Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2001 10:02:14 AM EDT
I bought a Glock 19 from a local small gun shop a few weeks back.  I noticed that he had a really nice Colt AR15, but it wasen't for sale because he was afraid of the new gun laws.

I am almost positive that it said AR15 on the receiver.  It looked like an m4 style to me with a telescoping stock.  I think it was about a 16" barrel with flash suppressor.  The hand grip was pretty beefy if my memory serves me right.  It was definetly PreBan.

Any idea which Colt this might be and how much it might be worth?

I'm trying to convince him it is legal (which it is) and see if he will sell.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#1]
What do you mean buy "It looked like an M4 style"? Did it have the barrel cut for mounting an M203 grenade launcher? Flat top upper? 4 position telescoping stock?

Given your vague description, it could be a number of models. If it is indeed marked "AR15" and the 16" barrel and telestock are factoty installed items, it is most likely either an R6001 (SP-1 Carbine) or an R6520 (Government Carbine). It could be any of the green label or earlier guns reconfigured into a carbine or M4 type as well. If you didn't get a good look at it or are not very familiar with them, it may have even been one of the R6450s (9mm Carbines).

Basically, we need more info to make an accurate call.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#2]
It didn't have a grenade launcher, or flat top.  

As I remember it was a 16" barrel with a flash suppressor, A2 hand carry sights, a mid length hand guard, a telescoping plastic stock, in .223 caliber.  It looked factory.

Does this narrow it down?  What other info is needed?
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#3]
It looked just like the R6001 (SP-1 Carbine)

www.denkins.com/cltsp1cr.htm

Are these worth $1700?  Are there any others that look like this?
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#4]
did it have a barrel step down in front
of the front sight for mounting a M203?
What type of flash hider?A-1?A-2?Vortex?Phantom?
{not that the flash hider matters at all,just seeing how good your memory is. [:D]

You sure it was'nt a flat top with A-3 handle mounted?
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#5]
$1700 seems a little on the high side for an R6001, but not unreasonable for a NIB or mint condition specimen.

Also note that the gun in the pic has A1 sights while you said that the gun in the store had A2 sights. The R6520 looks quite similar except that it has the A2 type upper receiver. You really need the serial number to nail down exactly what the gun is or at least what Colt originally shipped it as.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I think my brain is starting to smoke.

I *think* there was some sort of feature on the barrel in addition to the flash suppressor and I think it was A2 sights rather then A1.  It was NOT a flat top.

Are R6520 worth more?
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#7]
He, he, he...I quit at 3, because I wanted to keep smoking cigars, LoL!
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is a pic of my own M4 type carbine:

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/033/V6/pE/r1/gM26537.jpg[/img]

It's not the greatest quality pic, but the barrel cut I spoke of can be seen about half way between the front sight tower and the flash suppressor. It doesn't matter if a grenade launcher is actually attached to it or not, that cut will still be there on a true M4 type barrel. Is this what you were thinking of?

There is another R6001 SP-1 Carbine for sale in the forums: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=23038[/url] I'll bet a savvy buyer could easily pick it up for $1450-$1500.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top