Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2004 11:01:00 AM EDT
I am trying to find out which anti-gun politicians carry themselves, or have private armed security guards.  I know they are out there and I find this to be the ultimate in hypocrisy.  They think that only they could be responsible enough to handle a firearm, and that the average citizen is incapable.  Do any of you have any examples of this?
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 11:08:33 AM EDT
[#1]
If'n they works in D.C. there shouldn't be anyone but LEO carrying... and criminals.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Dianne Feinswine had herself deputized a Special US Marshal and always packs heat.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Dianne Feinswine had herself deputized a Special US Marshal and always packs heat.

link or reference?
that's very interesting, and believeable.
she is a hypocritical piece of scum.
but, I'd like to see the story.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

link or reference?
that's very interesting, and believeable.
she is a hypocritical piece of scum.
but, I'd like to see the story.

i knew she had a CCW at one time, didn't know she was deputized though
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 11:27:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If'n they works in D.C. there shouldn't be anyone but LEO carrying... and criminals.

The Liberals are criminals.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Rosie O'Donnell's hiring of armed guards for her kids, leaps to mind.

Sarah Brady's out-of-state rifle purchase for her son. Not sure of the particulars, might have been a straw purchase.

And as with Feinstein, all the pols putting forward anti-gun legislation do so while benefiting from armed protection.

And Million Mom Marcher Barbara Graham shoots innocent man Kikko Smith

And several years ago, a leading member of Handgun Control Inc fired on two teens that were skinny-dipping in his pool, using an unregistered handgun. I'll find his name in a minute. Trying to recall his name / find link. His Jr son was a Fed, opposite side of issue, I think he gave his father the gun years before. The HCI Elder died a couple years ago.  EDIT - Carl Rowan was his name, columnist for the WaPo, among other things.

and Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D, WV) bragged about having an AR15 right after voting FOR the AWB.

Link Posted: 4/26/2004 11:35:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Dan Perata, State Assemblyman from Oakland, Calif. IIRC, one of the reasons he requested the CCW lic. from the state or city was due to the the threats he was getting from gun rights activists (so he said) who were trying to get him to stop anti-gun legislation. Do I sense a logical disconnect here?
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#8]
DiFi turned in her CC permit many moons ago.  I'd do a google or yahoo search on the details - but I'm too lazy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
DiFi turned in her CC permit many moons ago.  I'd do a google or yahoo search on the details - but I'm too lazy.

Traded it in for body guards.  Only the privilaged walk DC with firearms.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:and Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D, WV) bragged about having an AR15 right after voting FOR the AWB.

See, that's the very personification of the fucked up elitist liberal attitude that these ass hats have. When all's said and done they can be seen as the lowest common denominator, because they liv under a blanket of impunity from the jaked up laws they slap on the morons who allow them to et into office.

To me that comment alone is enough for people to stand up and say, Yeah, um, we're going to have him removed. M'kay? If they represent the people and the people don't agree with the shit they are doing, why should it be so hard to throw them out on the steps.

Ok... I'm getting wicked pissed over having read that.

------ Liberal Politicians
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I just e-mailed the NRA-ILA to see if I can get the answer to this question. I'll post it up if I do.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#12]
No help.  They said it's not public record, and they didn't want to betray someone for doing something legal, even if they're fighting against us.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#13]
In the liberal world, everyone is equal.  Course some are a little more equal.

5sub
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 12:08:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Fat Ted Kennedy has armed body guards with him.

There was a news story about it when one of his body guards was stopped with a gun where guns were prohibited. Don't recall the details but nobody was prosecuted, of course!
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 12:31:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

There was a news story about it when one of his body guards was stopped with a gun where guns were prohibited. Don't recall the details but nobody was prosecuted, of course!

Well,

In Kennedy's case, I think he has reason to be afraid of gunmen.

Not that I like the man.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 12:34:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well,

In Kennedy's case, I think he has reason to be afraid of gunmen.

Not that I like the man.

Nah, just getting too old to swim out of submerged cars in a current anymore.

Tj
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 12:36:06 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:and Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D, WV) bragged about having an AR15 right after voting FOR the AWB.

