#3 squirrel

#4 deer

#5 ?
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 1:57:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes to #5
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I couldn't say unless I was in the situation but I do know I rolled a possum about 6 months ago and I still feel bad. [:(]
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#3]
#1 no
#2 no
#3 no
#4 it will wreck your car if you hit it.
#5 would avoid a human if I knew and liked them.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#4]
#1 SPEED UP!!

#2 SPEED UP EVEN FASTER!

#3 EVEN FASTER! (DAMN SQUIRRELS!)

#4 HEHEHEH SEE #2

#5 OH HELL YEAH HEHEH
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#5]
#1----I would try to avoid it but not risk injury to myself or family in car. If need be I would make a road pizza out of "Fluffy".
#2----Same as above with more trying not to hit it...
#3----The Squirrel is done fore sure...I might even speed up if I see him....
#4----A deer is going to do some major damage to my hood, so I would try to avoid hitting a deer but not if I was going to hit another car or a tree first.
#5----Lets make #5 a small child chasing a ball....I would wreck my car before hitting a kid.

John[heavy]
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Much as I hate cats even...and I really hate freakin' cats I try to not run over anything other than democrats, liberals and yankees. I figure if it needs to be killed it deserves to be killed humanly. On the other hand I am not going to wreck a car simply to avoid running over something.
Risking wrecking one to run over one of the afore mentioned democrats, liberals or yankees may, however, be worth the risk involved.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Was following some yuppie in his SUV yesterday when out of nowhere he just about went sideways in the road---then i saw the squirrel scamper off....Dick
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#8]
No to all. I have been to the ER from an auto accident.  Not fun at all.  Spent a month on my back in the hospital.

I have hit 7 deer over the years.  Deerstrike is very common here in Georgia.

A couple of weeks ago, we had a dimwit in Atlanta decide to stop in the middle of one of the interstates to rescue a stray dog.  Sure enough, he was rearended and caused a major accident.  All over a stray dog...

Link Posted: 5/19/2001 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#9]
where I used to live in northern ca. it was a rural area in the mountains with winding roads.
 about twice a year you would see in the local paper a plea that it is better that you run over a squirrel than total your car as a few folks were doing.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Kiss my yankee ass.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 2:41:19 PM EDT
[#11]
#5 Horse the worst thing that could happen to me is to hurt a horse. I would rather buy the farm myself then to kill a horse.

#2 Dogs I would really try to avoid hurting a dog if it was at all possible, but I would not sacrifice myself or family.

As to the rest I would try my best to avoid hitting cats, squirrels and deer, and lets not forget people, the paperwork involved if you hit a person is too much for me to want to get involved in so I will avoid hitting people.

Gunslinger,

Hitting Liberals, Yes; Democrats, Maybe; but Yankees, come on now all of us Yankees are not bad plus it is not our fault we were born Yankees and as to that Civil War some of us Yankees feel that you Confederates were in the right and Lincoln was not even fit to kiss a dog on the rear. If I could I would live in the south or even in the greatest state Texas. We all can't be born lucky and be born a Southerner or Texan.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 2:49:25 PM EDT
[#12]
1.No
2.No
3.No
4. Have a super duty brush guard just for this. No.
5.No.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#13]
No,No,No,No, probably not.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 3:42:04 PM EDT
[#14]
1.No
2.No
3.No
4.No (most likely gonna wreck your car)
5.?

I would wreck my car to keep from hitting a person. Mainly because people can hire an attorney. It'll always be cheaper wrecking the car. Just ask Druce.

When learning to drive my father taught me when something runs out in front of the car you just hold the steering wheel a little tighter.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Prarie dog .. standing there in the road with the bottom of a beer bottle in its paws egging me on ...
Ted...
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#16]
hard to say, somtimes you just react, somtimes you dont.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#17]
#4-yes
The rest I have bad news for.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#18]
If #5=Cow, yes.
A buddy of mine T-boned a cow in a CJ5. Ejected him and he got a piece of splined shaft through his back. Jeep died immediatly, cow died several minutes later.

BMB  
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#19]
What the hel are you talking about? I've went out of my way to hit all of those things. Yes, I have even hit a person (not on purpose). It was actually one of my good friends he was riding on the hood and slid off the front while I was doing about 25 mph. Being a kid makes you stupid.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Sometime before my 'vette became a total loss
due to it getting smacked from behind by an Audi, I ran over a racoon on the highway by accident.
It tore off the front spoiler and I had to
pick coon hair off of the well oiled K&N
air filter.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd do whatever I could to avoid hitting any animal.

Link Posted: 5/19/2001 9:14:38 PM EDT
[#23]
If the gossip I heard is right, there are two people in my town of 3000 that are now paralyzed for trying to evade some raccoons and a dog. Both separate accidents.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Hell NO.  4X4 AND HAMMER DOWN.  ATF
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 9:42:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 1:53:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 2:31:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Damned dogs running out in front of cars, nearly killed two friends of mine who were coming home from a party they had been at.

Two gals in a Ford Bronco II driving about 70mph down a two lane road coming back into town when a dog runs out into the road in front of them, they swerve rather than try to lay on the brakes and just steer straight.   Well they swerved right into a freshly plowed farm field, that Bronco rolled about 3-4 times and beat the heck out of the two girls where one girl almost lost two of her fingers when her hand went out the window and the other girl had a minor concussion.

When I was younger and learning to drive I always figured that the only instance where I'm gonna swerve is for people or objects bigger than deer sized.   Everything else is gonna be in deep crap if it runs out in front of me because I've tried as much as possible to mentally prepare for not flinching or over reacting, me or a dog?   It's gonna be the dog no questions asked.

