Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2004 4:27:03 PM EDT
Find out what the media is hiding from us.
iraqthemodel.blogspot.com/

iraqataglance.blogspot.com/

hammorabi.blogspot.com/

www.iraq-iraqis.blogspot.com/

www.roadofanation.com/blog/

www.dear_raed.blogspot.com/

messopotamian.blogspot.com/

sunofiraq.blogspot.com/

fayrouz.blogspot.com/

www.iraq.net

armiesofliberation.blogspot.com/2004_04_01_armiesofliberation_archive.html#108157406407580925

Not a Iraqi, but a Westerner that works for a NGO in Baghdad, can be insightful:
babelonandon.blogspot.com

Also the Middle East Media Resource Institute translates and summarizes Arab language media reports. Lots of useful information about Iran's involvement in the Iraq uprising.

Read, and also ask questions! They all have e-mail. In Iraq most people don't have computers at home, they communicate from work or from Internet cafes. If you e-mail therefore it may take a day or two to get a answer.
Link Posted: 4/12/2004 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Most Iraqis want the US to employ a heavier hand than we have to date in Iraq.
Link Posted: 4/12/2004 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting...Thanks
Link Posted: 4/12/2004 10:04:15 PM EDT
[#3]
CNN would hate this. Thanks for the links
Link Posted: 4/12/2004 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#4]
insomnia tag
Link Posted: 4/12/2004 11:07:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Difficult to read (comprehend with so many spelling errors), but tagged for later...

Interesting stuff...Gotta read it in a mid-eastern accent though [lol]
Link Posted: 4/13/2004 12:12:13 AM EDT
[#6]
NOT a Iraq blog, but worth looking at.

[url=http://63.99.108.76/ubb/Forum2/HTML/005229.html]The Manic Moran Diaries of a US Tanker in Iraq from TankNet.com[/url]

Latest entry:
Christ, what a week. Only reason I know today is Easter Sunday is because my watch tells me it is.
I can also say I now know how I’d react to getting shot at. I get rather miffed. Still not sure if I have a killer instinct or not, explanation to follow.

OK.. So, we have a country that’s in uproar, and we are no longer conducting a change of unit, but full-on combat ops, with a tempo to match.

After my first mission, we get back at about 8pm at which point I am informed that I am going along with the 82nd lads to do an area recon. I also brought all my TCs so that on the way back, we could check out the ground for a mission later in the night. By the time everything is prepared (Memoranda to write, risk assessments, etc., printer issues) it’s about 1am for me. By 02:30 I’m awake again (So again, lack of sleep), and the entire leadership of the platoon is off to roam around in a HMMWV. Nothing much happened, we get back, and start prepping for the next mission, which is an area recon. No sleep here either, we leave the gate at about 17:00, with four of my tanks, four AT HMMWVs from the 82nd (with .50 cal, Mk19 instead of TOW, but they kept one of the thermal sights), and the commander’s HMMWV containing the 82nd Company commander, my company commander (doing the right seat ride), their RTO and a driver. As soon as we leave the gate, there’s this loud ‘Boom’. I look over my shoulder, and not three hundered meters there’s what looks like at least an 82mm gone off. We batten down the hatches in pretty good time. Now, the target for this was either our tanks, or a large convoy of container trucks which was waiting to enter the base. There’s this bloody stupid rule that everyone dismounts, gets out, clears their weapons, then gets back in, and enters the base. However, for everyone to get through the clearing point takes for ever, providing a wonderful target.

Anyway, as we progress onwards, we start cracking jokes about now being combat veterans. Riiight.. How little we knew.
OK. The mission goes on. For a quiet little part of the war, it’s pretty darned busy. We could see at least five firefights within ten kilometers of us in our OP as we watch our area (which we think mortars might launch from). The worst of it hit some 1ID guys and resulted in some 15 casualties, I’m told. (Including one Bradley?). Due to the compartmentalization of the battlespace, we weren’t allowed to go charging to the firefight, though we’d have been there in ten minutes or less in most cases. Finally, however, at about 22:00 we get a change of mission and go get sent to create a checkpoint on the road and try to nab some of the ambushers as they drive back from their ambush. For some reason, we drop the AT platoon, so we’re now down to four tanks, and the command Hummer.

