Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/25/2004 5:32:10 PM EDT
I will be needing a new vechicle here in the next year, and am looking at cars online.  Who else besides VW make a diesel car?  Would prefer an American car, but realize that probably won't happen, unless I get a 3/4 ton diesel truck.  Diesel trucks are nice, but I don't plan on pulling anything.  Just want better fuel economy.  Thanks for any help you can give me.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Mercedes did/does.
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Jeep is going to make a diesel liberty.

Link Posted: 4/25/2004 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#3]
American car will be tough.
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#4]
VW and Volvo (or at least they did).

Eddie
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Toyota, Nissan, Isuzu, oops.  I forgot.  They don't import them to the USA.

Why?

Because our stupid law that only allows a certain  percentage of a manufacturers vehicles to run on deisel.  Was  a good law once, when deisel was  dirtier than gas, but with the new single rail injection engines it  just ain't so.

People overseas get much better economy and cleaner air to boot.  Silly bastages in congress need to get off their keisters and fix this one.

Link Posted: 4/25/2004 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Bigfoot-

I own a 96 Passat TDI (diesel).  Great freakin' car.  We are at 180,000 miles and have had no serious problems.  
    My father purchased a 99 New Beetle TDI . . . leaves a lot to be desired.  Have had it into the shop no fewer that 4 times in the past 2 years.  It has EGR valve issues inherent in the design of the engine (different than earlier model engines) which cause coking in the air intake manifold (exhaust gas recycling).
    That having been said, next year with the introduction of super clean diesel, this problem will virtually dissapear.
    If you act now you can order a Passat TDI, but they are only being imported in miniscule numbers (1% of importations) and are not built in Guadalajara as are the NB, Golf and Jetta but are instead made in Germany (this means a better vehicle).
    If I understand correctly BMW is also making TDI engines, but I know nothing about it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#7]
far as i know right now it's just vw and mercedes.  unfortunately one of my buddies bought one of the diesel vw's about a year and a half ago and he's had nothing but problems with it.  vw, with the possible exception of the passat seems to have poor reliability.  mercedes, in my experience is overpriced (duh) and somewhat poor reliability.

i was looking into the vw diesel as well as a way to get better gas mileage.
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#8]
The VW jetta and passat is in a price range that I could afford, I can't find the mercedes on their website, but something tells me that I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway.  Any other suggestions would be welcome.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Take a road trip to South America and pick up a Jeep Cherokee Diesel
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 4:22:43 AM EDT
[#10]

The VW jetta and passat is in a price range that I could afford, I can't find the mercedes on their website, but something tells me that I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway. Any other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks again.

Mercedes hasn't imported/marketed any diesel cars to North America since the 1999 model year. However, MBUSA is planning on releasing a new diesel next year alongside Chrysler's Jeep Liberty (which will most likely have an M-B diesel).

The M-B diesels will run almost forever, so just shop for a used one if money's a problem.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 5:58:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The VW jetta and passat is in a price range that I could afford, I can't find the mercedes on their website, but something tells me that I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway. Any other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks again.

Mercedes hasn't imported/marketed any diesel cars to North America since the 1999 model year. However, MBUSA is planning on releasing a new diesel next year alongside Chrysler's Jeep Liberty (which will most likely have an M-B diesel).

The M-B diesels will run almost forever, so just shop for a used one if money's a problem.

Do you know if it will be an SUV or a Sedan?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 6:02:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Land Rover makes one.  I'm not sure if you can get it in the US or not.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#13]
My son has been toying with the idea of buying an old beater VW diesel and making Bio-Diesel to run it on. It cost about .60 per gallon to make and would be a fun experiment too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Our family had a VW Rabbit at one time.  We put 300k on it and I sweat it got about 40+MPG
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Jetta......TDI.........a little chip upgrade and you can have 35mpg and a kick ass people hauler.......

I hate diesel, but that is a good combo.

Loved the girlfriend's old Jetta VR6 GLX.....
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you know if it will be an SUV or a Sedan?  Thanks.

There will not be a true Diesel SUV unless they release A diesel Gwagon which I don't see as likely.

There will be several MB Diesel sedans as well as a all new model, a type of "crossover" vehicle (not SUV, not car, but something else). however, a firm release date is not set.

I wish GM would release a diesel Suburban/Tahoe varient.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

There will not be a true Diesel SUV unless they release A diesel Gwagon which I don't see as likely.

There will be several MB Diesel sedans as well as a all new model, a type of "crossover" vehicle (not SUV, not car, but something else). however, a firm release date is not set.