I'll answer it like this as if I'd just hit the animal after having not swerved:

#1 cat, I'd feel bad because I like cats, worse if it was a pet

#2 dog, would feel about as bad as if hitting a cat, equally bad if it was a pet

#3 squirrel, wouldn't flinch or bat an eye at it

#4 deer, would feel pretty damned bad about it

#5 ?, can't really say depends on the object as this is the one instance where I'd likely swerve depending on size and if there is room
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 2:58:49 AM EDT
[#28]
My confirmed kill list includes:1 deer,5 squirrels,1 dog and a couple of birds.I should make "Double Ace" anytime now [:D] [smash]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:19:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Damned dogs running out in front of cars, nearly killed two friends of mine who were coming home from a party they had been at.

Two gals in a Ford Bronco II driving about 70mph down a two lane road coming back into town when a dog runs out into the road in front of them, they swerve rather than try to lay on the brakes and just steer straight.
View Quote

Um... could the reaction of the driver have been affected by the fact that they were driving [b]70mph[/b] and were coming back from a party?  Late at night?  Possibly drinking?  

I grew up and still live in the country and if the road they were driving on was anything like the ones we have around here, 70mph would [i]never[/i] be appropriate.

I [i]could[/i] be wrong about this.... I think I was wrong once before.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:53:56 AM EDT
[#30]
no
no
no
no
no

Hmmmmmmmm lets see go off the road to avoid wrecking your car. See it all the time people  trying to avoid deer, usually wins you a trip to the hospital and oops the car is wrecked anyway. If it is big get on the breaks but stay on the road.  If it is small just stay on the road.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 6:01:33 AM EDT
[#31]
On my second day of driving with my driver's ed instructor, we had a choice: Two pigeons, the Mercedes coming the other way, or going into the bay (we were on the perimeter road of a peninsula).  He just said 'take 'em' and after i finished there was just a cloud of feathers. Of course, when he taught the next class, he drew two pigeons on the board and put a big red X thru each one.  The one girl in the class never left me alone after that. Havent braked for small wild animals since.  Deer and dogs are another matter.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 6:26:11 AM EDT
[#32]
#5 Horse the worst thing that could happen to me is to hurt a horse. I would rather buy the farm myself then to kill a horse
View Quote

Almost hit a horse one night.  Dumb sumbitch didn't even flinch.  Just stood there in the middle of the road as I swerved around him at 65mph.

I had to pick coon hair off of the well oiled K&N air filter
View Quote

Don't you hate it when that happens?

I always try to avoid hitting critters in the road, but I'll be damned if I'm wrecking my new truck for it.  I hit a dog once, and two 'coons at the same time, and a squirrel that got away (didn't kill him - he just went for a thrilling ride under the truck).  Broke a dog's leg a few weeks ago and felt pretty bad about it, but he just stuck it under my tire while he was chasing along side of me.  

When I'm in deer county, I slow down considerably which has saved deer and my truck a time or two.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 6:27:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
"I need a bambulance!  I'm here in this m-f-ing phone booth..."

-Troy
View Quote

LOL  [url]http://www.sonic.net/rack/deer.ram[/url]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Well lets see. Once I was going down a 4 lane & came around a bend doin about 60 & there was a whole family of coons in the road. I got both adults & all 4 babies.

An X girlfriend had a cat that bit me one day. I told her I was goin to kill that damn cat if she didn't get it away from me. Sure as shit I was drivin by her house about a week later & the damn thing ran out in the middle of the road. Poor Kitty.

Hmmm One deer. Too many groundhogs & opossums(sp?) to count. Not even sure about things smaller than that. :) No Dogs yet though.

[kill]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 9:14:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well lets see. Once I was going down a 4 lane & came around a bend doin about 60 & there was a whole family of coons in the road. I got both adults & all 4 babies.
View Quote

Damn, Medic...  At least I had the courtesy to miss the rest of the family.  There were 4 or 5 in the bunch.  Guess I didn't swerve enough.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#36]
LOL I didn't have much choice in the matter really. Kinda weird feelin them bounce off your feet through the floorboards.....   hehehe
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#37]
#1 I'll hit, but feel bad, I have two myself.
#2 I'll hit, but feel bad.
#3 MMMM squirrel stew
#4 I avoided contact with a deer once by White Sands Missle Range. I was going about 95mph and just changed lanes, not exactly evasive action.

I hit a number of pigeons, one cat and an armadillo. The armadillo was like running over a big rock.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#38]
I got out of the car and moved a turtle out of the way yesterday.  I feel like a sap about it.  I was on the way to the range and just didn't see the point of killing it.  The damn thing wouldn't get out of the way.  When I got out of the car it went into its shell.  I picked it up and water came out.  It was gone when I left the range.

I feel like a sap.

Anthony
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Hell, I have almost wrecked TRYING to hit 1,2,3.

Deer will do a lot less dammage then hitting a tree, telephonepole or rolling it over.  The only things I brake for are blondes and brunettes.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I feel like a sap.

Anthony
View Quote

Well [i]I[/i] think you're pretty cool for doing that! [:D]  

I've stopped twice to move turtles from the road... one I had to chase down, put in the trunk of my car and take to muster with me!  My LPO got a kick out of it... we kept him in a cadillac all day until I could release him in an out of the way pond later that day.

As for those of you who enjoy running down  animals (and I'm talking intentionally)...   [:(!]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#42]
WTF happened next. Don't do that to us man......
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm pretty confident I could get off a good shot to avoid killing them with my vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top