Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 181
Posted: 4/29/2020 2:04:47 PM EDT
Not sure if we’ve done this yet, couldn’t find a dupe.  Black man was jogging, two white men try to stop and “question” him because he apparently looks like a burglary suspect, struggle ensues and black man is killed.  Don’t know the whole story, but certainly looks like a bad shoot.  Bonus because one perp is a former cop, and the DA recused himself because of former work relationship

Link to article
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:08:14 PM EDT
[#1]
....$100 says theres more to this story.....
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe, but running down someone to “question” them seems like bad practice
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:14:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Zimzam school of practice.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Now wait for the rest of the story
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Not sure what Georgia law allows, but chasing someone that runs by your house, yelling at them, and cutting them off several times before jumping out with a shotgun, doesn't seem wise.

Even if Georgia law somehow covers them, they are going to be bankrupt at best with a decent chance of going to prison.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#8]
FLETC taking instruction off campus?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:17:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not sure if we’ve done this yet, couldn’t find a dupe.  Black man was jogging, two white men try to stop and “question” him because he apparently looks like a burglary suspect, struggle ensues and black man is killed.  Don’t know the whole story, but certainly looks like a bad shoot.  Bonus because one perp is a former cop, and the DA recused himself because of former work relationship

Link to article
View Quote

I live in the area. Much much more to the story.

a) Series of property thefts in the subdivision
b) Jogger was caught in a property that was not his.
c) Jogger was chased due to item b)
d) Jogger grabbed gun when confronted and pulled it towards himself, it was a shotgun.
e) Family admits jogger had a history of crimes..... including property crimes...... and mental issues... but said he should have been left alone to do what he needed to do.
f) DA recused due to one of the two who chased used to work for the DA in some manner
g) Family is currently doing a TARVON was a good kid DA search. No one wants to touch it.
h) it goes on.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Brunswick is a 3rd world craphole.  This is the same area where a guy shot a baby in a stroller a few years ago because the baby's mom rebuffed him.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

They didn't. He was caught in a house under construction in an ran. They chased. Lots of stuff missing from homes in the area.

Also, didn't live in the area, but thought is would be great to go jogging there....
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not sure if we’ve done this yet, couldn’t find a dupe.  Black man was jogging, two white men try to stop and “question” him because he apparently looks like a burglary suspect, struggle ensues and black man is killed.
View Quote

He was probably jogging on the wrong side of the road.
@Aimless
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#13]
boomer cops never fully retire... from getting blacks arrested

911 Called on Black Realtor Showing Home for Sale

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not sure what Georgia law allows, but chasing someone that runs by your house, yelling at them, and cutting them off several times before jumping out with a shotgun, doesn't seem wise.

Even if Georgia law somehow covers them, they are going to be bankrupt at best with a decent chance of going to prison.
View Quote

So the family lawyer seems to be paying off.

The guy was caught in another home, was chased due to that.

They will be good to go, but will be bankrupted in the process.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Brunswick is a 3rd world craphole.  This is the same area where a guy shot a baby in a stroller a few years ago because the baby's mom rebuffed him.
View Quote

Brunswick is.

This was outside Brunswick in the county. Much better area where the "jogger" did not live. lots of things going missing when he came by.....
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They didn't. He was caught in a house under construction in an ran. They chased. Lots of stuff missing from homes in the area.

Also, didn't live in the area, but thought is would be great to go jogging there....
View Quote

Now the question is will the be covered by stand your ground in a case where it wasn’t their property (unless I missed where it was) and they pursued to the point of confrontation.  Not saying he wasn’t stealing but this will be interesting to see with the variables
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:32:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Former cop? Hmmm. We all know how well they ID suspects:

Lol.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

d) Jogger grabbed gun when confronted and pulled it towards himself, it was a shotgun.
e) Family admits jogger had a history of crimes..... including property crimes...... and mental issues... but said he should have been left alone to do what he needed to do.
f) DA recused due to one of the two who chased used to work for the DA in some manner
g) Family is currently doing a TARVON was a good kid DA search. No one wants to touch it.
h) it goes on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link to article

h) it goes on.

