Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/7/2021 6:26:51 PM EDT
I was at the local gun store today and they had a KE Arms KP-15 the integrated polymer lower and stock.

I normally would not even consider buying a polymer but I was actually impressed with it.  It looked and felt right.  It was nice and light weight.  Had a decent stock trigger.

I looked at a video where some guy shot 1K rounds with one on full auto and it held up OK.

The old ones made by Cav Arms were GTG.

I can't justify getting one for a dedicated .22 because I don't the upper.  I can only justify it as a lightweight build.

Does anybody have one?

Link Posted: 1/7/2021 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Does that have an adjustable grip angle? Hmmm.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have one but have seen a ton of stuff on them.  I was considering one for a while until they raised the price point, so I couldn't justify it when compared to other aluminum lowers.

The What Would Stoner Do (WWSD) 2020 rifle uses one and they are making a version of that rifle to be sold on Brownells.

WWSD 2020 - Brownell's  [I'mma need a referral feed @Brownells]
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:08:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#5]
got two FDE stripped lowers on preorder

missed out on the cav arms lowers exited to play around with them
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:45:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was at the local gun store today and they had a KE Arms KP-15 the integrated polymer lower and stock.

I normally would not even consider buying a polymer but I was actually impressed with it.  It looked and felt right.  It was nice and light weight.  Had a decent stock trigger.

I looked at a video where some guy shot 1K rounds with one on full auto and it held up OK.

The old ones made by Cav Arms were GTG.

I can't justify getting one for a dedicated .22 because I don't the upper.  I can only justify it as a lightweight build.

Does anybody have one?

https://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/DSC_4754-scaled.jpg
View Quote

I have a stripped one, but haven’t done with it. I may just leave it stripped for awhile and see if the value goes up.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:46:47 PM EDT
[#7]
In b4 the Karl haters
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:52:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In b4 the Karl haters
View Quote

Shit on Karl all you want , but Russell deserves your money. He has put in the time and effort to help.many many people over the years, and is definitely one of the good guys.

I have no stake in KE, I dont own one , it will probably be a long time before I will if I will even be allowed to at this point.
I do have a Cav lower.

One that my dumbass blew up and super glued back together.
It still runs fine , it just wont hold a front speed pin anymore.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I got my KP15 receiver 3 weeks ago. Comparing it to me 'ole Cav Mk2 is like night and day.  The KP15 is way stiffer feeling, better grip angle, and far better overall finish.  My variant build of the WWSD is complete, just haven't had time to go shoot, tune, and zero it yet.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I wish I still had my Gen 1 Cav.

I don't want another AR, but if I did it would be one of these lowers.  Lightweight 6.5G build
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:40:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought one. I like it. Threw a light weight upper on it - pencil barrel, lightweight BCG, no forward assist, aero scope Mount w weaver 1-3.  I need to weigh it.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 1:05:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Over the years, I’ve had most iterations of the CAV-15 receivers.  I picked up my KP-15 a few nights ago and this is a completely different animal.  My first observation was the material- texture and rigidity.  

I pulled all of my polymer rifles out of my safe to compare textures and the closest comparison was to a HK MP5 trigger housing.  FN uses a smooth texture with thick material on the P90 and SCAR, so it’s apples to oranges- but I do think the texture looks better, IMHO.  The KP-15 is cleaner than my AUG and Tavor.

And compared to the CAV-15...it looks like the CAV-15 was done in a garage with a 3D printer.  Great receiver, but the Cav MKII is officially obsolete.  The KP-15 solves for the safety detent issue by providing a thicker wall and a safety (not yet installed) that can apparently be easily removed.  There are sling attachments.  Details in the mold and design were drastically improved.  The biggest difference I immediately felt was the grip and stippling.  I never liked how slippery and “Gumby”-looking the MKII was.  The KP-15 feels like a Magpul MIAD/MOE, but actually an improvement since there is no gap with the trigger guard that we would see with a typical receiver. I buy those silly $3 gappers for my girlish bony fingers.  

People love to compare these designs to cheap Anderson receivers at a similar price point.  My safe lives in a world where both polymer lowers and aluminum lowers exist in harmony, but I would take the KP-15 over any low end aluminum lower.  I ordered 5 more of them and will making some upper shuffling in the safe, using these for my 16”-18” builds.