Off we go, and we go careening down the road. We stop at a traffic cone in the middle of the road, apparently there’s an Iraqi police station there. After a little checking to confirm that the guys with the AKs were actually police, we go around the corner and go another.. oh… 400meters, maybe less.

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/13/2004 12:14:07 AM EDT
[#7]
The following will be told twice. The first time is what I saw as it happened, the second is what really happened as after I was discussing things with my lads.

We enter a slightly open section, and there’s a lot of popping. Takes me a fraction of a second to think ‘Hey.. that sounds like there’s another ambush going on. We must be near it, wonder how easy it’ll be to find it?’

The next thing which goes through my mind is.. “Well, would you look at that. Tracers.”

I don’t actually remember figuring out that they’re coming at me. I do remember yelling ‘SCAN RIGHT!!!’ Neither do I remember anything between that point, and looking in the GPSE at a target. Dropping into the hatch, mucking around with the seat, moving forward, doesn’t seem to have happened.

I see the most perfect target I could ever expect to see in my career in the thermal sight. A guy crouched, and running parallel to us, carrying what appears to me to be an RPK. (Initially thought it was an RPG, but I don’t think so).. I call for the platoon to stop (Took me a second, my usual response to an ambush is to drive through it, but hey.. I’m in a sixty-ton tank!), and also yell ‘RPG right!’ on the radio.

“Gunner, coax, troop”. Gunner has already flipped the toggle to ‘coax’

Then a ‘Clunk-thunk-unk’, the sight picture jumps around and I lose sight of the guy. Mutual curses from myself and gunner, he plays with the controls, and I have a target again. The person I’m looking at in the sight has no weapon, both hands are in his pockets, and he’s kindof casually standing around. There’s a built-up area near as well. I cannot be 100% sure it’s the same guy I saw two seconds earlier with the RPwhatever, and so don’t shoot. He strolls around, as if he’s a spectator, than after a minute or two, casually walks off.

We’re left cursing our luck. There was so much fuming going on in the tank, you could probably see steam escaping out the hatches.

OK, this is what really happened.

We drive along, and the enemy open up with an ambush consisting of at least two RPGs and two automatic weapons. Interestingly enough, the ambush is from both sides of the road at the same time. They’re evidently not worried about crossfire, though it does complicate things for us. RPGs fly in front of two of my tanks, one of which detonates on the far side, the other, near as we can tell, did not detonate at all. The tracers were all agreed to be high, possibly they were aiming for TCs. An inspection of the tanks later don’t indicate any hits by even small arms. The actual shooting lasted about three or four seconds, it was over bloody quickly. My lead tank’s loader got off a 16-round burst at one chap, he says he’d be surprised if the guy lived given the range, but I’m not optimistic. Nobody else got off a shot. Indeed, to my knowledge, mine was the only gunner to actually acquire a target. They let off one burst, and went to ground. What we think happened is that they’re not used yet to the concept of a whole bunch of tanks in our area, (Apparently my company has only one less tank along than the entire 1st ID) and thought they had another APC convoy going through (M113s, Brads). They launch their attack without knowing that we were a little stronger than that, but after we stopped, slewed the turrets, and that 240 burst as well, I think they probably all copped on, and decided that discretion was the better form of valour and scarpered.
I yelled to scan, and myself and my loader both dropped like rocks. As for what happened to my tank, it transpired that we traversed back far enough that we hit the inhibitor which prevents the gun from hitting the back deck. Unfortunately, what I didn’t know at the time was that whilst I lost sight of the guy with all the jumping around, the gunner did not (effectively a wider field of vision through the GPS than the GPSE I think) and saw the gentleman in question place the weapon on the ground. I didn’t find out about this until much later. Had I known, we’d have killed him. My gunner thought I knew. Hence my not being sure if I have a killer instinct: I think anyone else in the platoon would have shot him, but I didn’t. Then again, at the time he had the weapon, I had no doubts about commanding ‘fire’ at all.

