Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/16/2020 10:09:44 PM EDT
I have a f 150 with an 8 ft bed and a tonneau cover (the soft roll up kind). I drove from TX to NC this past weekend for vacation with my family. I ended up pulling over in a Walmart parking lot and napped for an hour or two early that morning in the cab. It was a bit uncomfortable to say the least trying to share the seat with a dog. I really want to get more sleep on the way back. I brought my camping gear. Has anyone tried sleeping under the cover before? I imagine it’ll be a bit coffin like, I’m figuring on rolling the cover all the way out, but not locking it down. That way if I need to sit up or get out quickly I can. If anyone has any experience I’d love to hear it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Try not to fart
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:13:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep. thermarest pad under a Extang tri fold. I crack the fold nearest the tailgate with a piece of pvc open 3" or so. works fine for airflow. put your head nearest the tailgate.

works well when you're lazy and dont want to throw up a shelter.

eta: 6'4" bed. I have to sleep at a bit of an angle but it works. if you have a spray in liner with lots of sandy traction definitly use a pad or something to offset the abrasiveness.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try not to fart
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I have. You better have some sort of pad to put down, that corrugated bed floor is a bitch.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#5]
FPNI and its more room than a bivy
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:14:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you ever heard of a hotel?

Who takes their family on a vacation and sleeps in the vehicle?
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:14:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Works great if you leave it cracked and have some padding
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:14:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Coffin sounds like a good comparison. I'm not usually claustrophobic, but no thanks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:14:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I slept for six hours at a rest area under my hard cover one time on a long trip after a long day. It was chilly out and I had my 20 degree bag and a pillow on top of a camp rest pad. I just climbed in and pulled the cover down. Slept like a baby. No worse than some of the bunks I sleep on while out on the ocean in semi-small boats.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Not the smartest idea I ever heard of, but if you're in an area where you don't want to be sleeping in your passenger seat or back seat, you do what you have to do. Probably want a blanket and pillow back there at the least, and maybe a second key to make sure you can get out just in case.

Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have. You better have some sort of pad to put down, that corrugated bed floor is a bitch.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hotels can be a lot of money for some people.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:18:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I've done it in 20 degree weather on an inflatable mattress pad beneath a hard plastic (Undercover) tonneau a few times.  Totally comfortable, but there's room to sleep, and that's it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:18:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Get a thermarest pad.  Air mattress will be too tall and the thermarest are just as good.  Watch out for bums.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#15]
The new Chevys have insanely high bed walls. That probably would help for sleeping down there.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I took this to mean he and his dog drove to meet up with other family members.  I don't think he's asking about bunking with the wife and 4 kids.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Make sure you have plenty of air, those tonneau's work like a magnifying glass as soon as the Sun hits them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Make sure you have plenty of air, those tonneau's work like a magnifying glass as soon as the Sun hits them.
View Quote

Check-out time is 11?
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m a young single male. I drove to meet my family at the beach. It was just me and the pup in the truck. I don’t want a hotel room cause I’ll only pull over for 5 hours at the absolute most.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:22:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Did it once when too drunk to drive. People look at you kinda funny when you flip up the top and stumble out to go take a piss.

But I was comfortable. I should not the bed of this particular truck was carpeted.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Can't you just drop the tailgate?

This way, when you're bivi'd in the Walmart parking lot, you can loudly whisper, "Nice ass" when women are walking by.

But then again, it's Walmart, so you might be waiting a while, so as others have said, make sure you've got a good sleeping pad.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:23:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've done it in 20 degree weather on an inflatable mattress pad beneath a hard plastic (Undercover) tonneau a few times.  Totally comfortable, but there's room to sleep, and that's it.
View Quote

How long did that mattress stay inflated at 20 degree weather ?
When I used to go winter camping the first lesson I learned was NOT to bring anything inflatable.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:24:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree.  That box can heat up like an oven when the sun comes out.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’ll probably be midnight or so when I stop so that shouldn’t be an issue.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Can you get a cheap camper shell for the truck? Fuck that. I get claustrophobic especially when sleeping. Could not do that
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

When I used to go winter camping the first lesson I learned was NOT to bring anything inflatable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've used inflatable Thermarests down to -17ºF without any problems.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Sounds like a real condensation fest.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:26:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Knock off, thicker Therma-Rest.  No problems.

I did forget a pad while boat camping and ended up sleeping on a dozen rolls of paper towels once.  Cannot recommend.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Can you get a cheap camper shell for the truck? Fuck that. I get claustrophobic especially when sleeping. Could not do that
View Quote

Camper shell is definitely the end goal. I’ll probably post some pics here somewhere next spring when I’m working on my camping rig.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:28:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I have done it.

Mine was a fiberglass tonneau not cloth though.

It was not bad at all. I just wedged a jacket in there to keep it from shutting all the way on me and to let some air in.
It stormed and everything I was comfy and dry.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:29:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Did it once when too drunk to drive. People look at you kinda funny when you flip up the top and stumble out to go take a piss.

