Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/14/2019 2:45:48 PM EDT
Started a Reddit 'Change My View' thread in which I stated relationships should be viewed as transient by nature and that this position has several advantages over expecting or strictly holding to the idea that any serious relationship you have must be permanent and if isn't then it was a failure.

Figured I might as well get the curmudgeonly-old-man GD take on this as well.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 2:46:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Married almost 27 years.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Married almost 27 years.
View Quote
21 here, together 26.

Nope, I was always looking for a long term.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#3]
No thanks

I'm happily married and lonely old people make me sad.

Relationships are like money, the better strategy is long term investment.  Day trading is thrilling, but high risk.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree, and have reluctantly come to that conclusion finally @ 56 having chased that dream for many decades.

Never married.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#5]
That shit is for the animals.

There can be only ONE!
She has been there through the tough times and the good.  
Stuck it out when others would run.
Said hell yea, where others would have said hell no.

ONE - just one good one is all I will ever need and I am grateful to have found her.
Thank you God.

33 awesome years.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#6]
much happier in a long term marriage than short term fling.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Married almost 27 years.
View Quote
30 here
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I think that younger (beginning) relationships should not be considered serious in nature, say 12-20.

As we get older we should have an idea of what we want out of our ideal partner for a lasting relationship. Seriousness of relationship should also increase to the point you may have found your spouse. The level of intimacy should also increase in this age.  Sex too young is truly harmful to humans.   Ages 20-30

Everything after this point = potential for a serious relationship as our clocks are literally ticking.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Why not have both?
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Very few things are more satisfying than knowing you got a good woman who's got your back no matter what.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 2:59:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No thanks

Relationships are like money, the better strategy is long term investment.  Day trading is thrilling, but high risk.
View Quote
wow..

This!

Now if I could only keep from spending my $ like its water
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Married almost 27 years.
View Quote
Over 30, just had a high school reunion, some on second or third marriages, most talk about Match and Far East dating sites.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Probably not, as a species we are wired to pair off most of the time, makes raising offspring easier (and safer).

A few other species also mate for life, we evolved that way for a reason, so we are kind of hard wired for it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#14]
35 here, they're as serious as you make them
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:01:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Married almost 27 years.
View Quote
This right here..Married 27 years, together for almost exactly 30.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine always have been. Though I'm going on close to 8 years with the same girl and the one before her was almost a 9 year relationship. So I'm getting better I guess as I get older. It's just a matter of time before any woman gets sick of my shit.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think that younger (beginning) relationships should not be considered serious in nature, say 12-20.

As we get older we should have an idea of what we want out of our ideal partner for a lasting relationship. Seriousness of relationship should also increase to the point you may have found your spouse. The level of intimacy should also increase in this age.  Sex too young is truly harmful to humans.   Ages 20-30

Everything after this point = potential for a serious relationship as our clocks are literally ticking.
View Quote
Young relationships just kind of lay the groundwork for how to actually have a relationship, I would narrow the window from about 12-16 though. Headed into adulthood many couples will pair off and stay that way because things start to get serious rapidly after that.

It's why the "good women" that everyone harps on about are usually already gone by their 20's, their mates have seen the value in them and done what they could to hang on to them. Countless stories like that, I'm one of them, I've been with my wife since I was 15.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Please clarify, is the relationship transient, or just the romantic part?
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#19]
23 years until she turned into a raging fucking Whore.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Probably not, as a species we are wired to pair off most of the time, makes raising offspring easier (and safer).

A few other species also mate for life, we evolved that way for a reason, so we are kind of hard wired for it.
View Quote
I guess my issue is this clashes with the fact that the initial intensity/passion tends to fade dramatically for both people as the relationship progresses and the evidence of sperm competition in humans.

That, and the way-off-to-the-side branch of this argument (that I was firmly on for a little while) that says women are always looking to trade up and men are always looking to spread their seed to as many receivers as possible.

My problem is that my life experience tells me that the entire cultural concept that prevails in the U.S. today (that of dedicated long term relationships, long term but not life long relationships are somehow a waste/bad/not as fulfilling, denial of the existence of fading interest in the other person, etc.) is a collective charade. It feels like we've deluded ourselves into believing the current formula for how relationships work is the best (or at least the least imperfect) solution available. I just have trouble seeing it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Please clarify, is the relationship transient, or just the romantic part?
View Quote
As stated in the Reddit thread, just the romantic/exclusive access part. I see no reason for there to be a full on severance of ties when the romantic/exclusive portion has ended - assuming it was mutual. The relationship can continue at a friendship level afterwards.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Every romantic relationship ends in tragedy eventually, one way or another. There is no escape, so make the most of it while you can.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I knew a philosopher who worked as a manager of a used car lot.
He was a fountain of human observations that he would spit out from time to time.

" There is a seat from every ass and an ass for every seat, you just have to be able to see the deal."

Used cars are a great analogy for people.
Everything from junk to a reliable classic.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I wanted commitment when I was young.
Found it.
Married 29 years.

No commitment is waste of time.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I enjoy the long term shared experiences.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I guess my issue is this clashes with the fact that the initial intensity/passion tends to fade dramatically for both people as the relationship progresses and the evidence of sperm competition in humans.

That, and the way-off-to-the-side branch of this argument (that I was firmly on for a little while) that says women are always looking to trade up and men are always looking to spread their seed to as many receivers as possible.

My problem is that my life experience tells me that the entire cultural concept that prevails in the U.S. today (that of dedicated long term relationships, long term but not life long relationships are somehow a waste/bad/not as fulfilling, denial of the existence of fading interest in the other person, etc.) is a collective charade. It feels like we've deluded ourselves into believing the current formula for how relationships work is the best (or at least the least imperfect) solution available. I just have trouble seeing it.
View Quote
You are confusing lust for love. Love, the feelings of happiness at just being around the one you love, is what remains after all that bullshit lust fades away. You will never find long term happiness in a relationship if you think that love means constantly wanting to fuck. You are describing what used to be called the 7 year itch.

