Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/2/2004 6:22:05 PM EDT
Took off early Saturday morning and went to the old Tempiute Mine near Rachel Nevada here are the pics..

This is where the silver ore was loaded up on wagons for the transport down to the main road.

Bernie decided to get a pic on it..

Standing near that and looking at the mine entrance..

We planned on going in so we brought the Mossberg 590 loaded up with slugs..that's me

I've been inside once before and it goes back about a half mile, you could keep going but it requires getting extemley dirty and I wasn't in the mood for that this trip

About 100 yards in you come across two doors, one on each side of the tunnel

Blasting powder is still inside those small rooms behind the doors..

Here is a support a few hundred yards in..

We spent about an hour getting to the end where we didn't want to continue, this is me almost out..

Here is a pic on Rachel as seen from the entrance to the mine..

Next was onto Rachel NV, here is Bernie under the ET Hwy sign..

Here is the ore crusher located across from Rachel that the ore from the Old Tempiute Mine was brought to, it was burnt down a long time ago..

Here is and old truck, the doors are marked USN, it is next to the crusher..

I own 5 acres in Rachel and am about to add 5-10 more soon so I decided to get out and walk it to check it out..

Here is the "Little A'Le Inn sign

Now we decide to go check out the border of Area 51, here is Groom Lake Road, it leads right into the base..

The world's most famous mailbox, used to be called the black mailbox..when it was black, it has since been painted white and a little "Alien" mailbox has been added..

After taking Groom Lake Road a number of miles you have to slow down, the border of Area 51 is marked but there is no gate...

Oh yea, your being watched, no matter when you visit..here are the hillside mounted cameras..

...and of course the Camo dudes watch you right up on the hillside, sometimes they give the finger if you snap a pic of them, my camera wasn't good enough to zoom in that close..

Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like you've got a ghost in one of those pics.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

LOL, more like dust, we breathed about a pound of it while walking in there.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#3]
How much is an acre of land in Rachel?
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL, more like dust, we breathed about a pound of it while walking in there.

It's a ghost.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:28:19 PM EDT
[#5]
is that blasting powder still any good  
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#6]
IBT(MiB)L

Now, if everyone could just look right here... that's it....

Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How much is an acre of land in Rachel?

About $7500 for 5 acres..a steal.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the picture of the sign telling you not to take any!
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:31:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#10]
wackenhut runs the security at a51.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I like the picture of the sign telling you not to take any!

Yea, I was on BLM land , the Camo Dudes will sometimes try and scare the crap out of tourists but they have no authority on public lands.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Yea whats the deal with the Blasting power?
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It's a mine, they blasted...
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Man I envy you.
My dream vacation is to go out to Az/Nv/Nm/Ut /Ca.  Go out with a 4 wheel drive camping supplies maps GPS.  And explore the desert for old mines and ghost towns.
Someday I'll make it.  My brother retired and moved to Az.  Someday I'll visit and explore.

Bobwrench
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#15]
LoL too cool! I live in Kali and i have always wanted to do that! Cool Sight Seeing!

Where can i get maps to Get to tose places u went to?
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Geez.  Stay out of abandoned mines.  It is DANGEROUS!!

It takes experience and training to identify bad ground.  Even in an operating mine we have to check everything once over every month or so and wedge off loose rock.  

Some of that loose stuff is barely held in place - I've touched loose with a scaling bar just to have a ton+ slab come crashing down at my feet.  That place in the pics looks dangerous.

Half century old explosive?  Damn!  Stay away!!  If you need explosives, they are easy enough to get - like buying a shotgun.      
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Hope you like anal probes.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#18]
What no pics of aliens and flying saucers?
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
LoL too cool! I live in Kali and i have always wanted to do that! Cool Sight Seeing!

Where can i get maps to Get to tose places u went to?

The webmaster is a an AR15.com member, there are 2 harmless pop-ups and they have a pretty interesting discussion forum..

www.dreamlandresort.com/main.html

rachel.dreamlandresort.com/rachel/
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#20]
... Too cool. Great pix Wolfpack. I love Nevada; I was born there in a little town called Hawthorne. There were lots of similar places to these there as well.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I see the "Use of deadly force"  sign is still hanging.    How long before they showed up on the hill?
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 7:32:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I see the "Use of deadly force"  sign is still hanging.    How long before they showed up on the hill?

They were there already.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Fake blasting powder.......

But cool pics.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I get reason what it was used for.   I just wonder why its still there.    I would love to play with it.

Link Posted: 5/2/2004 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#25]
cool
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
IBT(MiB)L

Now, if everyone could just look right here... that's it....

www.nnet.ne.jp/~slantern/fuke/neuralizer2thumb.jpg

instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/edoom/very_first_smiley.gif

Now thats dam funny!
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#27]
very cool pics!
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 7:59:34 PM EDT
[#28]
those are kick ass pics. very interesting too. thanks for posting those.

cleaner
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Fake blasting powder.......

But cool pics.

Hardly....
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 8:06:36 PM EDT
[#30]
I wonder what would happen if you just gunned it past those signs, see how far you can get.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#31]
you'd probably make it to the main compound, then you'd be taken out back and given a .45caliber brain hemmorage (sp)
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Great pics WP! I love exploring the desolate areas of NV, AZ, UT.... The West is really the only free space that we can still enjoy exploration without much restriction.

The eco and animal rights wackos always try to encroach on our freedoms, but I think we have enough real estate in all three states to keep them at bay for awhile.