I'm guessing that you meant to write "Trayvon" not "TARVON" as in that overgrown, violent thug, Trayvon Martin, who violently attacked George Zimmerman in Florida? In any event, the "family" admits that their "thug" relative has a criminal history, including "thefts" which just happens to be a problem in that neighborhood as well as "mental issues" and yet they go on to claim .... "was a good kid".....????   Yeah, right. And the family went on to say ..... "....said he should have been left alone to do what he needed to do." If he was mentally defective, what if he needed to kill someone?  Ideally the two men should have called police, followed him at a safe distance, and pointed him out to police when they arrived. The circumstances don't look like this mentally defective criminal individual was merely out for an innocent stroll through someone else's neighborhood. Hopefully this gets sorted out correctly by the police investigators after they get all of the "facts."

Oh, and I have been to New Brunswick and it is a "$h!tho!e" as the president would so aptly describe it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

h) it goes on.
View Quote

Was he actually seen on the property? In the linked article, all it mentions is that a 911 call was made prior to the chase that said a black man was seen in a home that was being built. Not that the dead guy was IDed as having been the same black guy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:38:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Unless it was my home and I saw him there, I'm not going give chase.  Even then, I probably wouldn't.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Jogger sounds more like a perp, pulling a gun out of someone's hands does not help solidify "hey, I'm innocent."

Two locals sound a little too trigger happy and taken upon themselves to ZimZam the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Interesting aside, seems the officer retired shortly after a debacle with the DA’s office bonding out a former officer, twice, and then killing his wife and another, with the perp also ending up dead

Article
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:47:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
The story from the Times does not go that way.

It says an unrelated neighbor called the police because an unidentified man was in a home under construction.

It seems like two incidents.  Meaning it doesn't match up to your account that he was chased due to that.

Do you have a source for your claim?  

Your information may be correct, but from what I have read in a casual search it doesn't match up.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#25]
So headline should read....citizens caught burglar.... as in, fleeing felon....who attempted to use deadly force to escape
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So headline should read....citizens caught burglar.... as in, fleeing felon....who attempted to use deadly force to escape
View Quote

I’ve not seen anything that actually says they saw him in the other house, he just fit the description
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It says an unrelated neighbor called the police because an unidentified man was in a home under construction.

It seems like two incidents.  Meaning it doesn't match up to your account that he was chased due to that.

Your information may be correct, but from what I have read in a casual search it doesn't match up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is where I'm at. He certainly could be the burglar. But I didn't see any definitive info in the linked article. Lurker also said lots of things went missing as the guy went by. If it was him, where did all of the stuff go? It doesn't read like he had anything on him when he ran past the old guy and his son, and you'd think if they found items in his possession after he was shot, it would be pretty clear he was the burglar.

Either way, not enough info.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Brunswick is.

This was outside Brunswick in the county. Much better area where the "jogger" did not live. lots of things going missing when he came by.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brunswick is.

That’s too bad. Driven past that exit countless times. Always kind of wanted to check it out.

Can’t say I’m surprised though.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Here's my philosophy -
If there is time for me to call the cops (i.e. no one is in immediate danger), that's what I'm going to. If he gets away, so be it.

The police are trained, authorized and paid to handle shit like this. I am not. Nor do I want the liability associated with it.

If someone is an immediate threat, that's different. But I won't be pursuing or questioning suspects.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This is where I'm at. He certainly could be the burglar. But I didn't see any definitive info in the linked article. Lurker also said lots of things went missing as the guy went by. If it was him, where did all of the stuff go? It doesn't read like he had anything on him when he ran past the old guy and his son, and you'd think if they found items in his possession after he was shot, it would be pretty clear he was the burglar.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, from what I have read, the pursuers were basing their info on past security videos of previous burglary's, not the current situation.  All they saw him do that day was run by their house.  Also, the unnamed 3rd party apparently filmed the shooting, so there is much more evidence to be released.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What did you see that certainly makes it a "bad shoot"?