I really am sorry that the people around you failed to show you what a good, healthy marriage looks like. But that doesn't mean they are unicorns or are a lie.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Life without my Little Pony is no life at all.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:15:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, yeah.. that's what gets people together, but it's not what keeps people together.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Every romantic relationship ends in tragedy eventually, one way or another. There is no escape, so make the most of it while you can.
View Quote
My point with this being it doesn't have to end in tragedy. My observation is that relationships end in tragedy almost always because people expected something to last that couldn't possibly last. This expectation brings with it a myriad of unhealthy problems - questioning what's wrong with you and/or the other person when the relationship ends, the crushing thought that "the one" (the concept of the "one" being nonsense anyway) might have slipped away, anger/resentment at the other person for making you put up with a broken relationship before it ended, etc.

Remove the expectation of everlasting love/life together and this should, in theory, greatly reduce such breakup induced tragedy and anguish.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:16:48 PM EDT
[#30]
On a long enough timeline, everything is temporary
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Married 32.

The only people slinging that garbage is people trying to explain away their own inadequacy or with an agenda to undermine normal heterosexual relationships.

Not buying what you're selling, thanks though.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Married 32.

The only people slinging that garbage is people trying to explain away their own inadequacy or with an agenda to undermine normal heterosexual relationships.

View Quote
Different perspectives are scary, yo.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Keep chipping away at that family structure.

After you do, make sure you bitch about single parent incomes and welfare, the schools raising your children and turning them into liberals, and the following generations not being able to cope with mental issues.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Married 32.

No they're not, wrong isn't scary, it's just wrong.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Married 32.

Says the guy who made up a straw man to argue against.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is my opinion as well.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Married 32.

Says the guy projecting fear of different opinions while objecting to different opinions.

Explain to me why I should be scared of your opinion.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:28:36 PM EDT
[#38]
22 years married
30 years together

Blessed.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:31:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

My point with this being it doesn't have to end in tragedy...
View Quote
Even if the two of you are deliriously happy every single day together, eventually one of you is going to die.

Your relationship WILL end in tragedy.

So make the most of it while you can.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

My point with this being it doesn't have to end in tragedy. My observation is that relationships end in tragedy almost always because people expected something to last that couldn't possibly last. This expectation brings with it a myriad of unhealthy problems - questioning what's wrong with you and/or the other person when the relationship ends, the crushing thought that "the one" (the concept of the "one" being nonsense anyway) might have slipped away, anger/resentment at the other person for making you put up with a broken relationship before it ended, etc.

Remove the expectation of everlasting love/life together and this should, in theory, greatly reduce such breakup induced tragedy and anguish.
View Quote
I think you're mistaking infatuation with love. One is transient, the other isn't.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
No thanks

View Quote
Going with this.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#42]
For the majority I am gonna have to go with yes.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Says the guy projecting fear of different opinions while objecting to different opinions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Married 32.

You constructed two straw man arguments, two arguments I never presented or argued for, stating those are the "only" reasons for "slinging that garbage". Your hostility towards my position and presentation of not just one but two pure straw man arguments suggests you have a deeper issue with my position than you're letting on.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Married 27 years, together for 30, this time.

We dated in jr. high, and again in high school, then 5 years without seeing or hearing from each other.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Even if the two of you are deliriously happy every single day together, eventually one of you is going to die.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point with this being it doesn't have to end in tragedy...

I feel as though you entirely missed the point of both my OP and the post you responded to.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I think you're mistaking infatuation with love. One is transient, the other isn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I don't believe I am. I believe love itself (at least the level of love required to hold a relationship together for life) is indeed transient.

I grant this may be personal bias speaking. My life experience (mixed with some evolutionary psychology) has told me nothing other than that everlasting love does not exist and that human relationships are by nature transient unless both parties make a truly active, overt, dedicated effort otherwise and that this is generally a minority outcome.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You constructed two straw man arguments, two arguments I never presented or argued for, stating those are the "only" reasons for "slinging that garbage". Your hostility towards my position and presentation of not just one but two pure straw man arguments suggests you have a deeper issue with my position than you're letting on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Married 32.

LOL, comes to GD for "curmudgeonly perspective", gets curmudgeonly perspective and vagina becomes swollen and sand filled when curmudgeonly perspective hits too close to home.

Just like I'm not buying what you are selling, you don't have to buy what I'm selling.

Pretty clear you didn't come here for different perspective, you came here for confirmation of your bias, and you aren't getting it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
LOL, comes to GD for "curmudgeonly perspective", gets curmudgeonly perspective and vagina becomes swollen and sand filled when curmudgeonly perspective hits too close to home.

Just like I'm not buying what you are selling, you don't have to buy what I'm selling.

Pretty clear you didn't come here for different perspective, you came here for confirmation of your bias, and you aren't getting it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Married 32.

Ok sure.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No, I don't believe I am. I believe love itself (at least the level of love required to hold a relationship together for life) is indeed transient.

I grant this may be personal bias speaking. My life experience (mixed with some evolutionary psychology) has told me nothing other than that everlasting love does not exist and that human relationships are by nature transient unless both parties make a truly active, overt, dedicated effort otherwise and that this is generally a minority outcome.
View Quote
Define love for me.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:51:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Ok sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Married 32.

Ok sure.
You seem pretty butthurt for him to be as far off the mark as you would suggest.

What's the longest relationship you've been in?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top