Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/17/2001 10:06:58 AM EDT
What do you guys think about showing people your weapons. I do not because people can say that you pulled your piece and give the cops a description and as we all know it is hard to disprove a negative. Waht do you think and why?
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you mean show them to people who are just walking down the street?  From an upstairs window?  While I laugh uncontrollably?  Never!
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Hell I've taken about 8 people shooting with my guns at this point.  I haven't done anything illegal so why should I care who sees them?  Last Saturday I sat on my front deck and cleaned pistols with a pair of friends.  If you have people that are willing to lie about you then you either need new friends or to know your neighbors better I would think.  
Most cops are rational individuals, and if they weren't then DA's occasionally are and wouldn't take the case anyway.  Of course now that I post this, I'm sure someone will come tell me how silly I am to put my trust in police, etc.  [:P]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 10:27:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Only people I trust!!

The only people that see mt guns anywhere near my house is immediate family.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Only people I trust enough to take shooting.  No one else needs to know.  It may come up in a conversation, someone asks, "What do you have?" I just tell them I have 'it' covered.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 10:59:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Every 6 months the neighborhood I live by holds a "gun open house". It is like a garage sale  where the general public can look at everyone's weapons. This one guy is a WW2 vet and sets up a really nice display of the guns and gear he used in Italy.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:09:52 AM EDT
[#8]
All my weapons hang in a gun rack mounted in the front window of my house.

Also, I like to stand by the side of the road and practice my quick draw at passing police cars.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#9]
The mailman saw me cleaning
one of my AR's through the
window one time.Does that count?
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#10]
People I know and trust and sometimes at the range with exchange of info.kept to a minimum as small talk.  

-RoadDog
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#11]
The Sheriffs office called my wife once to ask her if I robbed a bank. Apparently,one of my neighbors called the SO and told them that they saw me get out of my truck with a gun. Since they didn't have any leads, they followed up on it. They were dissappointed. I also no longer live in that crappy neighborhood.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 1:38:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm paranoid about letting the neighborhood kids know what I have.  My son brags too much.  I've got  most of mine locked in a cheap safe that would not stop a determined crook.  I'm hoping that my keeping some loaded and laying around will deter most from helping themselves to my collection.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Last Saturday I sat on my front deck and cleaned pistols with a pair of friends.[:P]
View Quote

I know of someone's friend who was cleaning his gun by the kitchen windown, and someone called the PD.  They sent over a SWAT team!  For me I would be desrete about showing my toys to strangers.  I would put people in my nieghborhood on a need to know basis.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 1:40:05 PM EDT
[#14]
My friends an my wife. My friends are collectors and shooters. My wife is the one I trust.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Why are people so STUPID that they would call the police just because they SEE a gun?

Jeeze.  Take the time to be sure of what you see.  You could get your neighbor killed just because he's cleaning his weapon.

On a personal note, I was cleaning my Garand in the garage with the door up when the cops pulled up outside (not for me).  I kept cleaning, even carried the gun w/in the garage.  Luckily, they didn't see or didn't care.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 1:54:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Why are people so STUPID that they would call the police just because they SEE a gun?
View Quote

Over the years the sheeple have been trained much like Pavlov's dogs. The media has created a conditioned response in them to react with hysterical fear at the mere sight of a gun. Compare that to say of 30+ years ago when it was a common sight to have guns out in the open and most people wouldn't even give it a second look.

This is a very powerful tool and as it has gone on for more than one generation, gun confiscation becomes all the more a reality.

Just think of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" meets "The Running Man".
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm in lawschool so I'm pretty aware of crimes you may be charged with just by someone seeing a gun.  Being in your house helps, but sitting on the front porch with a lapfull of Glock is begging for the idiot patrol to call the cops and have you arrested for Menacing or something along those lines.  

People are fools, they think that everyone is out there to hurt them and the media is no help.  Lock em up and try not to let them see the gun cases covered indescretely by duffel bags when you bring them to your car in the dead of night.  Someone is watching.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I own a gun shop so you can look at my stuff anytime you want!
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 2:01:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I only show my weapos when she asks me to. [:D]

Otherwise I will show my guns to anyone who asks. However I don't usually keep them out in view or in public unless they are one of the defense guns or I'm at the range. If I ever get another pickup I will probably have an AR in the gun rack, though.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 2:12:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I usualy only like to show mine to cops.  I'll sling everything I own over my shoulders and walk into police stations to show it off.  They like that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 2:13:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Just the neighbors dog when the dog and I are shooting the shyte
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally posted by SPORTSMANS SUPPLY:

I own a gun shop so you can look at my stuff anytime you want!
View Quote

Do you have a phased plasma pulse-laser in the 40 watt range?

-RoadDog
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#23]
In the Peoples Republic of Hawaii with the likes of Honolulu Police Department (Barney Fife en masse), I will show my "kids" to anyone who wants to see them once a year on Feb the 30th........
[beer]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#25]
not just no, but hell no.

[img]http://militanthippy.merseine.nu/downwithguns.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I guess the spent shell casing “Wind Chimes” I have hanging in front of all my windows
View Quote

you've just given me an idea! Mom's gonna have a GOOD mothers day next year.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 2:32:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Come-on...what are ya thinking?  Kurt already made one in the 4,000 watt range and that was 25 years ago......you should know better........