Haven’t shot it yet, but I’ve been dry firing and don’t foresee any issues.  The action (buffer/spring specifically) actually feels smoother on my unfired KP-15 lower compared to my broken-in MKII.

Comparison pics below.  The bottom MKII looks beat up, but it actually has very little use.  That’s mostly safe wear that I wouldn’t expect to see this happen to the KP-15 due to the difference in materials, but time will tell.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the input.

I have many ARs and several extra lowers so I don't really need something like this but like I said after handling one at the gun store it felt nice.

A few years ago I had a Cav Arms polymer lower and it was OK but this one looks and feels to be substantially better.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:44:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I have owned two of the CAV-15 lowers. For what ever reason I love the CAV-15's.  During the last panic some years back (Obama) I was talked into selling one of them.  Both were black but I has always wanted one in FDE. Well, after watching the introduction of these and reading many reviews, especially from CAV-15 owners I ordered my new one in FDE.  Yes, the FDE is on back order but they will be coming. After all these years of waiting a little longer won't hurt.  After the CAV closing some years back there were LOTS of really great buys out there on the "left over" stock but I never found the FDE I was looking for. I really didn't want one of the pink ones you could buy for like $25 or whatever!  

I am looking forward to getting my new KP-15 and have lots of great ideas of what to do with it. Maybe I should have ordered two or three!  I want to put together another 9mm AR like I had built on one of my CAV's but right now the parts to do that just aren't out there. Patience...and pray Uncle Joe and his merry crew don't poison the well.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:50:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I got mine last week, looks great and mags drop free except for my original Lancer. With my 18" iron sighted gov profile upper it weighs exactly 6.5 lbs using an H2 buffer. Not super lightweight by modern standards but it balances well.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:27:41 AM EDT
[#16]
KE typically makes good shit, I would buy one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:24:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
KE typically makes good shit, I would buy one.
View Quote

Mine came in today, haven't decided if I put it together or just throw it on the shelf for a rainy day. Good quality plastic but some flashing on the seams if one cares about that, could be easily cleaned up. Ordered it last summer and forgot about it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:40:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I put a FDE one on order but one never knows when it will come. I hear they are making them now so however long that list might be.  In the meantime I have a black one on the way and should have it this week. I was just going through my spare uppers to see what I want to put on it. Ummmm, .22, 5.56 or .300 BLK ??  Maybe my 6mm-45 (6mm/223) Decisions, decisions....  

I do have a very special and somewhat rare 16" Mid-length 1-12 twist light weight barrel that could use a lower. It shoots well with very light bullets that I wouldn't normally put in one of my 1-7's or 1-9's. in the end I want another 9mm on one of these lowers. Best 9mm AR I ever had was built on a Cav 15 lower. Someone offered me too much money for it during the Obama rush and I let it go...

Based on reports on this lower I think I will like it....hope so, I bought two!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:11:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Did a lightweight build with mine as well.  Aero slick side upper, Aero Gen 2 Enhanced handguard and a Faxon pencil barrel.  Comes in right around 5lb, 10oz unloaded with the optic (Primary Arms SLx MD-25 weight in at about 6.5oz).
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:31:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:38:53 AM EDT
[#21]
I have two.

I haven't gotten around to building anything yet.

I've been on a AR10 kick, lately.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:29:23 AM EDT
[#22]

I just put mine together the weekend before last and pictures of it are on page 6 of that thread above.

It has several improvements over the Cav-Arms lower - I have one of those too. The grip is much nicer formed with checkering, the mag well is flared and there is a sling QD attachment point in the rear, along with a sling slot that has been elevated from where the Cav-Arms version had it.

I bought the stripped lower and it went together easily with mil spec parts.

I am hoping to shoot it when it gets a little warmer, but I expect no problems since the lower does not really get any stress during shooting. It function tested just fine.

I have had the Cav-Arms version since 2008 and never a problem out of it.

I already have 30 ARs even though I just sold 2 in the last few weeks, but this thing went together so easy and is so nice I am thinking about ordering the FDE version.

eta:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I just put mine together the weekend before last and pictures of it are on page 6 of that thread above.

