Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2020 1:07:32 PM EDT
His mother and father moved back to Japan shortly before the war (Dec 4th) he stayed behind and joined the army and was in the corp of engineers digging trenches. After Pearl Harbor he was saved being sent to the mainland internment camp due to being in the army.  In January he was given the opportunity to join an infantry regiment and took it.  He didn't want to dig with a pick and shovel anymore.  the 442nd became a Japanese unit sent to Italy.

Japanese-American Soldier Recalls World War 2 | Memoirs Of WWII #19
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody?

I thought this was a cool subject.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I love the stories of the 442nd.  One of the most decorated units in history.  The battle where they rescued the unit from Texas that was pinned down was incredible.

That was a tough time for American citizens of Japanese descent that were forced into the internment camps.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#3]
You just dont beat an outfit with the battle cry of, "Go for broke!"
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:55:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hard core mother fuckers that proved to everyone they were as American as apple pie.
View Quote
A whole lotta angry in a little package.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:42:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for sharing that OP.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I love the stories of the 442nd.  One of the most decorated units in history.  The battle where they rescued the unit from Texas that was pinned down was incredible.

That was a tough time for American citizens of Japanese descent that were forced into the internment camps.
View Quote
when being American meant more than being a 'japanese-American'

We're not italian Americans, afro Americans, etc etc, we're Americans!
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:02:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hard core mother fuckers that proved to everyone they were as American as apple pie.
View Quote
Apple pie was invented in England.

But yeah they were some badass American soldiers, despite the discrimination they faced.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:08:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

But yeah they were some badass American soldiers, despite the discrimination they faced.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back in the days when the response to "you're not American" wasn't "Fuck you, give me stuff" but "Fuck you, I'll prove you wrong."

I mean, these guys and their families were being put into fucking camps by FDR. If anybody had a right to be pissed at the USG it was them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:17:43 PM EDT
[#10]
from Wikipedia:

The 442nd Regiment is the most decorated unit in U.S. military history. Created as the 442nd Regimental Combat Team when it was activated February 1, 1943, the unit quickly grew to its fighting complement of 4,000 men by April 1943, and an eventual total of about 14,000 men served overall.

The unit earned more than 18,000 awards in less than two years, including 9,486 Purple Hearts and 4,000 Bronze Star Medals.

The unit was awarded eight Presidential Unit Citations (five earned in one month).

Twenty-one of its members were awarded Medals of Honor.

In 2010, the Congressional Gold Medal was awarded to the 442nd Regimental Combat Team and associated units who served during World War II, and in 2012, all surviving members were made chevaliers of the French Légion d'Honneur for their actions contributing to the liberation of France and their heroic rescue of the Lost Battalion.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:45:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I personally knew a 442nd vet in Chicago who gave me all kind of playful hell before I moved to Texas.

He loved that they bailed out the Texas boys.

He had pure white hair when he was in his late 40s. I think I know how he got it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:24:56 AM EDT
[#12]
My grandfather was in the 442. He passed away before I could ask him about his service. I did get to go to DC and accept the Congressional Gold Medal on his behalf.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:27:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:24:28 AM EDT
[#14]
hardcore
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:26:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I re-watched Ken Burns's The War last month. The 442nd and their story gets pretty good coverage there.

General Dahlquist threw those guys into the meat grinder repeatedly.

After the Lost Battalion shit show, he called the 442nd in for a review formation and got pissed about a lack of attendance because he apparently didn't know how many casualties they sustained.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:04:11 AM EDT
[#16]
it was a great story... an inspirational story...
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:16:17 AM EDT
[#17]
They were hardcore.

State Route 99 between Fresno and Madera is named the 100th Infantry Battalion Memorial Highway.
State Route 99 between Salida and Manteca is named the 442nd Regimental Combat Team Memorial Highway.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:19:56 AM EDT
[#18]
There’s a number of books on the 442nd, can’t remember which one I read but it had really funny quotes throughout the book, sometimes anonymous that related to the text.  There was also a movie made I think in the 60s that I heard was good but I’m thinking a remake might prove to be really successful.

Living in Hawaii you realize how tight island life is.  Everyone knows each other - would have been more so then.  You would be hard pressed to find a more cohesive group and I think that was one of the keys to their success.  Most had never been in snow - or even cold.  They were used to eating fish and pig and lots of rice.  They were small compared to mainlanders and as a result the military didn’t have clothes that fit them.  Some of them rarely wore shoes!  One guy had a size 4EEE - almost a hoof.  Just the immense physical and psychological shock of ending up in Europe in brutal conditions would have been enough, but they had to fight for their lives on top of that.  Just an amazing story.  I still see a few members from time to time, usually at fundraisers.

Also worth reading is the battle of Niihau.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:02:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By
:

There’s a number of books on the 442nd, can’t remember which one I read but it had really funny quotes throughout the book, sometimes anonymous that related to the text.  There was also a movie made I think in the 60s that I heard was good but I’m thinking a remake might prove to be really successful.

Living in Hawaii you realize how tight island life is.  Everyone knows each other - would have been more so then.  You would be hard pressed to find a more cohesive group and I think that was one of the keys to their success.  Most had never been in snow - or even cold.  They were used to eating fish and pig and lots of rice.  They were small compared to mainlanders and as a result the military didn’t have clothes that fit them.  Some of them rarely wore shoes!  One guy had a size 4EEE - almost a hoof.  Just the immense physical and psychological shock of ending up in Europe in brutal conditions would have been enough, but they had to fight for their lives on top of that.  Just an amazing story.  I still see a few members from time to time, usually at fundraisers.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By
:

The movie you are thinking of may be Go for Broke! (1951)

Hey look what I found:
Go for Broke: an Origin Story (2017) | Official Trailer

Read the synopsis carefully:
Go For Broke, follows a group of University of Hawaii ROTC students during the tumultuous year after the attack on Pearl Harbor, as they navigate wartime Hawaii and fight discrimination. In the dark days following December 7th, these Americans of Japanese ancestry form the Varsity Victory Volunteers (VVV), fighting to defend their beloved Hawaii and get back their right to bear arms. The brave actions of these young men, their families, and the people who helped them, along with the perseverance of the original 100th Infantry Battalion draftees from Hawaii, directly led to the formation of the segregated all-Japanese fighting unit, the 442nd RCT - the most decorated combat unit in U.S. military history.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#20]
If you're interested in listening to a bunch of the old timers, there are a number of interviews http://goforbroke.org/learn/archives/index.php. The senator inouye one was interesting, covers his moh and visiting an internment camp

The search function kind of sucks there though.

The hawaii internment camps are not super well known.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Frank Silva
2 months ago
Chuck Norris has photo of this man in his wallet.
View Quote
LOL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top