Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/30/2004 8:04:30 AM EDT
Is it true that when they name a street MLK Blvd it drives property values down? Anybody have stats or a study?
My little town of Zephyrhills has a shitstorm brewing over this. They renamed Sixth ave MLK Blvd and then the new coucil switched it back. We had a little discussion about it last night.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:11:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know about any studies, but every town/ city that I've ever been in the houses around MLK Blvd. were dumps.  Not sure why, but I can guess

Jamie
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:15:57 AM EDT
[#2]
As Chris Rock says:

"If you ever find yourself on Martin Luther King Boulevard late at night, RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!"
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:19:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
As Chris Rock says:

"If you ever find yourself on Martin Luther King Boulevard late at night, RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!"

It's just the way it is...
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:19:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I lived in a city where there was a MLK street...It was like a ghetto and now it has all been demolished.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:20:18 AM EDT
[#5]
From what I've seen the areas where said streets are located aren't exactly the best to begin with.

FWIW...
I heard on a local radio show that many of the signatures on the original petition to change the name to  MLK blvd were not even residents in the city of Zephyrhills.

Imagine that....
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:20:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I can't figger out why this might be.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:31:39 AM EDT
[#7]
posting in here so as not to disappoint CavVet.

oh, and IBTL.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:36:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I can't figger out why this might be.

This might be my first legitimate IBTL
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I live in Tampa and remember when Buffalo Ave was renamed to MLK.  The only outcry was from the 'white-supremecist' types and many of the businesses on that road.  The businesses complained bacause they would have to change their addresses, business cards, etc.  
Well, now MLK Blvd is just another street in the city.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:45:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Don't know about any studies, but every town/ city that I've ever been in the houses around MLK Blvd. were dumps.  Not sure why, but I can guess

Jamie

Yeah that's pretty much for Baltimore...of course most of Baltimore is a dump, but that's another topic.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:47:22 AM EDT
[#11]
MLK in Dallas is a world-class dump but what's truly frightening is the intersection of MLK and Malcom X Blvd in East Dallas.  Malcom X Blvd was tough enough when it was Oakland Street.  Now it's got lush downtown Beruit beat.  

Dallas sux.

Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:55:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
As Chris Rock says:

he also said something along the lines of:

"Matrin Luther King was all about non-violence. I don't care where in America you are, if you're on Martin Luther King Blvd you WILL find violence there."
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:56:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
MLK in Dallas is a world-class dump but what's truly frightening is the intersection of MLK and Malcom X Blvd in East Dallas.  Malcom X Blvd was tough enough when it was Oakland Street.  Now it's got lush downtown Beruit beat.  

imgs.maps.yahoo.com/mapimage?MAPDATA=LTbTpud6wXWtuDhcMvhQ9iul_7gQSR20PIs6gDZ4hJJcLyk2QBfuzf5hMi9bq0wonrZcax19gaAu0C9nNY8gq4KA8pQ41G3x40EOIWcKeYVntJRU.t2hNjFEqpHZjaXGnipQo9Bv07w5escpIWaewel3Jn8sbry7lkxrvnPNxPAEpgJw

Dallas sux.

True enough. My business is located right by Expo/Fair Park. Suffice it to say, I keep a safe full of goodies in my office.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:57:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Also, how FUCKED up is this:

In Fort Myers Florida, MLK blvd is interesected by a road named "Coon Road"

NO joke, I've seen it myself.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 9:30:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Sixth Ave has always been known as "crack alley" but thats the part past the RR tracks. There are some nice homes as you move farther into the city but the others cant be worth much anyway.Its a quick easy way into town for me but I never drive that street unarmed.
I'm lookin for some stats or articles though. I'll try a little more googleing.
I dont see why this post should get locked, its not racist. I'm looking for proof of some things said last night in a discussion at work.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
As Chris Rock says:

It's just the way it is...

Unfortunately that is true around here.