See, that's the very personification of the fucked up elitist liberal attitude that these ass hats have. When all's said and done they can be seen as the lowest common denominator, because they liv under a blanket of impunity from the jaked up laws they slap on the morons who allow them to et into office.

To me that comment alone is enough for people to stand up and say, Yeah, um, we're going to have him removed. M'kay? If they represent the people and the people don't agree with the shit they are doing, why should it be so hard to throw them out on the steps.

Ok... I'm getting wicked pissed over having read that.

------ Liberal Politicians

Not to deliberately push you completely over the edge, but the bit I read about him stated he was illegally keeping it in his D.C. townhome, too.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 5:07:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

One of his bodyguards carried an SMG. Discreetly, in a briefcase. He can, we can't. He supposedly stopped this after word got out. But I trust Teddy about as far as I can throw him.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 6:50:02 AM EDT
[#19]
IIRC, Feinswine had TWO CCW permits (why they were different I don't know) and only turned ONE in. As far as I know, she still packs.

The info came from one of my NRA magazines about 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 6:56:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I'd like to see validation of that!
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 7:00:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd like to see validation of that!

I'd also like to see if this is true!
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 8:33:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Rosie O'Donnell's hiring of armed guards for her kids, leaps to mind.

Sarah Brady's out-of-state rifle purchase for her son. Not sure of the particulars, might have been a straw purchase.
No, it was a gift to an immediate family member. Totally legal.

And as with Feinstein, all the pols putting forward anti-gun legislation do so while benefiting from armed protection.

And Million Mom Marcher Barbara Graham shoots innocent man Kikko Smith
My personal favorite example!

And several years ago, a leading member of Handgun Control Inc fired on two teens that were skinny-dipping in his pool, using an unregistered handgun. I'll find his name in a minute. Trying to recall his name / find link. His Jr son was a Fed, opposite side of issue, I think he gave his father the gun years before. The HCI Elder died a couple years ago.  EDIT - Carl Rowan was his name, columnist for the WaPo, among other things.
Rowan was a lying two-faced rascist columnist. His son is on the NRA BOD.

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:55:58 PM EDT
[#23]
btt
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:21:03 AM EDT
[#24]
In Chicago, Richard Daley has armed undercover cops around him all the time. There's always a couple unmarked cars around the house.
He also sees fit to allow all members of the city council to carry concealed. There was an incident a few years ago where Dorothy Tillman, an alderwoman, pulled out her .38 snub in council chambers and waved it around to make a point. I don't remember what her point was, but she was able to get away with brandishing in one of the most anti-gun cities in the country.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:47:37 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One of his bodyguards carried an SMG. Discreetly, in a briefcase. He can, we can't. He supposedly stopped this after word got out. But I trust Teddy about as far as I can throw him.

And he was carrying on the Senate floor, as i heard it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Gun-toting aldermen have law on their side

Chicago Tribune Nov 19, 1991

Although state law prevents ordinary citizens from carrying concealed handguns, pistol-packing politicans are another matter.

So when Ald. Dorothy Tillman (3rd) allegedly drew a .38-caliber snub nosed revolver from her purse Wednesday night during a melee at a South Side community redistricting meeting, she may not have violated the law.

According to state laws, a town's aldermen are considered "conservators of the peace." As such, they have the power to arrest and the power to carry firearms.

Illinois law reqires all conservators of the peace to pass a training class in order to carry firearms. But because the city is a home-rule municipality with the power to pass its own legislation, Chicago aldermen are, by special mention, exempt from the certification process, said Andrea Swearingen, spokeswoman for the Chicago corporation counsel's office.

Ald. Edward Burke (14th) said a law search by his office revealed the same.

"It is probably an anachronism that dates back to the time when Chicago was a center for cowboys," Burke said.

But others said that though within her rights, Tillman could still face legal trouble if an investigation shows she acted irresponsibly.

According to Jerry Gladden, a 30-year veteran of the Chicago police force and now chief investigator of the Chicago Crime Commission, aldermen, like other law officers, can only pull a gun if they or someone else is under immediate threat of serious bodily harm.