Link Posted: 5/17/2001 4:05:29 PM EDT
[#29]
[b][size=4] I could not show something which I do not have![/b][/size=4]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#30]
I think the best response  regarding any inquiries as to my offensive/defensive capabilities is a firm"that's classified."
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Very few people. They are friends and now with they way things are less then that.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Why?
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#33]
I have no problem of showing my guns.  All of which are legal and securly locked in my safe.  I am a honest American and have nothing to hide.  ATF
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 5:51:44 PM EDT
[#34]
"not just no, but hell no."

What he said...

Link Posted: 5/17/2001 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#35]
I've shown my guns to quite a few people.  My company sends engineers from Japan here to work with us for 2-3 months, and I have taken several of them shooting for the first time.  With the gun laws in Japan, maybe for their last time...
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Only after I take her to dinner and a movie!

Semper Fi!

Ken Little
View Quote
                                            What happened to....."this is my rifle, this is my gun...?"...........[smoke]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Okay...true story.  Back when I was married and had a "few" weapons around the house, a couple and their kid came out to ride the horses, BBQ, etc.  The husband and I had been stationed together in the Navy and they came out to visit regularly so we all knew either other well.  I wanted to show my buddy and his wife some of the guns so I hollered to them to "come see my toys" as I walked into my bedroom (you see where this is going?).  Well, their daughter heard the word toys and came running.  She got there first and, not wanting to introduce her to anything without her parents' permission I told her to go play with the horses.  She said, "But where are your toys?"  I replied, just when her parents were within earshot, "These are, um, [i]adult[/i] toys, honey.. they're not for you."  [:!]

My friends came around the corner looking quite scared at what I had to show them until I started pulling out handguns and rifles... we all had a good laugh about that one.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#38]
It`s like.....when you have more firepower than most of the local pd`s......you DO NOT advertise it....(don`t have 30 glocks though).........[rocket]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
not just no, but hell no.

[img]http://militanthippy.merseine.nu/downwithguns.jpg[/img]
View Quote

[:D]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 7:01:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Not only no but HELL NO!
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 9:01:59 PM EDT
[#42]
only at the range. if at home muzzle first!
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#43]
I honestly don't believe ANYONE has ever seen all my guns. My girlfriend knows about MOST of them as well as a couple closely trusted family members but NO ONE has ever seen ALL of them. I don't think I've even ever stored them all togeather in the same space before.
NO ... I'd never show off my toys.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#44]
I don't show my "toys" unless they happen to come up in conversation and the individuals are "interested"

BUT....

Just this last Tuesday morning, I just happened to see my (Gun-fearing Anti-gun-Democrat),sister in law pull up outside to visit with my wife...

She's married to one of my brothers, so I can't be nasty to her...BUT...
I can make her feel uncomfortable in my house...[:)]

As soon as I saw her pull up outside, I ran to the bedroom & grabbed the first 2 guns I could...

A blacked out/tube stock AK-47 w/30rd mag and my 20" Bushmaster w/30rd mag...

SCARY! SCARY! SCARY! ....[:)]    

I put the guns in places where she would notice them, but not right away...

I figured she would notice them after she was all "cozy" and chatting with the wife...

I stuck the Bushy in a corner of the kitchen where I knew they would sit and "chat"...

I put the AK in a corner, next to my rocking chair in the living room...

After the strategic gun placement, I left for the gunshop to hang-out for awhile till she left...
(don't really care for her company)

When I returned, my wife says to me..."Boy, she was freaked out..."
I said ..." WHY ???"[:)]
wife says... she noticed ALL the guns (2), and said, "wow,you guys have guns all over the place,guns SCARE me, I don't like guns..."

I said to the wife "O-well, I guess she won't be visiting again anytime soon..."
I was almost in tears...[:)]  
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 4:38:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Statistics show that most robberies are by people you know or live near you. As a result, I don't show anyone. Way too many kids and it would be way to tempting for them. Too many cool toys.  [8D]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:28:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Just to friends that I shoot with.  Not to anyone that comes in to my home just to show them off.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:48:40 AM EDT
[#47]
"What weapons, sir?  All I have is my monster 3 cell maglight and my 250lb size to scare away the bad guy."

Few know what I shoot.  Wife Knows.  Best Friend Knows.  Dad  Knows.  That's about it.  Packers at ammoman.com must wonder...
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Not really. What they don't know can't hurt me.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 3:37:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Just the neighbors dog when the dog and I are shooting the shyte
View Quote

ROFL!!!

Never knew dogs like 44 Magnums.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#50]
I recently cracked the safe and showed off my collection to some coworkers....I was pretty schnockered at the time. Spent the rest of the weekend wondering when the ATF would come rolling in. I work for a big company that had a potential "workplace shooting" scare a couple years back, so most folks are highly aware of the gun issue.

As a matter of policy, when someone asks me how many guns I own, I say, "More than I need but not as many as I want." Unless I know I can trust them, they can kiss my ass if they want to know more than that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top