During the day it isn't too bad, but I wouldn't want to be white and walking down it at night.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I avoid MLK in Milwaukee.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#18]
MLK in Atlanta isn't such a great place either.

Oh and IBTL.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 9:43:46 AM EDT
[#19]
No self respecting White person would be caught dead on MLK Blvd. in Newark, NJ.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 9:48:10 AM EDT
[#20]
MLK in Berkeley is a dump. Then again, the WHOLE city is a dump

IBTL
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 9:54:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Is it true that when they name a street MLK Blvd it drives property values down? Anybody have stats or a study?
My little town of Zephyrhills has a shitstorm brewing over this. They renamed Sixth ave MLK Blvd and then the new coucil switched it back. We had a little discussion about it last night.

I don't know about property values but I did see a study once a few years back about crime. I don't know where to find it however. Anyway somone got the bright idea of hey lets see what street the most crime happens on based soley on the name of the street. Well what they found out was that in all of America streets named after MLK are the most violent crime ridden streets in the country. Now I'm not saying that in any given town it's the most crime ridden violent street. Just that on a whole more violance was done and crimes commited on streets ,blvd., way, lane etc. named for MLK than any other street or whatever.
I think I said that right,
RJB
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#22]
MLK in Cincinnati sucks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 9:59:22 AM EDT
[#23]
+1
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#24]
I couldn't think of where MLK BLVD is Columbus, OH, so I checked Mapquest.
We did it right.  It's only 2 blocks.
And guess what?  It sucks bad.
I know the area, just never noticed the street name.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 10:04:43 AM EDT
[#25]
MLK in Indianapolis always was a shithole even before it was renamed MLK.  Is there a pattern emerging here?  Hmmmm...
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#26]
What would street in various cities be like if they were named after William Jefferson Clinton?

I'll start:

- Hookers on every corner?
- Don't ask don't tell hangout?
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 10:22:14 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
What would street in various cities be like if they were named after William Jefferson Clinton?

I'll start:

- Hookers on every corner?
- Don't ask don't tell hangout?

That's where all the college sorority houses would be.  Either that or the landfill, prison or red light district.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 10:57:04 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
MLK in Indianapolis always was a shithole even before it was renamed MLK.  Is there a pattern emerging here?  Hmmmm...

Hmmmm... Racist city councils giving the "honor" to the shittiest streets?

Won't be long before we start hearing that claim.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

ROFL LOL!!!  That just cracks me up! Get Pics!
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 6:46:38 PM EDT
[#30]
From what I can tell neither Minneapolis or St. Paul have an MLK Blvd.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#31]
The MLK in my town doesnt has a park on one side and BLM land on the other.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 7:05:59 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
No self respecting White person would be caught dead on MLK Blvd. in Newark, NJ.

No self respecting person of any race would be in NJ

Most of my family lives there and my ancestors helped create Elizibeth, NJ, but that state is pretty bad
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#33]
It's hilarious that you would say that.  I have shopped for houses in 3 different states, and I always find end up looking at houses on, or near a MLK blvd.  The price is good, but the houses violate the other 3 rules of real estate.   The interesting thing is that not all of the drunks/homeless/dangerous people wandering MLK blvd's are of African American decent.  An equal amount seemed to be lily white, or other.   They seem to be equal opportunity neighborhoods.  

Nevertheless, I would buy a house on MLK blvd, if it was on 300 acres, on water, next to National forest, or BLM, and less than $200,000
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
MLK in Atlanta isn't such a great place either.

I got lost on that street in a silver crown vic with tinted windows and a spotlight.   Most of the area I went through was a real hellhole.

Same way in most other cities I have been in.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Like so many others have said....

The MLK Blvd. in Detroit is a shithole, but so is 99.999% of Detroit.

Wish I could move to northern AZ.