Terrain involved some irrigation ditches, we couldn’t follow. There was a set of triple concertina wire, followed by the ditches. An attempt by myself to maneuver around the side resulted in the tank pitching forward at a horrible angle, and so we decided not to go forward. Six decides that they’re going to at least get the weapon that the guy dropped, so they get out on foot, have a tank lead and crush the wire, and so the dismount element of two captains and their driver goes out into the zone and starts hunting around for this thing. An hour later, they still haven’t found it. The terrain sucked, it wouldn’t have been too hard for the guy to push the weapon into the mud just under the surface. In the meantime, the tank that was used to crush the wire now has it wrapped around the sprocket, and so is limited in maneuverability. It then gets stuck in the ditch, listing at about a 50 degree angle, with the left track wedged in the ‘V’ at the bottom of the concrete ditch. Joy. So now we have to cut the wires, and of course, the sprocket with the wires trapped around it is the one on the threat side. Out hops the E-4 with the wire cutters. Another E-4 joins him, and I figure that I may as well stand out there too and keep ‘em company. I have to take out the bullet-proof plate in the back of my vest to work in the tank, so as I’m standing there holding the flashlight, joking around with the guys, I’m really thinking ‘please don’t shoot me in the back.. please don’t shoot me in the back…’ Considering we’re standing in the open with lights on where the bullets were flying not fifteen minutes earlier, the humour content of our chatting was pretty reasonable. Anyway, we get the wire out, the tank manages to extract itself, and it’s back home. We’re back in the tents by 0500.

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/13/2004 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Also keeping tabs on potential terrorists in the United States.
[url]http://www.anti-cair-net.org/[/url]
Link Posted: 4/13/2004 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#9]
tag
Link Posted: 4/13/2004 4:00:29 PM EDT
[#10]
tag for later
Link Posted: 4/13/2004 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#11]
TFL (tagged 4 later)
Link Posted: 4/13/2004 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#12]
TFL

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/13/2004 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#13]
VERY INTERESTING!  Thanks!!!

I just spent the last 3 hours reading through most of those and it's extremely interesting to here that it's not just our media that is corrupt.

I wonder if the Liberals, Bush haters and DUers know about these blogs??? [naughty]
Link Posted: 4/14/2004 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Added www.iraq.net
Link Posted: 4/21/2004 10:22:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/21/2004 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#16]
tag
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 10:49:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Perminent link to underreported Washington Post story about Iraq nuclear components winding up in European scrapyards, and ones that were not intended to handle radioactive waste either.

Iraqi Nuclear Gear Found in Europe

By Colum Lynch
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, April 15, 2004; Page A22

UNITED NATIONS, April 14 -- Large amounts of nuclear-related equipment, some of it contaminated, and a small number of missile engines have been smuggled out of Iraq for recycling in European scrap yards, according to the head of the United Nations' nuclear watchdog and other U.N. diplomats.

Mohammed ElBaradei, the director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency, warned the U.N. Security Council in a letter that U.N. satellite photos have detected "the extensive removal of equipment and, in some instances, removal of entire buildings" from sites that had been subject to U.N. monitoring before the U.S.-led war against Iraq.

ElBaradei said an IAEA investigation "indicates that large quantities of scrap, some of it contaminated, have been transferred out of Iraq, from sites monitored by the IAEA." He said that he has informed the United States about the discovery and is awaiting "clarification."

