> designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE) and
> tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA).
>
> After cooking his breakfast in his new electric
> skillet (MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his
> calculator (MADE IN MEXICO) to see how much
> he could spend today. After setting his watch
> (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE
> IN INDIA) he got in his car (MADE IN GERMANY)
> and continued his search for a good paying
> AMERICAN JOB.
>
> At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day,
> Joe decided to relax for a while. He put on his sandals
> (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass of wine
> (MADE IN FRANCE) and turned on his TV
> (MADE IN INDONESIA), and then wondered why
> he can't find a good paying job in.....AMERICA.....?
>
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 2:44:17 AM EDT
[#1]
aint it sad how far this country has gone in such a short amount of time ?
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 2:51:54 AM EDT
[#2]
These corparate heads who run the big corporations are so busy chasing cheap foreign labor they just don't take the time to realize they are destroying the country.

With each job that goes overseas an American tax payer must apply for welfare.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 2:55:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I knew it was a bad idea when the H1B visas were increased.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 2:57:13 AM EDT
[#4]
yup thats the truth

the destruction of the middle class continues
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 4:04:31 AM EDT
[#5]
And the population of foreigners in the country continues to rise at break-neck speed.......
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 5:19:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:12:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I love it when they say they have to move overseas due to "competitive pressure". A major small engine manufacturer said that when they moved out of Milwaukee. Problem was their major competitor was also based in Milwakee.

I've often wondered how much shipping costs are when they move stuff overseas. Why can't they just move executives overseas? In Germany average manager pay is appx 10 times avg. worker pay. In the US avg. manager pay is 100 times the avg worker pay.

Of course we bring it on ourselves. We complain about the loss of jobs here but when we go to buy stuff, for the most part, the minutely cheaper foriegn widget is sold more often than the US widget. And if ther is a big price difference........
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#8]
'Zactly!  It sure is tough to find anything American made these days.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Flame time....If he took his AMERICAN car looking for a job, it would have been towed by to the American shop by an Ameican tow truck driver!

Good luck trying to find an American to do some of the jobs we are moving overseas.  Not a rip, but true.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#11]
My Bushmaster is made in the USA!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#13]
fullclip, thanks for sharing the article!  I've already downloaded a copy to share with people at my college and business associates.  This will give me direction in my own business.  

This article is a real eye-opener!   [:(!]

-RoadDog
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:(:
I've often wondered how much shipping costs are when they move stuff overseas. Why can't they just move executives overseas? In Germany average manager pay is appx 10 times avg. worker pay. In the US avg. manager pay is 100 times the avg worker pay.
View Quote

I am ready to apply for an "average manager" job at what-ever company is paying 100 times the average workers' pay.

If the average worker makes $25K, the average manager makes $2.5 mil? [b]I'm THERE![/b]

Edited because even though I'm an above average manager, I still can't make [b]Bold[/b] work.

Pointy hair on!
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#15]
US still makes cars, and the $10k $100k price is a whole lot more than the remaining combined items.

Anyone willing to make $1/hr sewing cloths?  Or how about sewing cloths for minimum wage?

PRK is a major wine producer and the quality exceeds what the French can make (hate picking toe-nails out of french wine)
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't need a job.  I have a "position" working for the state.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#17]
People with "good paying jobs" are not going to be making alarm clocks, coffeepots, or electric razors.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#18]
NO AR definitely has his figures confused, but the fact remains that disparity between the earnings of a typical US CEO and his typical floor employee vastly exceeds that of their European and Asian counterparts. From that perspective, the 100 times as much figure doesn't sound quite so out of line. I'd be willing to bet that the CEO of my employer took home $6,000,000 in earnings and benefits last year.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
"In Germany average manager pay is appx 10 times avg. worker pay. In the US avg. manager pay is 100 times the avg worker pay."

The BS flag is raised and is flying high. Let's figure shall we?

Let's say that the "average" American worker makes minumim wage plus a few cents. Remember "average" counts 18 year old kids at McD's and union welders with 40 years - minimum wage plus a few cents, figure $7 an hour. I would guess closer to $20-25 an hour but let's just say $7.