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm sure everybody already firgured this, but yes, MLK in LA is super-ghetto.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#37]
there's a highway here in Buffalo that kind of cuts the town in half, the 33. People want it renamed after MLK Jr. since they claim that after it was built the southern part became poor and rundown (and black hence the MLK aspect)
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
there's a highway here in Buffalo that kind of cuts the town in half, the 33. People want it renamed after MLK Jr. since they claim that after it was built the southern part became poor and rundown (and black hence the MLK aspect)

I used to go down 33 alot, I know near the last 2 or 3 exits its used to get really bad and it stops in what I always heard was about the worst area of town "fruit district".  I only went down there twice, once while lost other time was to get a tire.  I worked off Elmwood? (its been 2 years) same raod the Pierce Arrow building is on.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Disturbance: 1500 block of Martin Luther King Boulevard. A woman was assaulted by her boyfriend, who then tore up her car, reported 8:49 a.m.

Assault: 1500 block of Martin Luther King Boulevard. A six-year-old was assaulted by some other children, 2:54 p.m.

Dispute, family, civil: 1600 block of Martin Luther King Boulevard. A man was trying to leave and his wife would not let him get his property, 6:41 p.m.

Theft: 1500 block of Martin Luther King Boulevard. A roommate moved out of an apartment and took items belonging to someone else, reported 9:46 p.m.

Assault: 1600 block of Martin Luther King Boulevard. A man hit a woman and she was bleeding, reported 11:06 p.m.

As long as it happens on MLK Blvd, I don't care. It's when they start wandering off that the trouble starts.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Wish I had a pic of that
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I just remember when Tampa renamed Buffalo Ave to MLK, the business owners were not happy. Like wise in St. Pete, 9th St is also MLK Blvd. It runs through some of the scarier parts of the town.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Every MLK I have been on in AL and TN were in shitty neighborhoods. Here is a funny aside for you. A childhood friend is a contractor in Montgomery and he was put in charge of overseeing the reconstruction on MLK's boyhood home to turn it into a museum in Montgomery. It got a lot of press and was a big deal. SO right after they finish construction, a black guy who was drunk as hell ran off the road and drove his truck right through the damn place(not on purpose) one night! Needless to say, that didn't make it in the papers down here. And my buddy was pissed off as hell because the job was a pain in the ass and he then had to start over again. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#43]
If a man is called to be a streetsweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great streetsweeper who did his job well.

- Martin Luther King, Jr.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 9:42:58 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

imgs.maps.yahoo.com/mapimage?MAPDATA=LTbTpud6wXWtuDhcMvhQ9iul_7gQSR20PIs6gDZ4hJJcLyk2QBfuzf5hMi9bq0wonrZcax19gaAu0C9nNY8gq4KA8pQ41G3x40EOIWcKeYVntJRU.t2hNjFEqpHZjaXGnipQo9Bv07w5escpIWaewel3Jn8sbry7lkxrvnPNxPAEpgJw

Dallas sux.

They were smart enough to put a cemetary nearby.
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#45]
MLK Blvd in Raleigh is also ghetto. Also has a statue somewhere on it.

And the beat goes on...
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 12:49:06 AM EDT
[#46]
The intersection of MLK blvd and Vandever rd. in St. Louis at 0300.  Scaaaary.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 1:22:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:21:20 AM EDT
[#48]
MLK Way in seattle does a pretty handy job of defining shithole. I got lost in the area once a few years back. It was the only time i felt it necessary to pull my pistol out from under the seat and drive with it in my lap.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:55:10 AM EDT
[#49]
I don't give a damn  one way or the other but,I wonder why black folks seem proud to have roads running through the biggest crime spots in a city named MLK somthing.Is it some kind of "Cruel  Joke" played out through each cities administration?Is it to "Warn"white people that they are now entering the third world?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:16:36 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dallas sux.

True enough. My business is located right by Expo/Fair Park. Suffice it to say, I keep a safe full of goodies in my office.

Went there with my family, its right outside the cottonbowl.
Oh, yeah.  My pistol was out of the holster, in my lap and since I drive an auto, one hand holding it.
Nice area.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top