Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I am getting emails from here in my hotmail account.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Striker:

I have no idea. that is above my pay grade, outside my wheel house, I don't speak geek.
View Quote

It's probably an inbound domain filter for the .com address.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 7:49:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By esa17:
I get the newsletter and EE contacts no problem.
View Quote

Me too. Its the subscriptions that fail to be delivered.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 6:03:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Subscriptions, verification e-mails, forgot password e-mails, etc.
Seems to be server generated ones that are being blocked.
GB is working on a solution.
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#6]
ost.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 6:40:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I am on comcast and get the news letter but at the end of month. My own business emails go right to comast spam folders if it has noreply in it
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:16:33 AM EDT
[#8]
News letter arrived today, but that is it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:18:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JThompson:
News letter arrived today, but that is it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:53:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah I haven't been receiving emails to my Live.com account!
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:35:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Good to know. I was wondering why I wasn't getting notifications on my EE ads.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#15]
As a long time mail admin, M$ has a long and sordid history of completely fucking mail to death.  They are often one of the worst spam sources, and yet their own inbound spam filtering is hap hazard and poorly done (as Arfcom is finding out).

Anyone who uses M$ for email should expect piss poor service and lost emails.

https://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings/microsoft.com
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Does the ARFCOM email server have DKIM set up? A lot of the free webmail hosts now reject emails when DKIM isn't present for the sender.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Just tried a reset password email with an Office 365 account. Went to spam but it goes through. Interesting.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Would there be any benefit to new emails like [email protected] ?
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:30:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
There is a difference between blocking and being sent directly to spam. It's possible that they are going to spam and getting lost.  GB should see the blocked emails on the mail server.  

Somehow, Gmail continues to label my official Donald Trump emails as spam. Even though i continue to say 'not spam'.
View Quote

Not all mail servers deliver rejection notices when messages are blocked.

I make damned sure ours doesn’t. Prevents backscatter spam and keeps us off spam blacklists.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:33:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By JamesP81:

Not all mail servers deliver rejection notices when messages are blocked. 

I make damned sure ours doesn’t. Prevents backscatter spam and keeps us off spam blacklists.
View Quote

Does yours at least give a 550 response ?
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:43:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By the-fly:

Does yours at least give a 550 response ?
View Quote

Only to authenticated users inside my organization. NO error messages are transmitted to external senders, ever.

Forging a reply to or errors to address is incredibly simple for a spammer. Sending NDRs to external senders is prime time for backscatter attacks and getting ourselves added to spam blacklists.

There might be way to essentially do spf verification on the reply to or error to address for a non deliverable message. I haven’t worked that out yet.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:17:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I discovered my msn mail was not working on arfcom a month or so back... I ended up using a different email.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:44:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Responding with a 550 shouldn't cause back scatter.  Its only accepting an incoming email, THEN bouncing it that causes the back scatter.

This is from my logs today.  Certain fields changed to protect the innocent.

NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[198.246.31.110]: 550 5.7.25 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [198.246.31.110]; [email protected] to=user@mydomain proto=ESMTP helo=[198.246.31.110]

I'm using Postfix, and it immediately tells the incoming SMTP server to fuck off with the 550.  It doesn't generate a back scatter to the "random-victim".

Now if the sending SMTP server (198.246.31.110 in this case) is poorly configured, it MIGHT back scatter the "random-victim", but most SMTP servers will notify whoever authenticated against it to generate the email request.  In this particular case, the sending SMTP server is actually some idiot with a compromised box, and the trojan running on it is generating the spam.  It won't waste time generating a back scatter.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:52:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JamesP81] [#24]
Responding with a 550 shouldn't cause back scatter.  Its only accepting an incoming email, THEN bouncing it that causes the back scatter.

This is from my logs today.  Certain fields changed to protect the innocent.

NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[198.246.31.110]: 550 5.7.25 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [198.246.31.110]; [email protected] to=user@mydomain proto=ESMTP helo=[198.246.31.110]

I'm using Postfix, and it immediately tells the incoming SMTP server to fuck off with the 550.  It doesn't generate a back scatter to the "random-victim".

