Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2001 5:32:41 AM EDT
I have a chance to pick up a Model 19 w/ 3 hi-caps at a good price - $425.

Here's the question -

There seems to be an Old and a New model 19. Did something change in teh design??

Is $425 a good price??

Link Posted: 5/17/2001 5:36:34 AM EDT
[#1]
There are three different grip designs. Go to GlockTalk for some pics
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 5:41:03 AM EDT
[#2]
This one was made in '94 approx, just around the time of the ban.

Is there any functional difference, or any design flaws in teh old model P19's????

Link Posted: 5/17/2001 5:47:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I dont know what a P19 is but you seem to be looking at a second generation pistol, some prefer the grip to the 3rd, I dont but at that price I would jump on it if it`s in decent shape. The grip is the only real difference. The mags are a different matter, although they will all interchange within the same model, some are drop free and others need help. FML full metal lined is the way to go, they come in preban also, the others aint bad but will not drop free. ID pics of mags and design changes can be seen at Glock talk
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 5:49:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 5:56:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Glock has had a couple product recalls over the years to make changes and upgrades.  If you go to Dean Speir's site (The Gun Zone?) you can find out about them there.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 5:59:57 AM EDT
[#6]
garandman, major difference between the second generation (sounds like you have) and the newer 3rd generation is the 3rd generation has finger grooves, a small thumb shelf and accessory rails. Internals are the same, reliability is the same. Which is better is a matter of personal preference. Buy it!
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 6:09:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Good price Garandman.

Does sound like you have a gen II.

Everything the same as gen III except the finger grooves and thumb recess and the light/laser rails.

Very reliable weapon.

My carry weapon is a slightly modified 27.

[url]www.glocktalk.com[/url] is a good place for all things Glock.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 7:29:54 AM EDT
[#8]
garandman,
Check the serial number, if the alphabetical prefix is XK or lower Glock recomends that an upgrade kit be installed in it.  The upgrade kit includes a new firing pin, extractor, firing pin safety, spring loaded bearing and trigger bar.  

Glock will send out these parts for free as a warranty service.

Link Posted: 5/17/2001 8:42:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, I will chime in here with a different view.  First of all, the price is good, especially with the hi-caps.

That being said, I used to own a 3rd generation model 21 (.45ACP).  I will say that I was overall less than impressed with the pistol.  The plastic guide rod just looks to me to be a weak link, although mine never broke with about 3,000 rounds.  Secondly, the factory sights just plain suck, and are also plastic.  Also, Glock's rifling prevents you from plinking with cheap lead ammo for fear of the infamous kaboom.  Lastly, the grip never really felt ergonomically correct in my medium-sized hands.

You hear a lot about people putting in after market barrels, sights, recoil springs, guide rods, and having trigger jobs done.  Oh yeah - the trigger absolutely sucks too, and there is no traditional safety if that kind of thing matters to you.  Now I can understand a person customizing his weapon to some degree, but it just seems that a Glock is not worthy of its reputation out of the box (replacement barrels?  Come on!!!)

Just my opinion.  If you have fired and like them, knock yourself out.  Nomex suit on.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 9:52:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a chance to pick up a Model 19 w/ 3 hi-caps at a good price - $425.

Here's the question -

There seems to be an Old and a New model 19. Did something change in teh design??

Is $425 a good price??

View Quote

Are the mags in good shape? the glockmeister can update your frame. I'd be buying the gun for the mags.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 10:04:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Tactical Advisor:
garandman,
Check the serial number, if the alphabetical prefix is XK or lower Glock recomends that an upgrade kit be installed in it.  The upgrade kit includes a new firing pin, extractor, firing pin safety, spring loaded bearing and trigger bar.  

Glock will send out these parts for free as a warranty service.

View Quote

Tactical Advisor hit the nail on the head. Any certified armorer should be able to get this done for you.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I just bought a 2nd Gen. Glock 19 for $435 w/ 2 HiCaps.  That was the best price I found seeing as the mags are worth $50+ each.

The 1st Gen Glock 19s *almost* don't exist and the 3rd Gen. has a slightly different grip.

I love my 19.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well, I will chime in here with a different view.  First of all, the price is good, expecially with the hi-caps.

That being said, I used to own a 3rd generation model 21 (.45APC).  I will say that I was overall less than impressed with the pistol.  The plastic guide rod just looks to me to be a weak link, although mine never broke with about 3,000 rounds.  Secondly, the factory sights just plain suck, and are also plastic.  Also, Glock's rifling prevents you from plinking with cheap lead ammo for fear of the infamous kaboom.  Lastly, the grip never really felt ergonomically correct in my medium-sized hands.

You hear a lot about people putting in after market barrels, sights, recoil springs, guide rods, and having trigger jobs done.  Oh yeah - the trigger absolutely sucks too, and there is no traditional safety if that kind of thing matters to you.  Now I can understand a person customizing his weapon to some degree, but it just seems that a Glock is not worthy of its reputation out of the box (replacement barrels?  Come on!!!)

Just my opinion.  If you have fired and like them, knock yourself out.  Nomex suit on.
View Quote

Love my Glock.  Love the trigger, the barrel, the sights, the springs, the guide, love the f'in manual that came with it even.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:34:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Buy It. I let mine go and wish I still had it. Currently carry Glock 30. I spent 8 years trying to find the perfect ccw gun, started with a Glock 19 and ended up with a Glock 30. If you buy and dont like it, sell the mags to somebody on this board and then trade gun in.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#15]
OK Garandman, I'll answer it too, but you gotta help me when I get my wife her M1A...

Everything said so far is fairly accurate.  I'll note that the Glocks in double-stack .45 are not meant for small hands, or even medium hands.  You gotta have some monster paws for those things to like them.

The 19 is very nice, I have a G22 (Full .40) and a G27 (Sub-compact .40).  Get the upgrade kit if needed, and put it in...  Nothing more to it.  You'll enjoy it, and it's small enough for concealment.  Only problems on my .40's is one squib load that my gunsmith knocked out for me.  I'd replace the sights (and did) for the night-sights, and you'll do fine.  Get the Plug as well...
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Garandman,
Buy it if you like the frame design. If not, buy it, keep the mags and trade for 3rd gen. frame. It's a good deal. The prior info on the upgrade is true. Glock, Glockmeister, and any Glock armorer can do it in minutes. Look at the mags. If the cut on the top rear is round, then the mags are NON-drop-free. If the cut is squared or like a "v" with the bottom cut off, then they are drop-free. I have a 23 and 27. Wish you were in VA. I'd do the upgrade for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top