$7 x $100 = $700 an hour for an "average manager", not an owner, not a senior executive, an "average manager". $5600 a day, $39,200 a week, $78,400 a paycheck and finally just over FOUR MILLION dollars a year for an "average manager". This doesn't include bonuses! If we went with the $20 and hour guess this would be over 12 million dollars a year for an "average manager"

I am an above manager and make about an "average managers" two week take. What am I doing wrong? Thank God that I don't live in Germany where I'd be making one tenth of what I get.

Does anyone concider the FACT that American workers have the among the highest pay and productivity in the world?
View Quote

HA MADE YOU DO MATH ON A RIFLE SITE!! [:)]
What I should have said was UPPER Management, All those guys with the alphabet titles CEO, CFO, CIO, M-I-C-K-E-Y, etc Or Jr Vice President President.

By comparisoin to the rest of the world our over-seers are over payed.... Ask the exec's at PG+E if the earned their bonuses this year
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
NO AR definitely has his figures confused, but the fact remains that disparity between the earnings of a typical US CEO and his typical floor employee vastly exceeds that of their European and Asian counterparts. From that perspective, the 100 times as much figure doesn't sound quite so out of line. I'd be willing to bet that the CEO of my employer took home $6,000,000 in earnings and benefits last year.
View Quote

I think I got the figures right just not the proper -terms- sorry, it was clear to me when I typed it.......that is usuallly a problem
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I have read all the replies and have to say I agree with all of them.I don't pretend to know what the answers are,but have to wonder if the point of American industry now is to provide managers and CEO's with high dollars. Have we become too proud to be a worker anymore? Look at all the fancy names for garbage men now.I am not flaming garbage men, for as my job title has Engineering Tech. in it, I still fill potholes for the state for a living. When people learn what I do for pay, The reply is usually someone has to do it. Even in the most advanced society, there has to be the common worker. But remember, that doesn't make him a common man.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I think part of the problem is poor work ethic, poor work skills, and the quest for money.

I'm not great, but it seems to me the older folks work a lot harder and the younger folks try to figure out what is the minimun amount of work they can do and get by. And then they try to figure out how the can get the standard changed so they can do less.

Plus younger people seem to know how to do everything computer related, but don' ask them to make change...... It seems work/life skills are diminishing as computers take over more and more tasks......

Sorry, rant mode off, next time I'll try to warn you first. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 6:40:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:(:
I think part of the problem is poor work ethic, poor work skills, and the quest for money.

I agree with that, but could it come from wanting our children to have it easier than us? I want that also, but push more to have a job that you enjoy, even if it is manual labor.I try to teach mine to do their best at whatever they do, and a honest days work for the pay. I will provide the best education possible and trust them from there.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My Bushmaster is made in the USA!!!!!!!!
View Quote

I wonder if they are hiring?
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#25]
It would be nice to work at a place that builds the rifle you love and enjoy. Probably get an employee discount too!
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#26]

but could it come from wanting our children to have it easier than us? I want that also, but push more to have a job that you enjoy, even if it is manual labor.I try to teach mine to do their best at whatever they do, and a honest days work for the pay. I will provide the best education possible and trust them from there.
View Quote

I thought that we wanted our children to have it better, not neccesarily easier. I agree with the rest.

I think that part of the problem is that too many people think that "I" is the most important person in the world. If we look back 1900-2000 I think that every generation of americans remembered a major war, Civil, WWI, and WWII, that pulled the country together and made people realize they were an individual that had rights and duty. I think we are being hit with the Vietnam 60's junk we should all do what we want....

I'm not that old but my parents were born around WWII and were raised by parents that lived through that and the depression. I think it makes a difference.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#27]
NO-AR, I agree fully. My dad made a landing in France in WWII and went on to Germany. His attitude and ideas were different from anything I see now. They will be missed.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#29]
While I agree that trade needs to be fair, let me be the lone voice of dissention here.

I don't see anyone running out to buy the more expensive US product.  

Look at the flip side, instead of spending $279 on a VCR, you spend $79 and that $200 goes towards something else.  If it's so bad, why is the US economy humming along?  Why is it so hard to hire good help and keep them employed?  There is no labor shortage in this country.

As long as we don't do trade with countries that have "slave" labor, free trade is a good thing.  Unfortunately, most of our trade is with countries that have slave labor.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 8:26:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top