Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2001 9:46:51 PM EDT
My father died tonight.  He was a hero in my eyes.  A veteran of World War Two.  A B-17 mechanic in England for the duration of the war.  He said that the most scariest time, besides dodging bombs most of the war, was when they were coming home from England in the B-17, and the pilot warned them that they were running low on fuel and should prepare to bail out.  He was the only one that could not find his parachute.  Luckly, the B-17 came through, as they did all of the war, and he got home safely.

He was to be transfered to the B-29 group, and train for B-29 deployment in the Pacific.  My dad said he just knew if he went to the Pacific theater he would not make it home.  The A-Bomb was dropped on Japan.  My dad never had to go to the Pacific.  Because of that I am here.

I was able to meet the bombadier of the Enola Gay a year ago and passed this story on to him.  We shook hands, and I thanked him for being there for my dad.

I loved my dad alot.  My dad will be missed.

Ruel P. Nester 1921-2001
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#1]
My condolences. He was a hero, now you will have to take his place someday or prepare your offsprings, never let him be forgotten.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 9:51:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 9:52:30 PM EDT
[#3]
We're sorry to hear of your loss. Please accept best wishes and condolences from my family and myself.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#4]
My heartfelt condolences, doc. I lost my dad almost three years ago when he had a heart attack out of the blue. Since I was out of town on business that weekend, I never got to say good-bye. I still miss him a lot, but I thank God I've got a lifetime of memories and that he'll never be forgotten by all who knew him. I'm sure you'll feel the same way.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 10:22:30 PM EDT
[#5]
My condolences.  I know how you feel.  My dad died back in January.  I missed him a lot.  My children have NEVER seen a baby sitter except my mom & dad.  My dad would pick them up at school and bring them to his house where I would pick them up after work.  Also my mom would have dinner ready.  I owe my parents a debt of gratitude that I can not even begin to pay.  But I explain to my children that life is like a plant, first you start growing in spring, you sprout your seeds in summer, start going down in autumn, and you die in winter.  It is all part of life.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Once again, the circle closes, and we few remember the unsung heroes of our time.  Please accept my hearfelt condolences on your loss, and gratitude to your grandfather for his service.  I hope his spirit will live on in the generations to come...

MSG J D Kelley, USAF
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 10:35:20 PM EDT
[#7]
IMHO, this is why we need a W.W. II memorial.  People like your father served his country with dignity and pride, and deserve recognition.  Your father was a hero:  his actions are appreciated, but more importantly to you and your family, his presence will be missed.

Just don't let his legacy pass in vain.  Tell your kids about him, what he did, and who he was, so that they may be humbled and enlightened, and become better people because of it.  We're not all "designed" to be soldiers, but we can and SHOULD learn from their courage.

God be with you and your family.
Chris~
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 11:05:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I am sorry sir.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 11:12:49 PM EDT
[#9]
The people on the shore watched as the ship sailed into the horizon, and, as the mast finally disappeared they said, "there she goes..."

The people on the other side watched as the mast sailed toward them, and, as the ship came into view, they exclaimed, "here she comes!"

I heard this at the funeral for my best friends' father, and I never forgot it.  It is the best way for me to think of how we pass from one view to another, without it being sad, but, rather a great thing to do.  To me, it means that Life does go on.  
Via con Dios, Amigo.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 11:18:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry to hear that
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 11:30:17 PM EDT
[#11]
My most heart fealt condolences. I am lucky, as are you, that I have parents that I love without reservation. My brother said at my mom's funeral that she was proof that God was real since she was obviously an angel. Your father is going someplace better. I want to thank him for his service to this country and freedom. God has just added greatly to Heaven.
In your time of grief, know that.

[u]A TOAST TO MR. NESTER[/u]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 1:51:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Please accept my deepest sympathies.

My dad was a WWII veteran as well. He spent over 3 years as a combat engineer in north Africa and Europe.

There is a national committee for the erection of a world war II monument. You can make a donation, and when the monument is built your dad's name will be included.

