Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2001 11:41:53 PM EDT
I plan on shooting High Power for the first time this weekend. I have shooting my stock   AR-15 for about 2 years now and I have been doing some serious training for the last 4 months. The best I have been able to do is get about 4-6 out of 10 shots in the black. would anybody take an educated guess how competive I am going to be. Should I plan on looking for my name at the bottom of the list. I plan on shooting in about 5 matches this summer regardless how I do this weekend. I am going to use this to see how much I improve of the next couple of years.

Six
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 12:06:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Great
You'll love it. You'll also get a Garand out of it.

Just try to relax and enjoy the first match, don't worry about your score.

Don't forget to bring your sling.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 12:27:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Kalamazoo?
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 12:38:40 AM EDT
[#3]
six: may the force be with you.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 3:38:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn!!!! i was trying to forget my first (and only) highpower match.  Setting was Stone Bay Range at Camp Lejeune NC...A buddy and i went because his cousin was in charge of some sort of unit out there and all we had to do was show up-didn't have to bring anything...we shot out to 600--had a great time--the grunts gave us loads of brass--it was hot as shit--i remember the M16s  had three different trigger pulls due to the 3 shot burst gizmo--i should have my butt kicked for not going back now that i have all the stuff to go with except coat and glove but with cowboy.action pistol.skeet.trap.3 gun there just is not time.....How did i do you asked???? Well my buddy and i shot the two lowest scores of the day but mine was higher than his so all was not lost.....Dick
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 4:22:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I shot my first match this past weekend. Its a rush, man.

Scores not too good, 'cept for my sitting score (87) Not great, but that was more what I expected to do.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 5:21:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't worry *at all* about how your score compares to those of the other competitors; you will be judged only for your safe gun handling ability, and for your ability to follow the range officer's commands.  

Do take the time to check out the rules and procedures, to minimize surprises.

Eventually you might start to worry about how your present score compares with your previous scores.

Even this is misplaced attention if it happens during the match; during a match you should only worry about the shot you are about to fire.

Try your best to make each shot as close to a 10 as possible, even if you initially save a couple of rounds in rapid fire (speed develops with a little practice).

Good luck and have fun!

Link Posted: 5/17/2001 12:59:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually I am shooting in Marysville. At the Blue Water Sportsman Assoc. 10 shots slow fire prone at 100 yards, 10 shots prone rapid fire prone and the same for standing.

Six
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Hide behind the clay bank behind the targets and shoot them from behind.  You'll outshoot everyone and be an instant celebrity!
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm glad you're getting in touch with these guys. Tell them I said HI

Fred

I'll be shooting in Eau Claire, WI
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#10]
How do you get a Garand out of it?

Six
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 12:32:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How do you get a Garand out of it?

Six
View Quote

That's what I'd like to know...
....Time to look into Hi-power...
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 3:52:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Congratulations Six.

First thing you should do is identify yourself as a new shooter.  They'll squad you with some willing to take you under their wing.  Some people in this sport (a small few) are somewhat anal and may have little patience.

If the club is a CMP/DCM affiliate you can qualify to purchase an M1 Garand.  Go to www.odcmp.com.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 3:55:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Read about it at this link, www.odcmp.com
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 4:23:35 AM EDT
[#14]
first time just take your time and have fun. do not get caught up in what everyone else does. if you have 60 or 70 seconds use them take your time dont shoot all 10 in 20 seconds just a breath between every shot and that slow fire take your time they give you a minute per round for a reason. just have fun and your go back. most every local match there was a bunch of great people there.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 4:34:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Okay - I got my scores back from the match I shot-

I placed 3rd out of 22.

Of course, I only scored 351 out of 500.

And I was going up against some newbie shooters.

Oh well, I'll take it. Really, the only competition I'm shooting against now is ME.

Link Posted: 5/18/2001 4:40:25 AM EDT
[#16]
garandman:
 was that with a garand? I remember my first match with a garand about 15 years ago and I think my score was about 260 out of 500. I thought I was a good shot till I saw some of the scores like the mid to high 400's . made me go back untill I caught up.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:21:35 AM EDT
[#17]
gman,

351 out of 500 with a $1500 match grade garand, and that fancy leather shooting jacket and glove? ;^)  I still contend that it was the rack grade gun I was shooting that contributed to my lousy 267 score.  

Are typical high power matches conducted at 200 yards?  That was a long ass way to be shooting open sights.  

Only one scab left on my right elbow, and the memory of those horrid results will be gone.  To be perfectly honest about the whole garand issue, I don't think I am willing to pay $500 for one.  Before I went and shot that match, I was gung ho on buying one.  If I do get one, it sure as heck won't be to shoot.  I can think of rifles I would much rather shoot than the garand.  No disrespect intended.

Joe
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:59:26 AM EDT
[#18]
jc121 -

It was with a match-grade Garand (barrel, sights, trigger, glass bedded)

So, really its not that good a score.

In my defense, I had to sight the rifle there in the warm ups (I started in the dirt)

Also, the rifle would NOT cycle properly, so I had to fiddle with it, my concentration was messed up, and I had to reset after about every shot. Proper breathing was out of the question.

So, I think that levelled the playing field somewhat.

Cope -

The Garand is DEFINITELY NOT the Cadillac of the shooters world. It is a battle rifle, and no matter what you do to it, it will ALWAYS BE a battle rifle.

If you want to compete in matches, and BE competetive, the AR space gun is tops, and the M1A is a somewhat distant second. Realistically, the Garand is 'bout last on the list.

Those of us who love them, love them for other reasons.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 6:11:08 AM EDT
[#19]
gman,

After my horrific scores last weekend, I went ahead and added the scope mount to my DSA order.  [:)]   Couldn't wait any longer on the ATF ruling on the dsa brake, so I went ahead and ordered it with the barrel weight attached. [:(]  
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 6:14:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
gman,

After my horrific scores last weekend, I went ahead and added the scope mount to my DSA order.  [:)]   Couldn't wait any longer on the ATF ruling on the dsa brake, so I went ahead and ordered it with the barrel weight attached. [:(]  
View Quote

All you gotta do is drill four ports in the flutes at teh end of the barrel weight, and you'll have exactly the same "suppressor" (yeah, right) that the original was.

When you get the rifle, you'll see what I mean.

Either way, you WON'T be dissappointed. These rifles LOOK new - brand new.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 11:22:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Well today I shot my first match and shot 246 out of 400. I had some missed shots but I am sure that will improve in a few months.

Six
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#22]
did you have fun and would you go back? you will only get better and your fun will increase
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah I did have fun and I will be going back, Next match is June 9th.

Six
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top