Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2020 10:24:05 AM EDT
There has been quite a bit of discussion about armor lately.  Would be interesting and informative to hear from first hand accounts of what happens.

How nasty is it?  How disabled is the average person after taking a round?

IF you have been in this scenario, either shot yourself or tended to someone who was?  What happened?  What type of armor?  What was the weapon used?

Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Little brother was shot in the iotv exiting a striker in Iraq.

Broke his leg.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:31:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I know a number of people who were shot wearing armor. Some were able to keep going with little problem (sometimes because of adrenaline). Others were knocked out of the fight.

It's a little like voodoo. It depends on the quality of the armor, caliber, distance, angle of strike, physique of the person wearing it, and on and on. Everyone I know who took a hit (or more than one) in the armor survived.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Have a buddy who got pegged in the chest plate while he was jerking off on a guard post in Iraq.

He said it felt like getting kicked in the chest. He also said it completely ruined his evening plans.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#4]
As a medic I treated an LEO who took two 9mm to his vest from close range.

Didn’t penetrate but ended up with 2 broken ribs and one hell of a bruise.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have a buddy who got pegged in the chest plate while he was jerking off on a guard post in Iraq.

He said it felt like getting kicked in the chest. He also said it completely ruined his evening plans.
View Quote

Bravo, sir!
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Big difference between soft armor and plates.  

Getting hit in a chest plate isn't going to knock you on your ass, but you reaction to it might.  Spall off steel plates might fuck you up.

If, with 1980s plates, a guy can take two 7.62x51mm rounds standing on one foot, nothing in terms of common firearms is going to really impair someone's ability to fight when stopped by a plate.  There's a video somewhere with a 12ga slug too.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:38:41 AM EDT
[#7]

I have pictures somewhere , was shot in the back with an AK no clue on distance. Knocked the wind out of me and left one hell of a bruise. The esapi and soft armor backing did its job.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
As a medic I treated an LEO who took two 9mm to his vest from close range.

Didn't penetrate but ended up with 2 broken ribs and one hell of a bruise.
View Quote
Soft armor does that.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Big difference between soft armor and plates.  

Getting hit in a chest plate isn't going to knock you on your ass, but you reaction to it might.  Spall off steel plates might fuck you up.

If, with 1980s plates, a guy can take two 7.62x51mm rounds standing on one foot, nothing in terms of common firearms is going to really impair someone's ability to fight when stopped by a plate.  There's a video somewhere with a 12ga slug too.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMyFeaijWlo
View Quote
I think about that video all the time. I've shot some of my old armor and it stopped it but I'm not voluntarily suiting up and taking 7.62 nato. Ballsy, stupid but ballsy.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:43:19 AM EDT
[#10]
The snackbar was closed bitch!

Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:46:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Googd podcast about being shot 27 times.

Mike Drop Podcast: Episode 54 - Mike Day
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I've known two people well who got shot while wearing a vest.

One by a .22, he said it felt like a bee sting, and it was on video, and you could see him reaching inside his vest and rubbing it.

The other was shot in the chest by a 9mm (it hit his badge, hanging from his neck, too).  He said it felt like getting punched really hard.

Neither one went down, or was out of action.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 11:01:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I didn't get shot, but id say the LB/ft of energy delivered to my vest was WAY above that from a 12 gauge. no bruise where the vest was covering my back.  (posted this before)

I fell 5 feet and landed on a square steel catch basin that was about 3/8th inch thick , it went across by back at an angle starting about right hip up and across to left lower ribs. I was wearing my issues iiia vest in an internal carrier under my shirt. I bruised my left kidney badly.

When I was laying on the deck of the boat all I could think was I can’t feel anything below where I’ve been impaled by the boat.  I thought I had been stabbed/impaled on something and it was sticking out of my back. Coworker was like "OH SHIT, when he saw my back(which didn't help..), turns out that id taken red paint from the catch basin and embedded it in my shirt.  Never broke skin. I was in great pain due to the kidney that had been hit, worse than a kidney stone, I drove my self to hospital with a 5.5MM kidney stone stuck in the tube, this was worse and made me non functional.  Ambulance was called. When I got to the ER the X-ray showed no spine damage and I was taken off the backboard. Kidney damage was just bruised.  My back had a line bruise from lower right hip to just where my vest started about an inch from where my spine was.

They tell you in training that the vests help with car accidnets and falls too.

2 weeks in bed on serious pain pills and muscle relaxers, i don't really remember the 2 weeks.

