Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2001 4:50:08 PM EDT
I just read about it in Drudge. I think it will go over like Charlies Angels.

I'll wait till it comes out on video and I have a cold that day.

Gonna be a stinker.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I would like to see the movie. Only thing holding me back is that it has Alex Baldwin in it and I refuse to add my money to his pockets.
(unless it's for a ticket out of the good ole USA)[sniper]

Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#3]
yeah there making a big deal about it over here, I'll wait for blockbuster
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I told my girlfriend we can go see it if we get in free (we know someone who manages a theatre) because I am not contributing a damned dime to that communist bastard asswhipe Baldwin, who should be deported or beaten, or beaten and deported.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#5]
The special effects are supposed to be pretty good but the surrounding story…
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I was watching Entertainment Tonight, when one of the question asked what the movie, and the man said an uncommittal "it was entertaining."  I am not going to see that movie, because I am not give Alec Baldwin one thin dime.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 8:19:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Alec Baldwin's in it???? Shit. From the trailer's I was looking forward to it. Guess I'll have to wait for the "rent one, get one free" from Blockbuster to see it. On second thoght, maybe I'll just go and buy the DVD of
"The Matrix".
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's some errors to look for iffin any of you decide to watch the thing.

[b]mistake[/b]: Dorie Miller's anti-aircraft gun fires blank ammunition. It is clearly noticeable by the crumpled head on the shell casing instead of an actual bullet. (This might be corrected in the final film.)

[b]Anachronism[/b]: Several of the ships shown during the attack weren't commissioned until the 1980's. Missile launchers are visible on some ships. (This might be corrected in the final film.)
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't care what the critic says.
I'm still going to see it anyways, don't matter if it's bad or not.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 11:09:11 PM EDT
[#10]
As I type I can see the glow from the carrier's deck where the event is happening at this very moment. Perhaps the lovely Faith Hill is performing now? The fact that Alec Baldwin is in the movie leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Frankly, I'd rather masturbate with a cheese grater than watch Alec in a movie anyday. But I'll probably end up watching it anyway. Cuba Gooding JR (Sp?) was on the local radio this afternoon and reported there was a $218 million budget. $180 million of which was to be spent on special effects,leaving little for the actors. Cuba stated that the actors were paid substantially lower than normal.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 11:15:44 PM EDT
[#11]
If I was at Block Buster, and Tora! Tora! Tora! was on the shelf, right next to this movie, I'd take Tora! Tora! Tora!.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 11:21:22 PM EDT
[#12]
lora croft lora croft lora croft .... oops ... sorry I wuz daydreamin' again. teehee [:D]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 12:55:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Addendum:

FYI, the premiere must have just ended, as I am seeing a spectacle of fireworks from the carrier. Beautiful display.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 1:09:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Frankly, I'd rather masturbate with a cheese grater
View Quote

What a statement.........A Classic......

FWIW, Alec Kommiewin can FOAD........
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 1:37:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Here's some errors to look for iffin any of you decide to watch the thing.

[b]mistake[/b]: Dorie Miller's anti-aircraft gun fires blank ammunition. It is clearly noticeable by the crumpled head on the shell casing instead of an actual bullet. (This might be corrected in the final film.)
View Quote

..and Cuba Gooding Jr is shaking like a retard to simulate recoil, even though the belt of blanks clearly is not moving.

The movie is actually a love story. Mostly dealing with a typical tired old love triangle theme, woman torn between two lovers. It just happens to have a 45 minute "war" movie in the middle of the 2 hour love story (yes, the whole thing is nearly three hours long).

I wont be going to see this one. But most of the movie going sheep will and it will make many millions.

BTW: The actors pay is tied to the movies profits. So you are putting cash directly in Alec Baldwins pockets if you go to this one.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 3:08:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I was at my dad's house watching TV the other night and the preview was on. He was on his way to the john (his home away from home) and stopped in his tracks to watch a little of it. As soon as the zero flew on its side between those two buildings, he laughed and walked out of the room. I guess you can't fool an old WWII vet.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 3:12:51 AM EDT
[#17]
How much you wanna bet that they run the McCain Gun Safety trailer, too?

Sorry it sounds like a looser.  I want to see it.  I saw the book in the book store and it was written by the same guy who wrote the book, Braveheart!
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 7:23:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Listening to the coverage(WABC, conservative talk radio in my area, is a disney affiliate so they sent a host over), FDR is a hero and the japanese are sympathetic - something about how the oil embargo forced them into a corner. We wouldn't want to hurt their feelings, now would we? The kicker? Baldwin's playing James Doolittle.

Jeez, the previews were promising but I can't stomach that commie idiot.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 8:29:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Nephew was an extra in the movie, he's plans to check it out first, then maybe I will go.

[puke]Alec[puke]Baldwin
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Zeros flying sideways between buildings and swooping within a foot of the ground-christ what a joke.[rolleyes]

[puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke]
[puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 11:48:35 PM EDT
[#21]
from the commericals it appears as thought Cuba Gooding jr is the only black person in the film, will they be showing him fighting in all black troops? since the military was segragated back then
or will he be fighting along side the white boys? which (i assume) will be totally inaccurate
were there any segragated black troops in pearl harbor?

this is nothing against cuba gooding, i think hes a good actor, and i think its a good idea to show the sacrifices made by the black troops in WW2 -- much like my guns, i want an ACCURATE movie
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 12:04:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
much like my guns, i want an ACCURATE movie
View Quote

It will be a rare cold day in hell before you get an accurate movie of anything from Hollyweird.  The people that make movies, think of them more as entertainment and than documentaries.  Just think of movies as being similar to the 6 o'clock, more entertainment than facts.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 2:17:50 AM EDT
[#23]
As I said my dad is a WWII vet. He was at Pearl a few months after the bombing then went to Samoa, the Solomans, and finally Iwo Jimi where he was attached to the Marines as a radioman. He was in the Navy as a signalman, but the Marines wanted him because her knew the radio, so he had to hoof it through all the crap with those guys. He had an 03 or M1 Carbine most of the time, but the Marines made him carry ammo for the BAR along with the radio. Guess they don't like Navy boys. he he

Anyway, according to him, the blacks he knew were either stewards or they worked on the logistical side humping ammo and things of that nature. In fact, quite a few black men were killed when the Japanese blew the ammo dump at Iwo. He said he will never forget that sight.

