Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2004 9:09:49 PM EDT
Ok, so I check out a local gun smith and he has a good rep - the local benchresters and IPSC guys use him.  I drop my SA 1911 off for a little work and when I pick it up a month and a half later it looks good.  Then I get home with it and the bore is rusted about 2/3 of the way from the muzzle to the throat.  I scrubbed the sh*t out of it with the  brush and its looks OK now, but I think this is unacceptable.  Is there any excuse for a 'smith not to oil the barrel down during/after custom work like milling.

For reference, he fit a match bushing, BOMAR rear and dovetail front sight and tightened the slide to frame fit.  Am I askign too much here or what?

Link Posted: 5/1/2004 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't seem too professional to me, common sense says oil any area after machine work, unless of course you like rusty metal.
Personally, I would have taken the barrel back & made him replace it with a new one.

Link Posted: 5/1/2004 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I would have been going right back.
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#3]
If he didn't do any work on the barrel, I wouldn't expect him to take care of it. I don't get mad at my eye doctor because I have yellow teeth. It's your own fault you left it with him un oiled, shame on you for not cleaning your gun.
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 11:04:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't charge extra for the dirt.
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 11:31:49 PM EDT
[#5]
well, at least he got the sights on right. I sent in my SA mil-spec to get some Meprolights installed. He couldn't even handle that.... front sight was messily staked in, and it ended up shooting 7" low at 7 yards...
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 11:37:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Had an AR barreled at Jensens in Tucson Az back in 92-93

Went to pick it up and the smith said the Delta ring would not fit right.

When he brought it out we saw why,   jackass had installed it backwards!!

Needless to say I took it to another "smith" to correct the issue.

Biggame223

Out
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:44:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If he didn't do any work on the barrel, I wouldn't expect him to take care of it. I don't get mad at my eye doctor because I have yellow teeth. It's your own fault you left it with him un oiled, shame on you for not cleaning your gun.

Actually, The last thing I did before dropping the gun off for the work was to full strip it, clean it and oil the crap out of it.  So you'll need to dig deeper for a reason that that.  My guess is that during the fittiing of the match bushing (which is 'barrel' work btw), something got in the bore.  Why they did not notice it I am not sure.  I know they test fired it , but absent corrosive ammo I can't figure out how it could rust so fast.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Went back in on Monday and the 'smith was aghast that my barrel was rusted.  Seems that he uses whatever is on hand for test firing and  used some surplus corrosive ammo.  He agreed to make it right and apologized for not cleaning and lubing it after the test fire.  I'm satisfied

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top