Link Posted: 6/30/2020 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I’ve had a few friends get shot but they were all wearing hard plates. They all said they were knocked down and it felt like getting hit with a bat or kicked in the chest. I haven’t been shot yet so I can’t tell ya myself. I can say I’ve worked on penetrating wounds and I’d much rather have armor than not.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#15]
IIA Soft armor. .380 point blank in the chest. Intentional cause I pulled the attacker's gun to my vest since we were in a crowded club. Cracked a rib. Didn't knock me on my ass, but the combo of the impact, muzzle blast, and fighting with the dude for the gun wrecked my brain. I usually tell people I took him to the ground after getting shot and subdued him, but really I think I basically had a death-grip on his hands and gun and simply fell on top of him until I brain rebooted.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I took two rounds of 9mm gold dot to the chest while wearing a vest, it hurt like a bitch and the bruising was insane, but I drew a pistol and shot two rounds between his legs and sunk his canoe before he found fire off a third shot.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
IIA Soft armor. .380 point blank in the chest. Intentional cause I pulled the attacker's gun to my vest since we were in a crowded club. Cracked a rib. Didn't knock me on my ass, but the combo of the impact, muzzle blast, and fighting with the dude for the gun wrecked my brain. I usually tell people I took him to the ground after getting shot and subdued him, but really I think I basically had a death-grip on his hands and gun and simply fell on top of him until I brain rebooted.
View Quote

Whatever gets the job done.

Did he get some amateur rhinoplasty afterward?

Link Posted: 6/30/2020 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I took two rounds of 9mm gold dot to the chest while wearing a vest, it hurt like a bitch and the bruising was insane, but I drew a pistol and shot two rounds between his legs and sunk his canoe before he found fire off a third shot.
View Quote

I was right there with you till the word canoe. Now I need the full story.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I know a few. “Hurts a lot” but that’s about it.

Not a single one of them was an 80’s training video.

Link Posted: 6/30/2020 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#20]
A buddy of mine took a round right on the corner of his E-SAPI plate while flying a PAVEHAWK in Afghanistan. It saved his life. He was wearing soft armor underneath as well.

One of our passengers took a machine gun round to the edge of his Kevlar just above the ear. He lived but got a massive contusion. The thin skin of the C23 did little to slow it down.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 12:03:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

literally jerking off?
I’m thinking if that was timed just right it.........
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I was right there with you till the word canoe. Now I need the full story.
View Quote

I was repoing a boat on lake havaso, I had paddled over in a canoe and I left it on the dock when I got in the bank’s boat and headed for the boat ramp.

ETA: I must have been rattled pretty good, I put two shots into the boat between his legs, when I was aiming for his dick.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Took two 9mm to a safariland vest some years ago.  Like getting kicked in the chest, bruised a little bit, but otherwise non-debilitating.

I wouldn't do it again.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 12:12:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Friend of mine on his first tour in the 'stan took an AK round to the chest plate while on patrol. He had no reaction time and best guess was it was fired from about 50 yards away and caught the lower part of the plate. Lots of brusing and said it winded him pretty good. The offender was ushered to the great Snackbar in the Sky.

Another friend, also in the sandbox, got shot TWICE and didnt realize it until someone pointed out to him that his PC had holes in it. As the story goes, they had just walked into a toilet bowl ambush, so Im sure the adrenaline dump from being fired on from all sides was massive.

Third friend, LEO plainclothes wearing soft armor was fired at by a perp with a 9mm. Took one slightly to left of sternum. Perp got deaded but he said he didnt realize he was shot until after when he couldnt breathe because it had winded him, and then had a massive panic moment. Bruising and cracked ribs had him sidelined for a good bit.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#25]
We had a patient in the ER that had been shot at point blank range in the lower left abdomen with a 9mm. He was wearing 3A soft armor, and while it stopped the bullet, it made a gigantic bruise and a wound that was about 2 inches across and about 1/4 inch deep. Like a very concentrated abrasion. He was lucky as fuck, but he was still going to be a hurtin' unit for a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Read a book by a Vietnam helo pilot, Chickenhawk? He got shot in the chest with two 7.62x39mm rounds through the windscreen of his Huey at close range. His ceramic plate stopped them. He said it left a dinner plate sized bruise on his chest and it hurt so bad he could not even wear a t-shirt for days, just the weight of the fabric was painful.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 12:26:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#28]
This guy doesn't seem phased by .308

I wonder if you take more of an impact with ceramic plates vs steel when there is a stop (even though ceramic is more likely to actually stop it)
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#29]
When I was a military game warden, I was shot twice in the torso by an asshole with a .22.

I was wearing soft armor at the time. 1 round hit me about 3" above my navel, the other just below my breastbone. Both left bruises about 3" in diameter; the 1 below my breastbone hurt like hell.

Link Posted: 6/30/2020 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Combat jack?
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 10:39:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Bumping this so I can catch up later
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top