Now if the sending SMTP server (198.246.31.110 in this case) is poorly configured, it MIGHT back scatter the "random-victim", but most SMTP servers will notify whoever authenticated against it to generate the email request.  In this particular case, the sending SMTP server is actually some idiot with a compromised box, and the trojan running on it is generating the spam.  It won't waste time generating a back scatter.
View Quote

This triggers due to the sending server having no reverse DNS records, yes?

I haven’t had to do major changes or digging in to our mail setup in a while. I got it going and let it run. Don’t want to dig out notes in the middle of the night

The problem I face is that many of our customers’ situations see them using small local ISPs for email and internet access. Often these small operations have weak assed mail server setups. No spf or dkim usually. Also usually no reverse dns records. It makes administration on my end fun.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:11:52 AM EDT
[#25]
A quick check on mxtoolbox says ar15.com is missing dmarc record, on sorbs and uceprotectl3 blacklists, ptr already mentioned, soa format is invalid and no tls support. Any of that could pose an issue with the big boys. You have to cross all the Ts and dot all the Is in the email game. A good relationship with big postmasters and folks running RBLs doesn't hurt and is still not a guarantee.

(Former ops engineer at a large email provider)
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:22:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By JamesP81:

This triggers due to the sending server having no reverse DNS records, yes?

I haven’t had to do major changes or digging in to our mail setup in a while. I got it going and let it run. Don’t want to dig out notes in the middle of the night 

The problem I face is that many of our customers’ situations see them using small local ISPs for email and internet access. Often these small operations have weak assed mail server setups. No spf or dkim usually. Also usually no reverse dns records. It makes administration on my end fun.
View Quote

My server triggers a 550 for any number of reasons.  In this case, its because the idiot zombie box the spammer was using had no PTR.  But if they mail a non existent account, or trip one of the many RBL's I use, or one of the hard coded reject reasons (I refuse mail from a LOT of TLD's, like .MX, .CN, .RU, and a bunch of other similar type rules), they also get a 550.  550's are great, it takes zero resources on my end (as I'm not accepting or parsing the rest of the SMTP request, its an immediate fuck off and die type response), and for legit email attempts where they just fat fingered the address, their smtp server will let them know they botched it.

Regarding shitty SMTP servers that don't have a PTR record...that's one way to not get your email delivered.  A lot of mail servers (like myself) will NOT accept traffic if you have no PTR record.  Interestingly enough, I don't bother with SPF or DKIM, and it's not caused any rejects that I've seen in the logs.  If I ever saw one, I'd might make the effort to set it up.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:40:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Just gonna leave these right here...

https://protonmail.com/
https://www.tutanota.com/

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:11:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Its been going on for a while... All of my mails from ARFCOM go to junk mail.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#30]
microsoft is blocking our server generated e-mails.
We thought we had it sorted out but I'm getting e-mails from folks that aren't receiving verification e-mails, password recovery ones,etc.
If you are using one of those providers you may want to change your e-mail address in your account, especially if you are using the EE.
I'll update this when we get it sorted out.
Comcast blocks our e-mails as well and have for a very long time.
**update May 01**
It doesn't look like this is going to get fixed any time soon..if you have a microsoft based e-mail address in your account I would change it now.

View Quote

Striker's right.

I tried to move my email over to outlook and the forum's auto-generated email that sends you your new password would not hit my email inbox ... or my junkmail inbox - not even after I went into my settings for junkmail and set ar15.com as a trusted sender.

Opened a ticket, first person had to pass it off to someone closer to the knobs and switches to look into it, and that guy finally said they'd made changes to my account to make the emails come in, but it took several days and by than striker had already contacted me and sorted it (thanks man).

I am simply not inclined to test and see if it works for me, even though the support guy says things were changed where ar15 is an accepted domain for *my* email addy on outlook.