I believe the US is the only nation to participate in WWII and NOT have a national monument honoring the men and women who served.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 1:55:21 AM EDT
[#13]
My condolences.  
My father was a Marine on Iwo Jima, my wife's father, Naval Armed Guard...they're both gone.  We are all diminished.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 4:34:50 AM EDT
[#14]
doctorfireant, sorry to hear about your father. It sounds like he lived a long and eventful life. Your father is a member of a dying breed and we all owe a debt of gratitude to men such as he.

My father lost some good friends as the result of the air war over Europe. Those guys had a lot of guts -- the odds were against them. The fact he made it back is a blessing in itself.

I wish you and your family well.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 4:59:42 AM EDT
[#15]
My condolences and God bless.

God,Guns & Guts made this country free. Glad to know your father had all three on his side.
I thank him with all my heart!
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:00:47 AM EDT
[#16]
The link is to the WWII national memorial site.[url]www.wwiimemorial.com/index.htm[/url]

Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:09:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:41:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I am very sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:56:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 6:15:50 AM EDT
[#20]

God Bless    [:(]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 6:37:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 6:44:33 AM EDT
[#22]
My condolences, and God bless.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Thank you for all of you generous comments!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#24]
doctorfireant: I am sorry to hear about your father. We will include him and your family in our prayers.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 2:46:49 PM EDT
[#25]
My family will keep you and your family in our prayers.

My condolences!
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#26]
My father passed away in October of last year and spent a couple of years in combat in the South Pacific. About 1,000 WW2 veterans are dying each day and this nation needs to mourn/ honor them. We do need a monument. My prayers and thoughts are with you in this difficult time, not a day goes by that I do not think of my father. My condolences to you and your family.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Sorry for your loss.God bless.
Jeff
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#28]
There's nothing I can say that would take away the pain of your loss, but please know you have my most sincere condolences.

Your dad truly sounded like one of the heros of our greatest generation. I wish I could have had some time talking with him myself.

Stay strong. M4
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#30]
 My condolences to you and your famly. Your dad will always live in your mind and in your heart.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#31]
doctorfireant -

We who have parents that were a part of "The Greatest Generation" are better people today because of the greatness that they displayed while they were here.

I am sincerely sorry for your personal loss and this great country's loss as well.

My father was a paratrooper during WWII and he witnessed the aftermath of the bombs that were dropped on Japan.  He was convinced for the rest of his life that this was a life saving move.  He only lived until 1969.  He was very concerned about the war in Vietnam and was angry about the lack of support displayed for those who were fighting there.

Sometimes I consider it God's mercy that he did not live to see the outcome of Vietnam or to sit at home waiting while his son served there.  And in particular he does not have to witness what is happening to America today and what tomorrow may bring for our freedoms.  Your father is now spared that as well.  He is able to leave this life with this great nation and her liberty still intact.  You and I do not know if we will enjoy that same exit.

God bless you and your family as you look ahead.  Our prayers are certainly with you!

May I also say here publicly a heartfelt thank you to your father and his fellow Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Airmen, and Coast Guardsmen who have served this great nation with their efforts to keep her free!  I salute them!

[sniper]
[b]The Sniper  
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#32]
The Sniper... Well said!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#33]
My Dad passed when I was 8, and I never really got to know him.  
 My wife's father passed on 3 Nov 00.  WWll 42nd Inf., CIB.  Two weeks to the day later, my uncle who raised me, Korea, USAAF, later USAF, flightline mechanic on F-51s, passed also.
 Both heroes, both quiet about it, modest to a fault.   I can only add a few paraphrased quotes:  "There, on the plains of Europe, lived MEN. And in a day when real men are a rarity.." it was indeed an honor to know them both.  "The world will little note or long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here..."   Our sincere condolences, and I hope that you were able to find an honor guard to fire a salute over his grave.
 We dedicated a memorial marker for my wife's dad in the orchard that he planted for us.  It is fitting that we remember these modest heroes in the places of the people they loved.
 Our most sincere condolences to you, and our salute to your dad.  Our heavenly Father has a shady spot on the riverbank in Paradise for these brave men.  God bless you, and be with you in your bereavement.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#34]
drfireant -

i know exactly what you are going thru.  i lost my father a year and a half ago and it takes about 6 months for the 'vail' to lift so to speak.  just know he is in a better place.  my dad was a ww2 vet also, army signal corps (though later i did discover he did contract work for the oss/cia from 1937 to 1962).  this may sound strange - but i am absolutely convinced his spirit hung around for a while before going on.