If I went down to my local MB dealer would they have info on the sedans?, or is it to far in advance?  I'm not much of an SUV guy.  Thanks again.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I went down to my local MB dealer would they have info on the sedans?, or is it to far in advance?  I'm not much of an SUV guy.  Thanks again.  

No, reading car mags and such you'll know about the model before they do. I believe if I remember correctly they are planning on an S class and an E class diesel. You can find the last model E class with Diesel, few and far between but you could probably find a good pre owned one.

Just check out www.caranddriver.com or www.automobilemag.com and search for diesel or "CDI".
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Benz & VW are about it for cars, IIRC...

If you buy American, it will be a truck or SUV...
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#20]
My buddy in college blueprinted a volkwagen rabbit and installed a scirocco 5 speed trany. We routinely got 55MPG and if timed correctly would not smoke at all and would run with any regular gas 4cyl car. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Jeep is going to make a diesel liberty.

Link Posted: 4/26/2004 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I heard VW is going to offer a new SUV with a 10cyl 300HP TDI. That would be interesting! Planerench out.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I heard VW is going to offer a new SUV with a 10cyl 300HP TDI. That would be interesting! Planerench out.

Yeah the Toureg diesel. It's the one to have.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Need pics!
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Need pics!

Looks just like the regular Toureg.

The base of the Toureg was designed in conjunction with the Porsche Cayenne. Fairly capable offroad, great on road. A good looking car in person.  Out of the engine options available the diesel is the one to have. The V6 doesn't have the power, the V8 has been getting surprisingly bad mileage from what I've read. I love me some diesel. There are no American made diesels that are as "civil" as the one's from Europe. Euro diesel fuel is finer than Us diesel as well since more cars run on it there. Burns cleaner.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 5:42:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks guys.  It is appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 5:47:11 AM EDT
[#28]
I just bought a 2004 VW Jetta TDI 3 weeks ago, paid  $18025.00 out the door.
Right now It's got 1080 miles on it , no problems so far. I am happy with it, so is the wife.

120 hp so its not a screamer but with the turbo and inter-cooler it is faster and stronger than our last jetta and still get 50 mpg highway 40 city.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 5:57:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I just bought a 2004 VW Jetta TDI 3 weeks ago, paid  $18025.00 out the door.
Right now It's got 1080 miles on it , no problems so far. I am happy with it, so is the wife.

120 hp so its not a screamer but with the turbo and inter-cooler it is faster and stronger than our last jetta and still get 50 mpg highway 40 city.

Those are all numbers that sound appealing.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 6:33:13 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The M-B E-Class diesel:

www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/pc/pc_range/e_class/model_range/model_home.asp?mRange=e320cdi&modelid=0&automodelid=101524

And the M-Class diesel for the SUV lovers:

www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/pc/main.html?carF=off&carC=m&OV=Y&FE=Y&PC=Y&MO=Y&CH=Y&GA=Y&CO=Y&OW=Y&PL=Y&BR=Y&TD=N&DS=N&FD=Y&MX=Y

(click on the ML 270 CDI link)

Just note that neither of these are available here at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 8:14:28 AM EDT
[#31]

Just a note: NO SHIT. Do you have some kind of compulsion to post? We've already established that Mercedes hasn't marketed any diesels to North America since the 1999 model year. Get it? So yeah, we've already been over that those cars aren't sold here right now. For those interested in an M-B diesel, the links I provided give some idea of what might be on showroom floors in the near future.

Don't bother replying.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 11:45:26 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Just a note: NO SHIT. Do you have some kind of compulsion to post? We've already established that Mercedes hasn't marketed any diesels to North America since the 1999 model year. Get it? So yeah, we've already been over that those cars aren't sold here right now. For those interested in an M-B diesel, the links I provided give some idea of what might be on showroom floors in the near future.

Don't bother replying.

What a dick
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 11:55:48 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Don't bother replying.

Well.  You have about 133 posts per month and he has
about 77 per month.  

You're damn near twice as compulsive!
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks guys. Obviously somene shat in his cornflakes this morning.

I wasn't trying to start anything dude. You can chill out now.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#35]
isuzu used to make a car called the imark. it was a diesel. a little 1.8 liter i think. we pulled one in to our junkyard in kentucky. some people were selling ti for $300. it didn't run so my father in law offered them $25. they took it resold it from the junkyard for $500. seemed like a decent little car. never got to see it run though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#36]

isuzu used to make a car called the imark. it was a diesel. a little 1.8 liter i think. we pulled one in to our junkyard in kentucky. some people were selling ti for $300. it didn't run so my father in law offered them $25. they took it resold it from the junkyard for $500. seemed like a decent little car. never got to see it run though.