But the likelihood of Tillman suffering any fallout from her alleged actions appear fairly slim.

The most famous Chicago politician to get into trouble over a gun was the late Ald. Mathias "Paddy" Bauler, who was accused of shooting two policemen trying to enter a private party at a tavern he owned. In a sensational 1934 trial, he was acquitted, and he served on the council for another 30 years.

In 1987, former Ald. Wallace Davis (27th) was acquitted of charges that he beat a former employee with a gun because he believed she had cooperated in an FBI investigation against him.

But Tillman has only been accused of waving a gun, a less serious offense. And if she carries a gun, she is not the only alderman to do so.

Ald. Allan Streeter (17th) was recently caught by Michigan police carrying a gun at a routine traffic stop. Ald. Rickey Hendon (27th) admitted on the floor of the City Council last week to carrying a gun on a semi-regular basis. And Ald. William Beavers (7th), a police officer on leave from the Police Department, said he sometimes carries one "out of habit."
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I read the news accts at the time of Teddy's bodyguard.  He was going into the building to get Teddy from his office and tried to check his guns with security.  He had, by various accts, with a handgun and a machine gun, or two handguns and a machinegun, and if memory serves, 163 rnds of ammo.  There was a big stink about Teddy's hipocracy, and it quickly disappeared from the news.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

She did have a CCW when she was mayor. That's been confirmed numerous times, including by herself in an AP interview, where she admitted carrying a "5-shot revolver" to protect herself against "terrorists" (she provided no further specifics).

The Special U.S. Marshal speculation, however, remains unconfirmed. (Jim March was vigorously investigating this matter a few years ago, but I don't personally know how far he's gotten since then.)

In any case, here's an interesting read from the USDOJ website, circa 1994:

www.usdoj.gov/olc/depmar.htm

DEPUTIZATION OF MEMBERS OF CONGRESS
AS SPECIAL DEPUTY U.S. MARSHALS

The deputization of members of Congress as special Deputy U.S. Marshals is inconsistent with separation of powers principles and with the statutory language and historical practice governing special deputation.

May 25, 1994

MEMORANDUM FOR FRANCIS J. MARTIN
ACTING GENERAL COUNSEL
UNITED STATES MARSHALS SERVICE

You have requested our assistance in determining whether the United States Marshals Service may deputize members of Congress as special Deputy U.S. Marshals. The Director of the Marshals Service is authorized to deputize the following individuals to perform the functions of Deputy Marshals: selected officers or employees of the Department of Justice; federal, state or local law enforcement officers; private security personnel to provide courtroom security for the Federal judiciary; and other persons designated by the Associate Attorney General. 28 C.F.R. § 0.112; see also 28 U.S.C. § 561(f) (authorizing Director of Marshals Service to appoint "such employees as are necessary to carry out the powers and duties of the Service").

We believe that deputation of members of Congress is inconsistent with separation of powers principles and with the statutory language and historical practice governing special deputation.(1) First, deputizing members of Congress violates the principle recognized in Bowsher v. Synar, 478 U.S. 714 (1986), that Congress may not exceed its constitutionally prescribed authority by playing a direct role in executing the laws. The Marshals Service is clearly a part of the executive branch(2) and the primary duties of Deputy Marshals are the execution and enforcement of federal law. See Steele v. United States, 267 U.S. 505, 508 (1925) (deputy marshals are "chiefly charged with the enforcement of the peace of the United States"); United States v. Krapf, 285 F.2d 647, 649 (3rd Cir. 1960) (duties of marshals include the "enforcement, maintenance and administration of the federal authority"); 28 U.S.C. § 566 (describing the duties of the Marshals Service). Permitting members of Congress to execute and enforce the laws encroaches upon the very heart of the executive authority and violates one of the fundamental tenets of separation of powers jurisprudence: "[t]he structure of the Constitution does not permit Congress to execute the laws . . . ." Bowsher v. Synar, 478 U.S. 714, 726 (1986).

