course proved our superiority and quite honestly it costs us alot of money to be there.  I hope they won't start their shenanigans again, but clearly no matter what they would be no match for us, and they know it.  There are countries who would welcome our forward bases and welcome us as guests, perhaps we should go there in the future.  Unless of course those upity germans are gonna try it again?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:21:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Not to mention we will be able to shoot off or blow up any sort of muniitons (other than nuclear) any time of day, compared to Germany and all thier enviromental laws.  

[Homer]Mmm...blow stuff up...[/Homer]

So when is the ARFCOM European Blowout?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:25:11 AM EDT
[#14]
the hun...
at your throat or at your feet.
Bet we couldn't keep them away from our bases if we had some unarmed jews in there.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:26:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes, but armed Jews would scare the schnitzel out of them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:27:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I was there for 13 years, part of that time was during the draw down after Desert Storm. The Germans cried about us being there, then when we announced bases closing they cried about loosing their jobs! Sorry can’t have it both ways! My wife is German and of course she agreed!

SorryCharlie or Fritz!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:28:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Now what would be the biggest cosmic laugh ever is, if/when we bug out of Germany, all of the surrounding countries (with the exception of France of course) invade and beat the ass out of them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:30:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:42:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:46:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Europe's cross to bear?
France, Britain, Germany, Italy, Albania, Poland, Buglaria and France.
No, you read that right.  France counts twice.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:52:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Must be OK to post this one too, then?

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:53:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Pull the troops out!  At least the ground forces!

It will help pay for Iraq and the damn Germans who make billions off it can drive VWs instead of Mercedes.

Tj
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:55:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.mattandpamazon.com/images/matt/piss2.gif www.villa-stevan.cg.yu/german-flag.gif www.mattandpamazon.com/images/matt/piss.gif  

Must be OK to post this one, too, then:

www.mattandpamazon.com/images/matt/piss2.gif]www.mattandpamazon.com/images/matt/piss2.gif rutcor.rutgers.edu/~bisrael/Israel.gif]rutcor.rutgers.edu/~bisrael/Israel.gif www.mattandpamazon.com/images/matt/piss.gif]www.mattandpamazon.com/images/matt/piss.gif

In theory, if you got the link right.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:57:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Yeah, stupid board code.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:58:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
We should remove our troops, bases, and the resulting money going into Germany's economy and re-deploy them along the Mexican border. Never happen though as it makes too much sense.

Now you're talkin'!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:00:26 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, stupid board code.

LOL, fishing works alot better if the bait doesnt' fall off the hook. LOL

Tj
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:04:39 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Edited to add:  You are doing a fine job of showing just how petty Germans can be, IMO.

Blow it out of your ears. How many times did /you/ pitch in with "but you're just a nazi/racist!" when it didn't have anything to do with the topic of the thread?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:05:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Not sure what the relevance is, but carry on.
I think that is an Icon over at stormfront.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:06:48 AM EDT
[#30]
I served in WEST Germany during the cold war..................
.....all I can say is, "Bring 'em home."

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:06:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:07:32 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Edited to add:  You are doing a fine job of showing just how petty Germans can be, IMO.

Blow it out of your ears. How many times did /you/ pitch in with "but you're just a nazi/racist!" when it didn't have anything to do with the topic of the thread?

Never.  Please provide an example.  

Use the search function.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:09:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Preemptive
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:14:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:16:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Dude, would TBK lock his own pissing contest?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Did you want me to search for "Times I've posted "but you're just a nazi/racist!" against Kar98"??   **YOU** accused me of an act, the proof of same is incumbent upon you.  That's how things work.  

Nawww, this is the Internet. Things work differently here. You're just here for my amusement, with minimal input from my side.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:22:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#38]
PS: you're of course welcome to delete the offensive post, if you apply the same to the original to my copy.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:29:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#40]
hmmm...does this mean germany is thinking about trying to take over the world again? hell, it's been over 60 years since last time, i was starting to get worried.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:36:53 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
hmmm...does this mean germany is thinking about trying to take over the world again? hell, it's been over 60 years since last time, i was starting to get worried.

What the hell do you think the EU is?
Subtly may finally be their forte.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:38:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
PS: you're of course welcome to delete the offensive post, if you apply the same to the original to my copy.

Um, no thanks.  You have managed to skillfully illustrate "petty" twice in one thread (making an accusation with nothing to back it up counts, IMO).  That must be some kind of record, so I'm happy to leave it stand.  

OK, taking offense when somebody posts a pic of monkeys pissing on your flag is "petty". Alrighty then.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Must be OK to post this one too, then?

www.mattandpamazon.com/images/matt/piss2.gifrutcor.rutgers.edu/~bisrael/Israel.gifwww.mattandpamazon.com/images/matt/piss.gif

I'm curious what you think that has to do with this thread?

TBK1 -

Someone was pissing on a German flag and I got the impression that Kar98 was merely showing how silly THAT post was.  He wasn't saying anything bad at all about Israel, rather, demonstrating the stupidity of the original post.  IMHO.
James
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#45]
And as another positive to moving east to Bulgaria etc , think of all the HOT eastern european women for our GIs !  The german girls were probably too snobby for them but not those lovely latvians!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Andy

I thought France was your cross to bear?

France has always been a bunch of irrelivent pussies… think Agincourt, Waterloo, Trafalgar…
Germany should know better, hell, at least they were worth fighting and had a pair once

Andy
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Andy

If that's  the case, who claims France?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
OK, taking offense when somebody posts a pic of monkeys pissing on your flag is "petty". Alrighty then.

Your flag? Are you a German citizen? Or German descent?

Well, given the circumstances of this thread; Germany pretty much pissing on the US by declaring that it will withdraw its support of the US in Iraq as well as in on its own soil... well, yeah... I'm standing by my statement, regardless if how petty it might seem. And for the record... my last name is Hess... and I'm not even offending myself.

Not to mention that I was stationedin Germany for 3 years and got 1st hand knowledge of how they f*ck the US .mil on a regular basis while collecting a fat check from us.

Run you dirty little monkies... run and piss on the Fazzah Land!!!

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your flag? Are you a German citizen? Or German descent?

Errrrm, yes, on both?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top