Isuzu is actually the second-largest diesel manufacturer in the world (M-B is still the largest), hence GM having them design their Duramax (which I hear is only so-so, due to the fuel economy).

GM used to market a few Isuzu-powered/built vehicles, like the LUV and Chevette. I had a friend who had a diesel Chevette for a few years. He bought it used and drove the living piss out of it until some bitch ran a red light in Denver and totalled it. He had some trouble with the glow plugs right after he got it, but nothing else.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a note: NO SHIT. Do you have some kind of compulsion to post?

Don't bother replying.

What a dick

I'll be the first to say IBTL and +1

Link Posted: 4/27/2004 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

about 77 per month.  

I'd say you missed the point here, Slick. There is nothing more fucking irritating on an internet message board than some Gomer Pyle ASSHOLE and his "CITIZEN'S A-RAY-EST!!! CITIZEN'S A-RAY-EST!!!" posts. HOLY FUCKING SHIT. Yeah, we all know M-B doesn't sell those cars here, it was covered in two or three previous posts within this thread. So the point of adding a post that says "Just a note, I'm a smug little asshole who has something to say to everybody" was what? Was it supposed to inform everybody who didn't see the posts leading up to it stating that M-B hasn't marketed diesel-powered automobiles to the North American continent since 1999? Was it supposed to inform everyone who didn't notice the "uk" in the URL posted? Was it supposed to inform the people who didn't see the righthand drive cars in the links? What the fuck was its purpose, other than to say, "Look at me!!!"
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#39]
If ya have time to wait...this might be cool when/if it ever gets here.

ford-trucks.com/news/2004/news2004-1.html
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

about 77 per month.  

I'd say you missed the point here, Slick. There is nothing more fucking irritating on an internet message board than some Gomer Pyle ASSHOLE and his "CITIZEN'S A-RAY-EST!!! CITIZEN'S A-RAY-EST!!!" posts. HOLY FUCKING SHIT. Yeah, we all know M-B doesn't sell those cars here, it was covered in two or three previous posts within this thread. So the point of adding a post that says "Just a note, I'm a smug little asshole who has something to say to everybody" was what? Was it supposed to inform everybody who didn't see the posts leading up to it stating that M-B hasn't marketed diesel-powered automobiles to the North American continent since 1999? Was it supposed to inform everyone who didn't notice the "uk" in the URL posted? Was it supposed to inform the people who didn't see the righthand drive cars in the links? What the fuck was its purpose, other than to say, "Look at me!!!"

If I wanted people to look at me I'd either :

1) Give a rats ass that you are attacking me over the internet
2) Start a post saying "I'm 21 and looking for a date..."

Grow up man.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#41]
6.) Repeatedly attacking or insulting a person in an effort to elicit a negative response. You have a right to disagree, but please do so in a respectful manner.

one and only warning.

mike
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

about 77 per month.  

since CC rule 6 only covers, "Repeatedly attacking or insulting a person in an effort to elicit a negative response"

i guess it is okay to call you a total motherfucking douche, just once.

please don't try to start shit in a perfectly good thread just pecause your wife slapped you around becuase you didn't hav idnner on the table for her, or because your boss gave you shit about not having a cover page on your TPS report. no one cares why you are a dick, or why you are quick to anger at someone who like yourself was only trying to be helpful...

so just bite your lip and walk away.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 2:49:33 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

about 77 per month.  

HA HA HA HA. Look at YOU!
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Ford is working on a F150 with a straight 6 TD.

The Toureg is the ONE. 355HP, 550ftlbs of TQ and 0-60 in 6.2 sec weighing in at almost 5000lbs and gets 25 MPG! Of course it does/will run almost $60K.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 7:11:29 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
If ya have time to wait...this might be cool when/if it ever gets here.

ford-trucks.com/news/2004/news2004-1.html

Yeah!  Would love to see Ford do the early bronco justice again.  Concept looks kinda neat. Funny I always used to be a chevy man but between the diesel f350's, the 05 stang and now this I find Ford more and more appealing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#46]

Grow up man.

So what the fuck was the purpose of your posts? Who did they benefit, aside from your ego?
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 7:39:13 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Grow up man.

So what the fuck was the purpose of your posts? Who did they benefit, aside from your ego?

You're pathetic. I can't believe you bring this back up after a week.

Go home. Get Laid. Get a life.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#48]

What was the purpose of your post? You an attention whore?
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

What was the purpose of your post? You an attention whore?

Settle down Jimmy. Jesus loves you no matter what. Now quit taking your personal life out on the other members here
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top