It has several improvements over the Cav-Arms lower - I have one of those too. The grip is much nicer formed with checkering, the mag well is flared and there is a sling QD attachment point in the rear, along with a sling slot that has been elevated from where the Cav-Arms version had it.

I bought the stripped lower and it went together easily with mil spec parts.

I am hoping to shoot it when it gets a little warmer, but I expect no problems since the lower does not really get any stress during shooting. It function tested just fine.

I have had the Cav-Arms version since 2008 and never a problem out of it.

I already have 30 ARs even though I just sold 2 in the last few weeks, but this thing went together so easy and is so nice I am thinking about ordering the FDE version.

eta:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116588/KP15-010921E_jpg-1771921.JPG
View Quote

QD hole was too big to use as it comes, you have to buy a QD insert from KE to use it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:51:06 PM EDT
[#24]
For my second AR build (finishing it this week), I had originally wanted to use the KP-15 to save weight, and while not retro per se, it would go well with the build (simple, irons-only, with a carry handle), but then I realized I'd have to use a grip fin on it in CA, and the idea was a rifle to use here that wouldn't give me a heart attack if I couldn't get it back from the cops due to the value, so that pretty much killed it.

Still, I'm very curious about it and seeing how it holds up.  

Does anyone know how much a stripped lower weighs?  I've been trying to find that info about the KP-15 but have been unable to find it.  I'm curious what my build would weigh if I had gone that route.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Did they use the A2 stock length?

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Did they use the A2 stock length?

View Quote

A1 length.

I have one of the cav lowers and with a light weight barrel on it, it's pretty nice. I havent seen on of the new ones yet but it seems to fix all of the problems I have with the originals.

Only issue for me is length of pull with armor. Slimmer plates or swimmer cut might fix this.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:33:17 PM EDT
[#28]
What’s the weight on something like that?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A1 length.

I have one of the cav lowers and with a light weight barrel on it, it's pretty nice. I havent seen on of the new ones yet but it seems to fix all of the problems I have with the originals.

Only issue for me is length of pull with armor. Slimmer plates or swimmer cut might fix this.
View Quote

Okay, it just "looks" really long.  But A1-length is okay.  Shorter would have been better, but it still looks nice.

I have an old-school CavArms lower, it does well, but I have also seen some that were pretty shitty.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/3UrO86q.jpg

Did a lightweight build with mine as well.  Aero slick side upper, Aero Gen 2 Enhanced handguard and a Faxon pencil barrel.  Comes in right around 5lb, 10oz unloaded with the optic (Primary Arms SLx MD-25 weight in at about 6.5oz).
View Quote

I like that!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:26:31 AM EDT
[#31]
My black one came in today, still waiting for the FDE.
First impressions:

WOW, only 8.5 pounds to pull that trigger......  maybe I can put a heavier spring on it!    (sarcasm alert, but yes it really is that high with the "mil-spec" trigger. Luckily I have some better FCG parts to swap into it.)

Compared to my late model CAV-15:  Its similar in some regards, different in others. How so?  

As has been mentioned it does have a nice finish for what it is. The welds look nicer.
I miss the stock storage compartment my CAV has.
If you look at the material on the front of the mag well it is thin compared to the CAV. I think they might have made that part a bit thicker.
The CAV and the KP look more alike than different. I guess you could say the KP is just another evolutionary step in the progress of the "plastic" one piece lower.  I have three different lower assemblies made by three difference companies. The KP wins, but not by much over my CAV. Of course you can't buy a new CAV any more so its a moot comparison.  
The hole for the sling mount: Great idea but why oh why didn't they just put that little cheap insert in the stock for the sling mount in at the factor rather than having me pay $14.95 PLUS SHIPPING, to be able to use that hole?

Would I buy it again?   Easy question: Yes I would, it beats the competition hands down. (Oh wait...there is no real competition!...sorry....)

(Disclosure statement:  While I did pay for this lower like anyone else I am biased in that I have loved and used polymer lowers for many years. )

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:42:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:  My black one came in today, still waiting for the FDE.
First impressions:

WOW, only 8.5 pounds to pull that trigger......  maybe I can put a heavier spring on it!    (sarcasm alert, but yes it really is that high with the "mil-spec" trigger. Luckily I have some better FCG parts to swap into it.)

