Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2001 1:00:10 PM EDT

OK, when I had Win98 I could boot into Linux by using LoadLin and the resulting boot menu at startup.  Now I have WinMe and it doesn't work anymore.  Apparently WinMe changed the way Windows uses DOS.

My Question is:  Is there any way I can get my boot menu back?  Preferably looking for a free fix....
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#2]
[url]www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Loadlin+Win95-98-ME-1.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
[url]www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Loadlin+Win95-98-ME-1.html[/url]
View Quote

"Windows ME Users
Before your read any further, I should mention that this mini how-to has some limitations with Windows ME. Based on feedback from Windows ME users, the menuing system described in the next section will only work from a Windows boot floppy instead of from the hard drive."?

DAMN!

Link Posted: 5/20/2001 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I dual boot on my laptop between me & linux.  I have dedicated systems, but not this one.  You just need to set up your lilo.conf file the same as you would with win 98 and run lilo.  Lilo, in my opinion, is a better solution than loadlin anyway.  If you have issues email me.

Anthony
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I avoided the problem by installing Linux on an old drive, not the primary drive my Win Me uses, the installation still rewrote the master boot record, if you can get to your LILO you should be able to edit it, sorry i'm a newbie to Linux too, this ain't much help...
View Quote

Duffypoo,
I can't use LiLo because my Linux partition doesn't reside within the first 1024 cylinders of the drive it's installed on.
[:(!]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top