Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2001 11:27:20 PM EDT
I'm considering purchasing my first shotgun.

I saw other post about various shotguns as well as the vang comp system. After having read about the vang comp over a year ago in [U]American Rifleman[/U] I think this is what I want.

Why did each of you choose the shotgun that you have and why is one, in your opinion, better than the other????
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:31:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Mossberg 590A1. Because it's what the military uses.

-Andy

"Can you describe the suspect?" "Um, it was some guy in a hat...."
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I just saw a FN police shotgun special at fulton armory. I have never owned a shotgun and I was considering it because it seemed like a reasonable substitute for a more expensive benelli. But since I am ten rungs below even a newbie when it comes to shotguns, my opinion is worth what you payed for it probably.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:34:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally I would go for a Remington 1187 then a 870. But you cant go wrong with those or a Mossberg 590. You also might want to check out the Benelli line. the M4 Super 90 is awesome. kinda pricey though
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:36:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on what you are planning to do with it.  There are lots more accessories for the Remington 870/1100/11-87 than the Mossbergs.  Nothing wrong with Moss though, very reliable.  How about a Benelli?
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:55:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Like Warlord said, it depends on what you plan to do with it. A great shotgun for goose hunting is not the same animal as is one for deer hunting or home defense. The last two examples can tend to overlap though. Defense use means it needs to be compact enough to be manageable indoors. A good goose gun will not fit that requirement. Some folks, though, get all worked up in a frenzy about needing things like Vang-Comp work or the ability to change ammo types in mid firefight. IMHO, the only user that should be considering ammo choice in mid fight might be an LEO. When your home is being invaded, your only consideration should be ending the conflict, with consideration to others in the house not getting plastered in the overspray or overpenetration. Therefore, for defense, the shotgun should be a short barrel type, and ammo choice should have been made in advance based on the situation in the house. In my house, there is no danger of hitting anyone other than the target since the only other occupant will be behind me. A very bright light for target identification is a must as well. Some people here will tell you you are crazy for using a weapon mounted light since that gives away your location. I think if you're in your own house and are familiar with what is where, you'll know an unusual shape in the dark, so a very quick flash to verify the validity of the target just before squeezing the trigger will give away less advantage than the risk. If you kill a friendly, you're in deep doo doo and we all look bad.
But I digress - the Mossburg and the 870 are both very fine scatterguns. The Mossy may be a little cheaper, the Rem has a bigger variety of accessories available. Keep the barrel length to 20" or less, put a Surefire light on it, train with it, and either will be fine. Choose the one you like best after handling them, but make sure you get a configuration that suits your needs.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 12:02:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Snorkel Bob is right about Benelli line of guns being pricey.  With rifles you get what you pay for, but shotguns are a different story.  My dad payed around $3k for a Fianchi (manufacturers of Benelli shotguns) 20G side-by-side.  Granted it's a great gun, but I'll take my Remington anyday for a 1/10 of the price.

Shotguns are extremely twisted when it comes to price vs. quality.  One guy here in a previous post mentioned something about "a $20 Casio keeping better time than a $2000 Rolex".  While this won't be true in the shotgun world, you'll often find that you pay more for authenticity, stock, finish, etc then you will for true-grit quality (like you would a rifle or handgun).  Benelli's are absolutely awesome for $1000+ shotguns, if you're actually willing to spend that much.  Tactical buttstock, pistol grip, good receiver for mounting optics: you really get what you pay for with this gun.

Another general rule of thumb for the budget-sensible scattergun:  Remington or Mossberg, and you can't go wrong.

[i]This..is my BOOM-stick!  A 12G double-barreled Remington, S-Mart's top of the line.  You can find this in the sporting goods department.  That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan.  Retails for about $190.95, it's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel...and a hair trigger.[/i]
Jewbroni~

Link Posted: 5/18/2001 12:03:50 AM EDT
[#7]
The primary function of this shotgun would be home defence. This is one of the reasons I considered the Vang Comp system as it patterns well with the Federal 00 and 000 low recoil tactical loads.

I like the remingtom because I can change the barrel and shoot clays, etc with it.