Members of Congress presumably request special deputation so that they may carry weapons for personal security and not so that they may actually execute or enforce the law. Nonetheless, deputized members of Congress will have statutory authority to enforce the law. Moreover, the fact that a legislative usurpation of executive power may prove to be innocuous or inchoate does not mean that it is constitutionally permissible. Legislative intrusions into the executive sphere that may prove harmless in practice nonetheless violate separation of powers principles. See Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority v. Citizens for the Abatement of Aircraft Noise, 111 S.Ct. 2298 (1991); Bowsher v. Synar, 478 U.S. 714 (1986). "The separated powers of our Government cannot be permitted to turn on" speculative assessments about the likelihood of a legislative official actually exercising usurped executive authority; "in the long term, structural protections against abuse of power [are] critical to preserving liberty." Bowsher, 478 U.S. at 730.

Deputation of members of Congress, furthermore, is not authorized by the statute and regulations governing special deputation. 28 U.S.C. § 561(f) states that the Director of the Marshals Service may appoint "such employees as are necessary to carry out the powers and duties of the Service . . ." (emphasis added). Similarly, 28 C.F.R. § 0.112 provides that the Director may deputize certain persons "to perform the functions of a Deputy U.S. Marshal." Both the Marshals Service and this Office have repeatedly taken the position that the use of the special deputation authority should be limited to those circumstances where the United States Marshal needs the deputations in order to accomplish his or her specific mission. See Memorandum for Rudolph W. Guiliani, Associate Attorney General, from Ralph W. Tarr, Deputy Assistant Attorney General, Office of Legal Counsel (March 18, 1983) (concluding that Marshals Service could not deputize Henry Kissinger's private security service); Memorandum to the Attorney General from John M. Harmon, Acting Assistant Attorney General, Office of Legal Counsel (March 28, 1977) (advising that it would be unlawful for the Marshals Service to deputize former Vice President Rockefeller's security detail). The Marshals Service does not need members of Congress to serve as deputy marshals in order to perform its assigned functions; indeed, members of Congress cannot perform the functions of the Marshals Service without running afoul of separation of powers principles.

It is therefore our conclusion that the Marshals Service cannot continue to grant requests from members of Congress for special deputation. Please let us know if we may be of any further assistance.

Walter Dellinger
                                                                                                Assistant Attorney General

1Because we think that the result is clear under a separation of powers analysis, we do not address the argument that special deputation of members of Congress is invalid under the Incompatibility Clause.

2The United States Marshals Service is a bureau within the Department of Justice and under the authority and direction of the Attorney General. 28 U.S.C. § 561.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#29]
On 9-10-01, I boarded a flight from Washington Reagan to LA.  I was flying in first and the lady next to me was Hadassah Lieberman (...Senator Leiberman's wife?).

I was one of the first on the plane and she boarded near the tail of the line...showing up fashionably late.  As she came aboard, dresssed impeccably, she stopped in the galley area just in front of me and conversed briefly to a giant muscular mountain of a man who was clearly her bodyguard.  I can remember her words to this day:  "Remember, you MUST inform the pilot!".  The giant nodded politely and assured her he would so "inform" the pilot.  The giant was dressed in sports/athletic clothes and sported a fanny pack in front large enough to carry a big frame auto.  He then went to the flight deck and she sat down next to me.

Well gee...it don't take a rocket scientist to figger out what had just transpired.  The protectee just reminded her bodygurd to tell the pilot that he was packing.  I suspect that she and her husband are pretty much anti-gun.

I thought cool...now why can't I pack too?

FWIW, we didn't say two words the entire flight.  She was prepping for a lecture and was very careful to prevent me from peeking at her briefing book...not that I cared anyway.  When we deplaned, she was first off and was waiting for her bodyguard in the jetway.  I was second off and as I walked by her, I very politely said, "Have a nice day, Mrs. Lieberman!"  The surprise on her face was a classic!

As an aside, I got home late from that trip...
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#30]
a bump
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:22:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
On 9-10-01, I boarded a flight from Washington Reagan to LA.  I was flying in first and the lady next to me was Hadassah Lieberman (...Senator Leiberman's wife?).

Hadassah, that's a character from Crank Yankers, LOL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top