Good idea on the 590. Perhaps an H&K Tactical with a can and a light would have been a better first choice to avoid a possible cave-in (still bringing in the 590 of course!).

Be Safe......  
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 8:27:00 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm with Pogo.......stay out, stay alive.  The powder looked real enough, Blasting Agent is a common label for prill.  Not real dangerous and very stable. Also very modern.  The timber looks relatively recent too.....maybe the spike in metal prices has led to some people looking at the property again.

Rocks loosen up over time.  Ever wonder why the drift had an arched back (roof)?  If you don't know, you shouldn't be there, especially without a scaling bar.  Ever think about gases?  I spent years on a Mine Rescue team.  The only bodies I ever recovered were tourists in the wrong place without the proper training.

Cool pics, but please use your head.

SRM
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I wonder what would happen if you just gunned it past those signs, see how far you can get.

About 25 yards, there is a guard shack just around the bend, if you managed to get past that the base is over 10 miles away on a rutted dirt road, you wouldn't even get close. One of the cool things is if you start to hike on foot around the border and they lose visual sight of you they send up a Pavehawk helo to look for you, when they find you they usually get real low to give you a good dirt shower, that makes most people just go back to the car and leave.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#35]
In the 18th photo the top warning sign has "USE OF DEADLY FORCE AUTHORIZED" at the bottom of the top sign. I've seen that somewhere before
M
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

If there was such a place, I don't think that WSI has the security contract.
They do have the NTS contract though.
M
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 9:09:47 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If there was such a place, I don't think that WSI has the security contract.
They do have the NTS contract though.
M

No, he is correct, it is Wackenhut, it used to be EG&G. What do you mean "if there was such a place?
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 9:26:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Has anyone driven the road from Bodie, CA, into NV on NV-3C? It looks interesting on the map--many miles of dirt road through the back of beyond. I'm wondering if it's doable in a car without fwd.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

No, he is correct, it is Wackenhut, it used to be EG&G. What do you mean "if there was such a place?

I can neither confirm nor deny
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#40]
From what I have heard it has never exsisted
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#41]
The only time Clinton told the truth is when he signed a document admitting to there being a military installation at Groom Lake.......
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 9:54:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Is that the same mine you guys were screwing around in at the shoot last spring? Seriously, going in those mines is not a good idea. Rotting wood (old support timbers) gives off CO and it is absorbed in your bloodstream 200 times more easily than O2.  I work underground alot just in little concrete boxes and constant ventilation and a gas detector are mandatory. A teacher in Virginia City bought the mine last year because of this-and he knew better. Even if gases aren't created, the lack of air movement or confined space issues can create a hazard, collect gases, and you may not get away with it next time. Even inert gases which only displace oxygen can put you down so fast wou wouldn't beleive it. Glad you had fun, I'd like to do it but I will take precautions if I (ever) do.

Oh, is DVDtrackers "peace through superior firepower" sticker still on the road sign?
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 9:57:05 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
The only time Clinton told the truth is when he signed a document admitting to there being a military installation at Groom Lake.......

Which they'd already moved to Utah
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#44]
We didnt go to the mine last year but it is only about 30 minutes away from where we camped, it is my second time in it. There are 2 ET Hwy signs on the road to Rachel, this is the other one, I totally forgot I put that sicker on the first sign, I'm going back to Rachel anyways for the next two weekends, I'll look and take a photo of it if it is still there.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 10:02:23 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which they'd already moved to Utah

Wrong, the guy from the Popular Science article was all screwed up, he didn't go to the gate at Area 51 he thought he was though, he actually was at a gate to an abandoned ranch....he wasn't too bright. Also, there has been alot of construction traffic in and out of the base, they are building. The Janet flights out of McCarron are still going strong too.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 11:33:30 PM EDT
[#46]
great  pics!
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 11:40:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Is that a Mossy 51668?

It looks like mine.

Link Posted: 5/2/2004 11:45:38 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I get reason what it was used for.   I just wonder why its still there.    I would love to play with it.

WARNING:

If that stuff is nitroglycerine it can be shock sensitive. As in, if you drop it, it will detonate and you will be a crispy critter. If the bags have cristals on them, they have sweated out nitro and can blow up by simply moving them around. I know that it happens with dynamite, not entirely sure about blasting powder, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be careful with that stuff. Better yet, call a bomb squad.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 12:41:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Drop a slug from the Mossy into that blasting powder and see what happens.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Great thread.  This reminds me of my trips to NV when I lived in Seattle, I'd go every summer and sometimes in the winter.

I went to Area 51 back in 1986 before it became popular.  Back then, you could go all the way to the gate, about 3 miles or so past where the new border and signs are located now.  Back then, the only sensors were ground sensors, I have a pic of one near the road.

I've been to that mine, but a fear of gas (methane?) kept me from going into it very far.

Ever been to Diana's Punchbowl?  How about Faultless?  It's a subsidence crater created by a 1 MT nuclear weapon.  It's located about 30 miles north of Warm Springs, now a ghost town.

My last trip to NV was in 1999.  My son and I climbed Tickaboo Peak, which is the only site open to the public where you can actually see Area 51.  My son was 4 years old at the time and I believe him to be the youngest person on the planet to see A-51 with his own eyes.  He still talks about that trip and the climb up Tickaboo.

Great trip and great thread.

Thanks,

Merlin
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top