As far as Cuba Gooding Jr., if he portrays a Navy steward, that would be historically correct, right? I don't think blacks fought alongside the Marines in those days, did they?

He also said the assertion that we forced the Japanese into the war is partially correct. The embargo threatened the Japanese industrial complex and we fully expected what the result would be. And Roosevelt wanted to get us into the war in Europe. Pearl was just the ticket.

After the war, he was speaking with a friend who was a submariner and they got talking about the attack. My father asked his friend his opinion if he felt Pearl was really a surprise, or if we knew it was in the works, etc. His friend replied, “Well, I don’t know who knew what, but I can tell you we were sinking Japanese subs three weeks before it started. I know because I was on the sub when we were doing it”.

Anyway, I have no sympathy for the Japanese. They got what they deserved.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 3:23:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Disgusting !
The NAV gets duped again by the liberal ball cheeze of the planet. It dosen't surprize me that the film sucks and i'll venture to say there might be an inquery or two into the apparent vast expense incured by the military (taxpayers) for the GAY la celebration on the carrier not to mention the disruption of normal operations on base while filming. Anyone notice the scrapes on baldwins chin ? (from crusty old ball sacks no doubt) I gotta go puke.

out
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 6:55:27 AM EDT
[#25]
My memory on this is fuzzy, but I (faintly) recall reading somewhere in the distant past about a black navy man (they were almost exclusively stokers, cooks, & stewards prior to the 50's) manning a machine gun and actually shooting down one of the attacking planes at Pearl.  It was played up as a recruiting tool after the attack.

Did the U.S. force Japan to attack us?  You can look at it that way.  Did we know that they'd attack Pearl?  I severely doubt it.  Did we expect something?  Almost certainly.

[sniper]
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 7:03:29 AM EDT
[#26]
i bet at the end of the movie it dosnt show us nukin japan it wouldnt be PC
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 7:43:43 AM EDT
[#27]
You can bet that this movie is gonna be politically correct crap. I won't see it until it comes to cable just because alex baldwin is in it.

In regard to some previous posts about Cuba goding jr., I do remember watching a history channel piece about a black gun crew that shot down some jap planes so this part of the film is probably accurate.

I will bet that the movie does everything it can to portray the japs in a good light.

Off topic, I really liked Enemy at the Gate.  I thought that it was very well done and don't understand why it didn't do better.  Unlike the silly Saving Private Ryan, it was based on a true story and the sniper scenes were more realistic.  With so many true stories comming from WWII, why did they feel the need to make up the story in Saving Private Ryan? The US govt NEVER sent troops in combat to recover the only surviving sibling in a family. They never did that!!! So why make it up??? I liked Enemy at the Gate because it illustrated the importance of the individual rifleman and showed that one man can/did make a difference. It also showed war as the dirty and gritty business that it is. Even though Gates was exaggerated at times, it is my favorite war movie. The only thing that comes close is Full Metal Jacket and that is mostly because of R.Lee Ermys part and the basic training during the first half of the film.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 10:06:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Mattja has this correct, and it is even presented as such in the film put on by the US park service prior to the Arizona tour in Pearl.  I saw an interview with a black man that manned an anti aircraft gun on a ship in Pearl, he was a cook and most of the white men on deck were killed.

The Army was segregated into seperate units, the Navy just put all African Americans into "lowly" jobs.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 11:09:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Damn you guys.  Damn you guys.  I have been looking foreward to this movie since I saw the trailer several weeks ago.  A bunch of co-workers and I have already planned a manly day to go and see the movie.  Alec Baldwin, I never saw him in the trailer.  Yea and that other turd, Afleck (SP) I can clearly remember seeing him standing next to Al Gore during the election with some other Holly Wood scum.

I could put most of the historical inaccurracies behind me, but now I don't know.    
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 8:10:45 AM EDT
[#30]
I was just watching about this movie on the news (which I wanted to see, but not after this) and anything that might be slightly offensive to the Japanese is going to be altered/cut from the film so they can make a buck overseas with it!!!  They said they don't want to make a pro-American film! Boy, don't go bein' proud of your country now you commie bastards!  Hey, if you don't like the way history happened, you can always write your own P fu@k1ng C version!  Did the Germans go whine when all those movies came out about the holocaust?  Geez!  It's history!  Offensive or not!  It happened THAT way!  Sorry, it's just that this PC crap is really ruining this country.  Makes me mad.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 8:29:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 8:52:51 PM EDT
[#32]
well i get to c it tommrow for free
i tihink ill just tell my friends thar are going with me wake me up when the bombing starts
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#33]
From the previews I have seen, the special effects are obviously computer generated special effects and look rather hokey.  I think 'Tora, Tora, Tora' is probably better because the actually used airplanes, ships, etc and real explosions and so forth instead of computer generating them and it was a great movie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top