Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2001 6:00:10 AM EDT
I have a bad feeling the prices aren't going to be nearly as good as what I can find on the internet.  I am also expecting a bunch or part time FFLs selling a bunch of junk.

Is this fair?  What should I look for?  What are some of the pitfalls?  Should I bring anything?

My father is looking for a pistol, I'm thinking about grabbing a small .380, and I'm looking for AR15 parts from Mags to scopes.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:09:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Caveat Emperor - Buyer beware!  I have seen a lot of junk at gun shows, but there are good deals too, you have just got to know what you're looking for and prices.  I don't know how big the show is, but you may want to bring a back pack to carry your the junk that you bought.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:09:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:24:26 AM EDT
[#3]
GeoffM24,

First, give yourself a budget, however much you are willing to spend.  Then make yourself a shopping list of everything you can think of that you want, and how much you are willing to pay for each item.  I always give myself a hefty budget for ammunition because there are a few bulk sellers that always have good deals.

Buy whatever you want that you can find at the right price, but always look around for the same item from other sellers and don't let anyone talk you into anything you aren't sure about.  Be especially careful on high-priced items like firearms and optics.

I often buy things that have nothing to do with firearms - Photographic equipment, cast-iron cookware, clothing, camping gear, toys for kids, etc.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:24:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Could someone please repost the epic tale of the gun show?  It seems relevant here and I cant find the copy on my hard drive.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:49:59 AM EDT
[#5]
If you go, and are prepared to be lied to, ripped off and cheated, then you won't be disappointed.

The best advice I can give is to know what you are looking at, and know what you can expect to pay.  Be aware, though, that regional prices may vary widely.  Set a budget and stick to it.  I don' tknow how they do it in MA, but in VA the best deals can often be found outside in the parking lot.  Again, caveat emptor.

Let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:52:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, if you believe the ANTIS, you can expect....

A wild West shootout, guns literally jumping off the tables, loading themselves, and spraying bullets all over the arena, killing dozens, perhaps millions of people right there. These rogue guns especially target children, and look for the "gun show loophole" as a way to escape from the confines of the building so they can spread the "message of death" worldwide.

Be especially wary of the semiauto, bolt action machine guns with the 800 round magazines. They are particularly evil.

You also can expect to see representatives from the most wicked, heinous, pro murder, pro suicide, pro child gun death organization in America - the NRA. They will, thru low voltage electromagnetic waves, anal probes, and various other forms of torture, try to convince you to join them in their campaign of death. Just the way they have exercised their Orwellian mind control over 4,000,000 other people.

Lastly, you will see people - the most dangerous people in America. The type of people Janet Reno put on her list of potential domestic terrorists - mostly gun owning, many church going, Bible believing people. The type of people who believe in self-reliance and personal responsibility. Dangerous people. I strongly suggest you go armed. But only if you ahve the gov'ts permission to carry a concealed weapon.

Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:55:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Be ready for
1. Overpriced and flat out rude dealers trying to rake you over the coals with cheap AR parts that are all FN...because they don't k#$%ning know what they are, they label them as FN.

2. People who wait at the door for the private owner that doesn't know what he has is really worth so they can buy it and sell it the next day and make $50 to $100 on it.

3. An occasional "deal" that you just can't pass up like a case of SF .223 ammo for $120.00.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:56:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Expect at least one or two people w/ extra ordinary BODY ODOR!
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:01:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Expect to find good deals and bad deals.  Shop around for a better price.  If you see something you want try to negotiate the price down.  Don't bitch about the price unless you haggled with the guy first.  If he's firm on a high price then bitch.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:06:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Expect at least one or two people w/ extra ordinary BODY ODOR!
View Quote

I forgot about that one. Happens evertime....usually about 1:00 when I'm reminded I have been there since 8:00 without anything to eat and had "other things" on my mind and neglected my stomach. Ruins your appetite.

Go home and take a shower stinky! And use soap this time!
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:08:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:10:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I was at least hoping to score a few good deals.  I hope I at least see a few things.  I also get the feeling I will know more then many dealers about ARs after reading this site for a month.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:17:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Excellent accout Garandman!  Having been to several gun shows myself, I have been very fortunate to escape from the horror both inside and out.  Despite all this, I continue to go back.

Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:29:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Dont forget to shop at the Junk Tables The guys who sells Bibles , Sunglasses , Cheep knive Or The ronco Dicer/slicer/masher/ .

Rob
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Why are there ALWAYS people that decide to hold a group meeting right in the middle of the aisle blocking traffic and ALWAYS when the show is the most crowded???
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Beef jerky, don't forget the beef jerky!!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Caveat Emperor - Buyer beware!
View Quote

I know this isn't Latin class, but it's caveat emptor.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 2:16:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Comparison shop on the net before you go, make sure you know what the prices should be and then prepare to be disappointed with the prices at the show.

It is rare that you find a good deal.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't buy any firearms the first few trips.  Pay close attention to the model(s) you are looking for.  Check local gun shops and do some homework on the internet.  BEWARE!
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Watch out for the GOV/LEO ar 15 refinished mags.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Take a little pocket size notebook and pen. When you see something that looks right, like magazines, write down which row and what table they were at. Then as you go around you can check prices. Of course this is mainly for the big shows as they can have 200 or more tables.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#23]
1. Dumbasses
2. More dumbasses
3. dumbasses that smell like ass
4. Dumbasses trying to rip you off
5. Cops taking pics of suspected gang members.(depending on where you are)
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#24]
there are some great buys out there. but beware and get there early. alot of the buys are gone before they open but the old saying is very true if you do not know anything about a item do not buy it. but if you see something like good gi mags for $5 to $10  and they are pre-ban or ammo than can be bought for a good price why not. have been doing shows for years and I do not think I have attended to many that I did not go home with something. good luck and remember no one can be a expert on everything so if you know your stuff on a few items and know a little on alot of items you will know when that deal comes along. if you see a great deal and you know its a great deal if you wait and look around it may knot be there when you go back. bought a couple of russian sks's a couple of months ago a guy was looking at them then went to the next table and I was right behind him and bought both rifles and he came back pissed because he was going to buy one but wanted to look around a little more and it was a very small show. to bad two nice 1950's russian guns for under $190 each no tax.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I must be in the minority but most gun shows I go to (I live in Nashville) are MOSTLY honest deals with good prices. Everyone who sold AR mags had the LEO mags clearly separated and they were very honest about guns that were " only 70 percent Bushmaster". you should watch yourself and shop smart, but if it is a large gunshow (like Bill Goodmans) then it should be OK, for the most part. ( I found a brand new MAD AR site for $79)[smoke]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#27]
First figure out what you are looking for than research prices on the Net and local dealers. You will find that at the show the prices are 50% are higher than normal, 25% are much higher than normal and 15% are way more than you should pay.

The 10% (at the most) have a good deal, but you better get there before anyone else does.

Link Posted: 5/21/2001 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Go on the last day, best deals
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top