Compared to my late model CAV-15:  Its similar in some regards, different in others. How so?  

As has been mentioned it does have a nice finish for what it is. The welds look nicer.
I miss the stock storage compartment my CAV has.
If you look at the material on the front of the mag well it is thin compared to the CAV. I think they might have made that part a bit thicker.
The CAV and the KP look more alike than different. I guess you could say the KP is just another evolutionary step in the progress of the "plastic" one piece lower.  I have three different lower assemblies made by three difference companies. The KP wins, but not by much over my CAV. Of course you can't buy a new CAV any more so its a moot comparison.  
The hole for the sling mount: Great idea but why oh why didn't they just put that little cheap insert in the stock for the sling mount in at the factor rather than having me pay $14.95 PLUS SHIPPING, to be able to use that hole?

Would I buy it again?   Easy question: Yes I would, it beats the competition hands down. (Oh wait...there is no real competition!...sorry....)

(Disclosure statement:  While I did pay for this lower like anyone else I am biased in that I have loved and used polymer lowers for many years. )
View Quote

The compartment is still there.  Just swap the buttplates.

Was comparing the Mk 1, Mk2, & the KP-15 (Mk 3) today.  The KP-15 looks like it wasn't even made by the same company!  

No, really, I'm delighted w/ my KP-15, and have had Cav Arms, Sabre, & GWACS lowers.  The KP-15 is well worth it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:58:21 AM EDT
[#33]

Love mine
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:58:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:15:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Because the pricing structure and skus were created over a year before product started shipping.  If we had included them and made the MSRP $124.95 for a stripped lower vs $109.95 people would be complaining that the price was too high.  

The QD sockets were completed about 2 months after we started shipping receivers.   Not all these things can happen concurrently.  Delaying shipments of thousands of receivers to fill out ever possible accessory for them first would be bad business and enrage the people waiting.

It’s another part (non critical) that can potentially run out and prevent the shipment of receivers during an period of unprecedented demand.  If the sku is supposed to include and we’re out we can’t ship to distributors.
View Quote

I am grateful for having this new lower. I have bought two (got the black and waiting on the FDE) and would highly recommend then to anyone interested. I fully understand the price structure thing, but hey, to be "objective" and not seen as a fan boy one has to find something to gripe a little about !  

The trigger pull is an easy fix, been working with these things for years, no worries. I see they don't recommend a two-stage trigger..sad, I have a new RRA two stage in the bag waiting but they don't recommend it I guess.
The sling mount insert, again, simple fix and fifteen bucks (plus shipping) won't break my bank account. I will just need to add some other cool items in on the order to spread out the shipping cost. That's always easy and fun!

I have used the CAV lowers for a long time and learned to love them. This new KP lower is clearly an evolution of the species and over-all a good improvement that I like. Spending my money to buy two of them says all I need to say about how I feel about them.  I now have three different designs of non-metallic AR lowers. The KP is clearly my favorite over all. As they say, if you know how many you have you have too few.

The sling mount insert looks like the MagPul one. Does anyone know if the Magpul will fit?

If any of you have not watched the history of these, you should as its good info and very interesting:
History of the monolithic AR lower
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#36]
I bought two, one was for a .22 upper I wanted to dedicate the lower to, the other was for a project to be named at a later date.

The construction seems excellent and though I haven’t gotten them out to the range yet I think they’ll probably hold up no problem.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#37]
So how come I never hear of GWACS much when people talk about these lowers and the history.  This isn’t my area of expertise and I don’t own any of any polymer lower but I thought it was calv arms made it and then sold the equipment/patent to GWACS for the last 5+ years, and then at some point recently GWACS sold it to KE.  Seems like polymer lowers dropped into a black hole when GWACS owned it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:  So how come I never hear of GWACS much when people talk about these lowers and the history.  This isn’t my area of expertise and I don’t own any of any polymer lower but I thought it was calv arms made it and then sold the equipment/patent to GWACS for the last 5+ years, and then at some point recently GWACS sold it to KE.  Seems like polymer lowers dropped into a black hole when GWACS owned it.
View Quote

GWACS didn't sell to KE.  They lost their lease, and have only recently popped up again.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:13:33 AM EDT
[#39]
I love mine.  I've owned a Cav Arms MKII and a Sabre Defense version (the same thing just branded differently) in the past and really prefer this version.  All the changes are well thought out.  I love the new grip and the mag well is something I wish was on all my lowers now.