I'm not *even* considering changing barrels in a fire fight. The Vang Comp barrel for home defence and maybe another barrel for clays or something.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 12:06:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Snorkel Bob:
Personally I would go for a Remington 1187 then a 870. But you cant go wrong with those or a Mossberg 590. You also might want to check out the Benelli line. the M4 Super 90 is awesome. kinda pricey though
View Quote

Why the 11/87 over the 870? Info please!
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 12:13:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm considering purchasing my first shotgun.

(snip)

Why did each of you choose the shotgun that you have and why is one, in your opinion, better than the other????
View Quote

I chose Mossberg. Why? because I like it. I shoot shotguns for a living. Mossberg never fails. feels exactly the same on the first shot as it does the 31st. 870s (in my own experience) tend to get tighter as they get hotter. Benelli's are just there. they work, every time. I simply don't care for the ergonomics. You can't go wrong with any one of them. I simply prefer the Mossberg. ( I use the 500, if I need more than 5 rounds, I'm grabbing my AR)
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 12:18:59 AM EDT
[#10]
misterhemi (I LOVE that name - I want a Hemi for my `70 Charger R/T one of these days!!)

My reference to the Vang-Comp setup didn't mean changing barrels in mid fight!!! I just meant that in most home defense situations you will be within 15-20 feet from the target and at that distance you would be hard pressed so see any advantage from the expensive porting work. My reference to the ability to change ammo in mid fight was directed at the Benelli crowd (I have an M1 Super 90 tactical, which I love, but..). I think the bux would be better spent on a light and maybe several ways of increasing the capacity - both in the mag and attached to the outside of the gun. You may only have time to grab the one item and put it into service. I built mine for under $650, way less than a Benelli, and the same could be done with an 1187 (although the lights aren't as readily available for under list price). Here's how it came out:

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/034/fv/kv/9u/YJ84635.jpg[/img]

It started out as an 870 Express HD (which stands for "home defense"). My only complaint is that the little bugger kicks like a mule with the rock hard recoil pad that came on the Speedfeed stock. Someone in the other current shotgun thread said to avoid pistol grips due to retention concerns, which I agree with unless it's a full stock with a pistol grip. I think that would be a lot harder to take away than a normal stock.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 3:00:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Mossberg 500. Why? Because I got it for $150.00 private sale, never fired.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 3:12:36 AM EDT
[#12]
You can't go wrong with Remington!
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 4:02:50 AM EDT
[#13]
[size=5]Remington 870[/size=5]
I had a Mossberg, it rattled, sounded cheap, but worked fine.
I like the steel rem 870 much better.
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/027/MS/uZ/wv/UQ92307.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 4:21:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I like this, but with ghost ring:

[image]wsphotofews.excite.com/034/fv/kv/9u/YJ84635.jpg[/image]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 4:37:23 AM EDT
[#15]
REMINGTON, REMINGTON, REMINGTON!!!!!!
Actually I do have a Mossburg 500 too, but I prefer Remington! My Dad always shot Remingtons and he lived close to the factory in New York so thats what he always shot. I've had Wingmasters, Expresses, 870's, 1187's had a 1100 with the synthetic stock and they all functioned perfectly!!! The Wingmasters have such a superior finish and they feel soooo much tighter!! I have to admit my Mossbergs have gave me no problems either. I've had 2 500's and a semi and they were fine!
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 4:45:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I know you asked about Remington & Mossberg, but I couldnt help it.  I would recommend the Winchester 1300 Defender.  Great reliable shotgun.  I got mine from wal-mart for $200.  8 shells and 18" barrel (as I recall).
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:14:48 AM EDT
[#17]
pump = 870
auto = M1 Super 90. Not recommended for people with soft shoulders. [:)]

nuff said!
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#18]
BTT

I know I originally said Remington & Mossburg but other suggestions are welcomed. Just tell me why you chose it!

Also, is there something about it that you like over other manufacturers shotguns?
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Get something in the Mossberg 500 series or the Remington 870 or 1187.
There is plenty of stuff out there to hang on each of these shotguns, my only suggestion is to pay the extra and get the ghost ring sights.

My scattergun is a Mossberg 500 Mariner (with ghost ring sights), 18 1/2 barrel, Surefire forend, Tac-Star shell holder, Choate pistol grip full length stock, oversized safety switch and a 30 round bandoleer sling. The only thing left is to add the kitchen sink!

At 100 yards my shotgun is accurate. I can bust cans with the best of them. Remove the sling and the light from the forend and it makes a pretty good clay shooter too.