After the 1991 Persian Gulf War, U.N. inspectors discovered, inventoried and destroyed most of the equipment used in Iraq's nuclear weapons program. But they left large amounts of nuclear equipment and facilities in Iraq intact and "under seal," including debris from the Osirak reactor that was bombed by Israel in 1981. That debris and the buildings are radioactively contaminated.

The U.N. nuclear agency has found no evidence yet that the exported materials are being sold to arms dealers or to countries suspected of developing nuclear weapons. But ElBaradei voiced concern that the loss of the materials could pose a proliferation threat and could complicate efforts to reach a conclusive assessment of the history of Iraq's nuclear program.

"It is not clear whether the removal of these items has been the result of looting activities in the aftermath of the recent war in Iraq, or as part of systematic efforts" to clean up contaminated nuclear sites in Iraq, ElBaradei wrote. "In any event these activities may have a significant impact on the agency's continuity of knowledge of Iraq's remaining nuclear-related capabilities and raise concern with regards to the proliferation risk associated with dual use material and equipment disappearing to unknown destinations."

Richard Grenell, a spokesman for the U.S. mission to the United Nations, said, "We have seen the reports and are obviously concerned, and as we told the IAEA we are looking into the matter."

ElBaradei's letter is dated April 11 and was circulated privately this week among members of the Security Council.

Evidence of the illicit import of nuclear-related material surfaced in January after a small quantity of "yellowcake" uranium oxide was discovered in a shipment of scrap metal at Rotterdam's harbor. The company that purchased the shipment, Jewometaal, detected radioactive material in the container and informed the Dutch government, according to the Associated Press. A spokesman for the company told the news agency that a Jordanian scrap dealer who sent the shipment believed the yellowcake came from Iraq.

ElBaradei did not identify the European countries where the materials were discovered. But U.N. and European officials confirmed that IAEA inspectors traveled to Jewometaal's scrap yard to run tests on the yellowcake. The search turned up missile engines and vessels used in fermentation processes that were subject to U.N. monitoring. The U.N. Monitoring Verification and Inspection Commission informed the council about the finds in a letter, according to diplomats. The IAEA, meanwhile, ordered up satellite images to assess conditions at Iraq's former nuclear weapons sites. A senior U.N. official said they discovered that two buildings at one former site had vanished and that several scrap piles contained weapons-related materials were also missing. "In Europe, stainless steel goes for $1,500 a ton," the official said. "And that is worth transporting for the purpose of recycling."

Staff writer Joby Warrick contributed to this report.

Link Posted: 4/29/2004 11:11:34 PM EDT
[#18]
between those iraqi blogs, the double-handful of mil-bloggers in IRaq, and direct email contacts with 3 military members actually serving in IRaq, I'm getting a COMPLETELY different view of Iraq than the (Liberal) Media puts out. AP, AFP, (Al-)Reuters and JihadTV (Al Jezeera & Al Arabiya) are NOT reporting the Truth (or at Best, only reporting a very narrow negative-for-America slice of it).
Seing their reports echoed in the Times conglomerate is no better.

The other key sources to add are
CENTCOM's official site for direct news
USAid's IRaq page and ICRC's Iraq page give good info on the humanitarian situation - and a note on that - screw the small number of NGOs operating there, every one of them has a blatant anti-america bias, seeps into evertyhing they write / say.
and lastly, the Coalition Provisional Authority site itself, for what it is worth.

Link Posted: 4/29/2004 11:41:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
TFL (tagged 4 later)

Link Posted: 4/30/2004 7:22:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Also keeping tabs on potential terrorists in the United States.

www.anti-cair-net.org/

Link fixed.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 1:29:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Bump.

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Two new blogs: The Iraqi-American and
Bagdad Update
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Make it three Capt. Patti run by Capt. Patti with the 1st Brigade, 1st Armored Division and her husband who runs the site from here in the states.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:41:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Tag and to the top!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:31:26 AM EDT
[#25]
tagged
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:53:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top