with any luck in a few weeks - you will get this feeling of comfort in your heart from him, telling you that 'it's going to be ok'

all the best and my condolences

steve
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:34:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Please accept my sincere condolences for your loss as well as my gratitude to your father for his service to our country.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Sorry for your loss DC. a lot of these men are passing away each and every day. They fought a war like WWII; I cannot even imagine how we won this war with the equipment we had(Sherman tank for example with a very bad gun)but when I think of back then these men had guts; this is what it took to win a war like this is pure guts. Its hard to see men these days with the guts and courage it takes to win.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Sorry to hear that.  You will be in my prayers.  Brandon
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#38]
My condolences.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#39]
I truly sorry for your loss.
My Pop was recently diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor and we have about a year.
I truley can't imagine life without him. He is my pard and mentor, besides my pop.
Once again I'm very sorry for you and yours
Scratch
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 7:28:20 PM EDT
[#40]
This thread brought a lot to the front.

My own dad died while I was on a backpacking trip during my college years.  He was an AAF airframe mechanic and came down with rheumatic fever at a base down in Georgia(?) called Chanute Field.  Like someone else mentioned here, he just dropped one day in the rain at work from a heart attack.  Uncle Sam gave him a brass marker that gets covered with dirt washing down the hill from the rain.

I sometimes pass a military cemetary and you can't be unaffected by seeing those fields of white crosses.  Unless, that is, you have no heart or sense of the circumstances.

Unfortunately, there are now generations of young people, some of whom can't tell you much of anything about Vietnam, Korea, or WWII, and have nothing in their heart for those fallen vets.

We owe it to our fathers to keep their memories alive in history and in the hearts of us and our children.

PRK
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#41]
We are lucky if we become half the men our fathers are/were.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 12:23:17 AM EDT
[#42]
I lost my father in October, 1999.  He fought in Korea and Vietnam, and retired from the military with 26 years of service.

I've posted a memorial to him on this veterans website:

http://www.behindthebadge.net/bloodstripes/memory/mem.html

All veterans of those wars look to the time that they can rest, and be with those that didn't make it.  Know that he's in a better place now ....

Chris

Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:10:27 AM EDT
[#43]
My condolences and prayers to you and to your family. Thank you, thanks to your family and most of all thanks to your dad. God bless all veterans.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:38:07 AM EDT
[#44]
My father has cancer and will be gone in a couple of months.......I love him dearly and I know the feeling of your broken heart...............my prayers to you and your family
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 10:15:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Thanks again for all of your kind replies!
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#46]
doctorfireant - I know what you are going through, as my own dad passed away on 10 May 2001, and we buried him on the 14th at Ft. Sam.  I know how much it hurts, and I want to pass my deapest condolences to you and your family.  You should be very proud of your dad, he sounds like he was a great man.

My father was in the Army for 26 years, and he served in Korea and Vietnam.  He was a Ranger, in MI and in Avation.  He was a hero to all that knew him.  And he never complained, even when he suffered for 20 months with cancer caused by agent orange.  He is at peace, and is no longer in pain.  

Striker - I read "Just a Simple Soldier" at the end of the eulogy that I gave my dad.  Almost all of Dad's VFW buddies came by and thanked me for reading it.  Just about all of them wanted a copy as well.  It's a wonderful tribute to all the vets that have died in defense of our great nation.  God Bless them all!

Link Posted: 5/21/2001 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top