But I was comfortable. I should not the bed of this particular truck was carpeted.
View Quote

Quoted:
Can't you just drop the tailgate?

This way, when you're bivi'd in the Walmart parking lot, you can loudly whisper, "Nice ass" when women are walking by.

But then again, it's Walmart, so you might be waiting a while, so as others have said, make sure you've got a good sleeping pad.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:33:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a camper on my truck I also have the bed mat/foam that’s made for the bed and gets rid of the bumps I have taken some seriously good naps back there during lunch breaks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:37:26 PM EDT
[#33]
I used to sleep in my truck bed a lot, both with a shell and without, never a tonneau cover.

I preceded to sleep without the shell.

Is open air sleeping in it not gonna work?

Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Always took roll up foam padding, anything below -10F and we wound up in our trucks (FJ-40's) with them running and the rear heaters on.
Not enough room in the back to make a bed so we roughed it out in the seats.
Gave up Winter camping shortly after that, it's one thing to crawl out of a tent in below zero to take a piss with a warm woman to get comfortable with.
Totally different with a forced freezing yoga class that never ends in the front seats of a Landcruiser.

The 4 hour drive out without earpro was enough to convince me never to do it again.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:39:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The new Chevys have insanely high bed walls. That probably would help for sleeping down there.
View Quote

Actually, the deeper bed & higher the wall the better.

You don't want to set up a air mattress and then find yourself nose to tonneau cover.

I'd always want as much head room - vertical space as I can get.

I'd lay a piece of plywood in the bed to give you a flat surface, then run a simple Wal-mart or Academy air mattress (queen fits great), then just lay down a pillow & throw a sheet and you are ready to rest.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:39:47 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a tent that is made for the back of my truck. It takes about 10 min to setup and it is pretty comfy. If you have the SuperCrew 4 door type truck they make an air mattress that goes on top of the rear seats and between the front seat area.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:43:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I used to sleep in my truck bed a lot, both with a shell and without, never a tonneau cover.

I preceded to sleep without the shell.

Is open air sleeping in it not gonna work?

View Quote

Open air would work, I’m just looking for a bit more privacy from the crackheads. Between the pup and my toys I’m not worried about anything, I’d just rather avoid any 2am interactions.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#38]
I've camped out of the back of the truck under the tri fold cover.  6 foot bed, as mentioned before, put a pad down.

Wasn't worried about stealth, so I left the tailgate open, and had netting for the bugs.  The dog I had at the time preferred that set up to sleeping in tents.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:45:17 PM EDT
[#39]
put down a layer of rigid styrofoam insulation, keeps you cooler or warmer and your knees will thank you once you no longer have to kneel on bare metal. I have slept many nights in a Ford van at temps down to neg 40, mostly comfortable and only possible with the foam board.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:45:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Ehh.

BTDT.

Works very well.  But you need to have some way to vent it.  In my case it was to leave the tailgate down.  Or you can prop up the sides of the tonneau a little where the velcro holds it down.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:47:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I used mine in July.  It was not bad as long as the tonneau was propped open at a couple points along the velcro.  But ideally it was only used for sleeping in at night.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:50:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

You read things not in evidence.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:51:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Always took roll up foam padding, anything below -10F and we wound up in our trucks (FJ-40's) with them running and the rear heaters on.
Gave up Winter camping shortly after that, it's one thing to crawl out of a tent in below zero to take a piss with a warm woman to get comfortable with.
Totally different with a forced freezing yoga class that never ends in the front seats of a Landcruiser.

The 4 hour drive out without earpro was enough to convince me never to do it again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it's hard to function when it's below zero (imperial). It was -17ºF when we went to sleep, and just before, I cooked dinner with the sponge still in the pot.  Half way into eating dinner, I found the sponge.

Yeah, that's fun and all, but not nearly as much fun as bivi'ing under a tonneau cover and whistling at chicks when they pass by the open tailgate ... on their mobility scooters.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:55:44 PM EDT
[#44]
I have an 08 Chevy Avalanche.   I can lay down the back seats and drop the partition that separates the bed from the cab.  I put a sleeping mat and pillow in, with my head against the front seats.

Works great for a quick overnight or two fishing or hunting.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Ratchet strap yourself in, if someone steals your truck you don't want to be bouncing around that bed like a pinball.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:05:28 PM EDT
[#46]
My boss piles foam pads and blankets in the back of his Tundra with a hardshell tonneau cover when he goes deer hunting. He said it works well for him.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:15:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Walmart parking lot is not where I'd want to fall asleep without being locked in, but I have a minivan so I can fold seats down and inflate a bed

My trucks tonneau cover is one piece fiberglass and could be latched to keep me inside.  I did think if I ever wanted to kill myself, I would climb in the back and pull the cover down all the way and shoot myself so it would be a nice and easy cleanup job
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Few weeks back I tried this using a camper shell at a rest stop in the middle of the country. Big trucks were so loud running all night I could not sleep. Find a quiet place to start.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Try not to fart
View Quote

DUTCH OVEN!
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:34:17 PM EDT
[#50]
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top