"one perp is a former cop", what crime did they perpetrate?
View Quote

They instigated an altercation without, they themselves, being attacked/harmed/robbed/burgled/otherwise having ill will done against them, or witnessing any crime against anyone else (not from anything I’ve read), and had no arrest or power to detain, which ended up in a death.  At least from what I’ve read

Edit:  A skilled prosecutor would paint it as “two vigilantes attempting to detain a pedestrian, while having no police powers, with no evidence of a crime committed, which lead to altercation where the deceased was shot while trying to defend himself from two armed assailants, while he was unarmed.”
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Unless it was my home and I saw him there, I'm not going give chase.  Even then, I probably wouldn't.
View Quote

Same here.  Hell, I have walked through a lot of homes that were under construction.  Not stealing, just curious.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He didn't run anybody down. Trayvon ran him down. Zim didn't confront. Tray did.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#36]
I have done no further reading, nor do i know enough to judge the situation either way ... but just look at this beautiful wording to open the article ....

"Mr. Arbery, a 25-year-old black man, was chased by armed white residents of a South Georgia neighborhood. He was shot dead during a confrontation."

I mean does that not make it sound like it's 1928 and 100 white men with torches are chasing down some poor innocent black person?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What an amazing amount of ignorance mixed with opinion!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What did you see that certainly makes it a "bad shoot"?

"one perp is a former cop", what crime did they perpetrate?

They instigated an altercation without, they themselves, being attacked/harmed/robbed/burgled/otherwise having ill will done against them, or witnessing any crime against anyone else (not from anything I’ve read), and had no arrest or power to detain, which ended up in a death.  At least from what I’ve read

What an amazing amount of ignorance mixed with opinion!

Please, explain my ignorance, from the evidence we’ve so far been presented?  What have I said that was untrue?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Now the question is will the be covered by stand your ground in a case where it wasn’t their property (unless I missed where it was) and they pursued to the point of confrontation.  Not saying he wasn’t stealing but this will be interesting to see with the variables
View Quote

Good question on that. It was considered a good shoot by locals until the lawyers got involved.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:51:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What an amazing amount of ignorance mixed with opinion all in just one sentence!
View Quote
Can you give your opinion on how it played out?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:52:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Was he actually seen on the property? In the linked article, all it mentions is that a 911 call was made prior to the chase that said a black man was seen in a home that was being built. Not that the dead guy was IDed as having been the same black guy.
View Quote

I would say yes based upon the extensive news reports today. Local radio had it on for an hour going over the whole thing. I missed part of it due to clients, but they caught him red handed and he ran. This is the local sport for the community. If caught, run!

If they catch you, fight!

I wish they went back to the days of just shooting someone who ran. It would stop a lot of the mess around here.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

h) it goes on.
View Quote

Is this hearsay or is it documented somewhere?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:55:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Jogger sounds more like a perp, pulling a gun out of someone's hands does not help solidify "hey, I'm innocent."

Two locals sound a little too trigger happy and taken upon themselves to ZimZam the neighborhood.
View Quote

They had been relieved of several items in their home when gone. As had most of the community. Safe place that most did not lock doors until the thefts occurred. The whole community was looking out for him. The pair just had the bad luck of being on watch when he came by.

The mental issues for those who are interested we the fact that he was violent when confronted on anything. This is per the family. Not the cops. You ask a question and he throws a punch type of crap.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just what the local radio read from police reports etc. They went on for an hour. They also said the lawyer for the family had an entirely different story.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Good question on that. It was considered a good shoot by locals until the lawyers got involved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An unfortunate consequence of cases like this is that they get taken on by organizations that get cases pushed up to higher courts, and cause lawsuits that could possibly get stand your ground laws to be repealed. And, as much as I hate to say it, having grown up in the small town south, it’s still possible to be arrested, killed, or otherwise harmed from being black, or of the wrong social class, in the wrong part of town.  This is the land where high school classes have private proms so black kids can’t come.  As had been said before, though, there are parts of this story that are left out.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

This had been going on for a while.... lots of thefts. how long? I missed that part. Yet it was long enough for an entire sub division to get together to solve it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

The radio had that as their opinion also.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#48]

That was a cluster. Everyone was saying WTF about that one.

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#49]
And Lurker, I very much appreciate your level headed commentary from the actual area
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Here's my philosophy -
If there is time for me to call the cops (i.e. no one is in immediate danger), that's what I'm going to. If he gets away, so be it.

The police are trained, authorized and paid to handle shit like this. I am not. Nor do I want the liability associated with it.

If someone is an immediate threat, that's different. But I won't be pursuing or questioning suspects.
View Quote

Small town police. They would never ever catch him unless he gave himself up. Not going to happen.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 181
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top