Hans Vang has told me this: If I like how it shoots now, then why spend any more money on it. His only suggestion was to lengthen the forcing cone, back-boring the barrel, and adding compensating ports. Vang Comp it!

He also said that there is nothing wrong with the plastic trigger group on the Mossberg 500's.
He told me that he has yet to see one fail.

PMC makes some outstanding ammo, it is 12 gauge 2 3/4" slug ammo. It is actualy made by Clever, SRL, and it uses a 1 ounce slug designed by Brenneke.

Shotguns are fun!
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I have 5 Mossberg 500s, and I've been VERY happy with them. I don't have a Remington, but I like those also. Either one will serve you well.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#21]
pump-mosi, semi-rem
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Mossbergs have interchangeable barrels too. I chose Mossy over Remington largely due to price, and the Moss is a little lighter due to the aluminum receiver.  The only hang up is that you cannot add a mag extension without buying a new barrel, due to the location and design of the barrel mounting system.  IMHO, if you you need more than 5 rounds of buckshot, you're in the wrong line of work.............
 Also, #4 buck has tested out to be more incapacitating than #00 or #000.  Ghost rings are indeed a good idea, other accessories are a matter of opinion.....
 Hey Gus what are you doing with a Rat Turd? LOL!  I know, poor joke......
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I prefer Remington, but probably because that is what I learned with and I am familiar with the ergonomics. I have 3 in different configuration.  Nothing wrong with Mossy though.  It is a matter of personal comfort.  You may want to pick your accessories/configuration first and then decide after weighing all options.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Since you asked, the 870 Wingmaster is the best made shotgun out there. Take this shotgun and let Wilson Combat give it the scattergun touch and you will have a very reliable tactical shotgun.

For the M1 Super 90, it is the smoothest and fastest autoloading shotgun. I have heard that you can unload all rounds in the mag before the first shell hits the ground so I decided to try it for myself and my son witnessed that such feat is possible. I will however tell you that the recoil is more punishing than the 1187 but if you get used to it, it is a better shotgun than the latter.

I had a Mossberg Persuader before and they are also very nice but it will not win against a Wingmaster. Winchester 1300 is always available at the local Walmart but I never did like how it feels on my hands.

my humble opinion.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I learned to shoot shotguns with my dad's 870. I now own my own. Having worked for the last 11 yrs in a sporting goods shop I get to fondle all sorts of toys. [:)]

Only the wood stock 870's and 1100-1187's fit me right. Not even the same gun with the synthetic stock.

Fit is much more important in a shotgun than in a rifle. Buy the shotgun that you feel most comfortable with when you shoulder it.

You really can't go wrong with whichever one of these two you choose.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#26]
The Remington's seem to be of much better quality than the Mossbergs IMHO.  The Mossbergs I have handled and shot have stiff, sharp safeties, the pumps rattle like an old Camaro, and they have very mushy and sticky actions.  

I am just not impressed with the quality of the Mossberg shotguns.  Mossbergs are usually bought on looks and price not toughness.

An 870 just has a feel of quaility and ruggedness that I can not get from a Mossy 590.

Maybe other have better experiences with Mossys but I would take any one of my four 870's over a Mossy anyday.

Now if money is not a problem the Bennelli Super 90 would be my first choice tho.  I have one and absolutely love it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 8:54:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Supposedly there are more 870s out there than any other shotgun. That should say alot.
Next add that there are more accessories out there for the 870 than any other shotgun. Two good points. I have an 870 and an 11-87. Both would serve you well. Both are from Scattergun Technologies. Check them out.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:11:06 AM EDT
[#28]
I own 2 shotguns, and I love them both.  For trap and skeet, my Remington 1100 with a 30" full-choke.  For home defense, I keep my Mossberg M-590A1 under the bed in condition three, with #4 Buckshot. With the 8+1 capacity, ghost-ring sites, and speed-feed buttstock (not to mention the bayonet lug!!), I think it is the best "off the shelf" tactical shotgun around.

I think the choice of shotguns is an individual thing.  Grab some friends with shotguns, and shoot a few.  See which one or ones tickle your fancy.

Just my humble opinion . . .
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:23:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Hey,

Thanks for all of the replies. Lots of good info!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top