This build is right at 6.5# as pictured (included light and sight) using a standard upper, an H2 buffer, standard PSA Premium BCG, Faxon 16" mid-length gas Gunner barrel, and 15" Midwest light weight combat rail.  I could easily get this below 6# if I swapped out the upper and the BCG for lightweight versions and I'm not even using high end, titanium parts or anything:

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

GWACS didn't sell to KE.  They lost their lease, and have only recently popped up again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  So how come I never hear of GWACS much when people talk about these lowers and the history.  This isn’t my area of expertise and I don’t own any of any polymer lower but I thought it was calv arms made it and then sold the equipment/patent to GWACS for the last 5+ years, and then at some point recently GWACS sold it to KE.  Seems like polymer lowers dropped into a black hole when GWACS owned it.

Gotcha, I used to see them at the big Tulsa gun show but I haven’t seen them in there in years.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:  Gotcha, I used to see them at the big Tulsa gun show but I haven’t seen them in there in years.
View Quote

Apparently, they didn't take as good care of the mold as Cav Arms did, and after they got set up, they did one big run of several colors, and then sold them as complete rifles and lowers at a low rate for several years.

InRange TV (Ian & Karl) did the WWSD 2017 project, and enthusiasts bought out the entire inventory.  GWACS didn't have the cash to have a new mold made, so they sold nearly every lower they had, including multi-color lowers they had made when changing colors in the mold.  W/o steady money coming in, they lost their lease, and everyone concerned, including Ian & KE-Arms, thought that was the last of em.

They've just popped up at a new address, still advertising their $1k pink rifle and lightweight takedown pins.  I may order some.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#42]
The similarities between the KP15 and CAV15 end at the external appearance.

The KP15 is light-years ahead of the Cav15.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#43]
The only thing that keeps me from ordering a KP15 lower is the fact that I can't buy it in OD green.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:29:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:  The similarities between the KP15 and CAV15 end at the external appearance.
View Quote

Er, no.  The mechanical features and the internal features are very similar.  The KP-15 has improved welding, better fit & finish, an improved polymer, a mag well funnel, and a better pistol grip.  But even the reinforcement behind the carbine buffer tube is very likely near identical to the Cav Arms Mk 2.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:32:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:  The only thing that keeps me from ordering a KP15 lower is the fact that I can't buy it in OD green.
View Quote

Oh, come on.  Is spray-paint that hard?

https://www.krylon.com/products/camouflage-paint
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:44:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Er, no.  The mechanical features and the internal features are very similar.  The KP-15 has improved welding, better fit & finish, an improved polymer, a mag well funnel, and a better pistol grip.  But even the reinforcement behind the carbine buffer tube is very likely near identical to the Cav Arms Mk 2.
View Quote

Bye Felicia is from AJ, Arizona.  People in East Mesa and Apache Junction know about two things:  Meth Amphetamine and monolithic plastic AR lowers.  Felicia probably knows a little about these.  Maybe a lot.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:05:13 PM EDT
[#47]
If parts were a little easier to come by, I’d snag BBC a few... I don’t need to build anything right now though and parts are to spendy for “just because” builds
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:07:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If parts were a little easier to come by, I'd snag BBC a few... I don't need to build anything right now though and parts are to spendy for "just because" builds
View Quote

What's BBC?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:11:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  The similarities between the KP15 and CAV15 end at the external appearance.

It's an Ar15 lower. Because of that they have some similar dimensions. Just like any AR lower.

However the KP15 is designed from the ground up as a new product. Mold flow analysis was used. It was designed from the beginning to use linear vibration welding(the CAV15 was designed for sonic welding). Etc, etc, etc.
Really my entire point is that people are doing the KP15 a disservice at this point continuing to compare it with the Cav15.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:11:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:  Bye Felicia is from AJ, Arizona.  People in East Mesa and Apache Junction know about two things:  Meth Amphetamine and monolithic plastic AR lowers.  Felicia probably knows a little about these.  Maybe a lot.
View Quote

So I'm informed.  I look forward to his exposition.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top