In all of this, noone from their help services said they had or had not blocked it. I just had to guess - transparency ... zilch, nada.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:16:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#31]
You guys should look at something like Twilio for API based email service.  We use it and it is efficient and low cost.  And our infrequent spam blacks (we send receipts and invoices) ceased after we started using it.  As near as we could tell, people were reporting invoices as spam.  It happened about once a year with various ISPs and ESPs.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:06:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I use Outlook, What's a good (free) one to use?
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#33]
I have Comcast and use Mozilla Thunderbird. I can't remember the last time I received the newsletter.
I just assumed they stopped sending it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:29:08 AM EDT
[#34]
... Microsoft is the devil anyway
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Having "AR15" in the domain name might have something to do with it.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#36]

My server triggers a 550 for any number of reasons.  In this case, its because the idiot zombie box the spammer was using had no PTR.  But if they mail a non existent account, or trip one of the many RBL's I use, or one of the hard coded reject reasons (I refuse mail from a LOT of TLD's, like .MX, .CN, .RU, and a bunch of other similar type rules), they also get a 550.  550's are great, it takes zero resources on my end (as I'm not accepting or parsing the rest of the SMTP request, its an immediate fuck off and die type response), and for legit email attempts where they just fat fingered the address, their smtp server will let them know they botched it.

Regarding shitty SMTP servers that don't have a PTR record...that's one way to not get your email delivered.  A lot of mail servers (like myself) will NOT accept traffic if you have no PTR record.  Interestingly enough, I don't bother with SPF or DKIM, and it's not caused any rejects that I've seen in the logs.  If I ever saw one, I'd might make the effort to set it up.
View Quote

Ahh ok. I was confusing NDR (the kind where delivery is accepted and notices sent after the fact if delivery failed) and the pre-acceptance fuck off and die response (550). Like I said, been a while since I’ve actually had to make changes to it.

We don’t do NDRs for any external sender. 550 we generate if rejection is due to unknown recipient, mailbox full, or something like that. We don’t do a 550 if the reject reason is the message tripped the spam filter. I prefer spammers to not know if they’re being detected or not.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:05:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Basterds.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:31:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Register a new domain (or multiple); notify the user expecting email of the new domain they will receive the email from when requesting critical emails, such as password reset. This site desperately needs content proxying as well.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#39]
just a datapoint, I run my own domain on an Office365 E1 plan, haven't seen any issues with missing ar15.com post notifications.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By MaxFenig:
I never have received any auto generated email from Arf. Maybe that's why.
View Quote

I use a yahoo paid for service.
Worth the small price to not have adds all over the email.
Monthly has been coming through just fine.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#41]
I have never received an email from ARFcom.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Create Microsoft 365 account for $5/mo for an arfcom subdomain (e.g. arock.ar15.com). Attempt to send emails to account from ar15.com. Complain to Microsoft you aren't receiving your email. Profit?
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 5:23:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Brownells did this!
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Eight_Ring:
Yeah?  Well nobody is laughing at my AOL email address now!
View Quote

Sure we are.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:14:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Jack_Of_Some_Trades:
just a datapoint, I run my own domain on an Office365 E1 plan, haven't seen any issues with missing ar15.com post notifications.
View Quote

Same, except I'm on an E5 plan. I just received an email ad for Sionyx from [email protected]. did not get sent to junk
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:20:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Terrato] [#47]
I got the Sionyx marketing email to my Hotmail address this morning, if that counts for anything. Are those sent by a different system than the forum post notifications?
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Just received the news letter from : [email protected]

Isn't that essentially the same domain from which all the other e-mails originate?
If so, what is the difference on why some make it and some don't?
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By JThompson:
Just received the news letter from : [email protected]

Isn't that essentially the same domain from which all the other e-mails originate?
If so, what is the difference on why some make it and some don't?
View Quote

Just got it too, haven't gotten any in about a month.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 6:11:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Klee:

Just got it too, haven't gotten any in about a month.
View Quote

You haven't received the monthly newsletter in about a month?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top