Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2001 5:59:02 AM EDT
My girlfriend has a 94 Grand Prix with a 4 cylinder.  How easy is it to change the thermostat in the thing?  It's runs hot if she is stuck in traffic.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 6:21:21 AM EDT
[#1]
It may not be the thermostat.  The radiator may be all plugged up.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 6:26:04 AM EDT
[#2]
......and hows that fan working?
just a thought

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 6:30:28 AM EDT
[#3]
check blinker fluid
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 6:35:29 AM EDT
[#4]
oh yeah, while you have it apart check for reverse alternating compression gauge miscomputation and the advaced stoichiometric zenor diode fluctuation.   [:)]

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 6:39:07 AM EDT
[#5]
The radiator being plugged is certainly a possibliity, but my motto is to check/replace the cheapest items first.  If a part has been installed, and it is not the problem, you probably can't take it back.  Not good considering the cost of some replacement radiators.  If I remember right, it is the same motor as the Cavaliers.  I have worked on those.  Shouldn't be too tough.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 6:48:07 AM EDT
[#6]
The thermostat shouldn't be too bad to replace as the housing is usually right on the top of the motor. However, I am not aware of any Grand Prix they made with a 4 cyl. Are you sure it isn't a Grand Am?

If it only happens when sitting in traffic, I would check the fan and the temp. sending unit. The GM 4 cyl is also notorious for head gasket problems due to heating issues.

Cooling problems can be numerous different things. A radiator cap that doesn't hold the correct pressure can cause unusual overheating to occur. The cap has to be able to hold 16psi on the cooling system or that can cause the car to overheat.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 6:48:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I would do a cooling system flush before anything else.  Make sure you get the 50/50 mix of water/coolant when you fill it back up. Buy the flush kit and the flush additive.  I don't like to use all the flush additive as it is a fairly harsh chemical.  I normally add about half and run the flush procedure.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 7:05:23 AM EDT
[#8]
sounds like a possible fan issue. second doing a flush and fill, after changing the thermostat.
also something that gets overlooked lot's is the front spoiler. believe it or not that is there for more than looks.
the lower spoiler/air dam, directs air for more cooloing. had a few wrecked corsicas that we were not able to get this part for when the front ends were fixed. sent them out so they would be useable, turns out that without this part they all over heated.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 7:17:53 AM EDT
[#9]
the relay for the fan is more than likley the problem.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 7:45:10 AM EDT
[#10]
"HMMmmm...This won't be cheap.."
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 7:46:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 7:58:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top