Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2001 11:07:43 AM EDT
Last year I put up two flags in front of my house (state & U.S.) and being there all year they have become rather worn and tattered.  Time for replacement.  What is the proper disposal of said flags?  It just seems weird throwing the U.S. flag in the trash I guess.  Suggestions?  Flame-on.

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#1]
i think they are supposed to be burned ceremoniously.  folded up in the triangle and put into a fire?  not sure

steve
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe you can bury it.  Burning it is also accepted for a tattered flag. I think.

Someone may know more.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://usmilitary.about.com/careers/usmilitary/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.legion.org%2Fflagdisp.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#4]
[url]http://www.icss.com/usflag/us.code36.html[/url]

This is from the section titled [i]Respect for the Flag[/i]  It is in subsection [i]k[/i]

[i]The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning. [/i]
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 11:28:24 AM EDT
[#5]
take them to the local vfw. they will dispose of it
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I know my Boy Scout Troop is always looking for flags to be retired. Call your local council office and let the young boys have this honor. I remember everytime I have retired a flag. Its something that will stay with you forever, specially the first time you see it happen
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 9:44:12 AM EDT
[#7]
From what I remember, you are supposed to cut the blue area away from the stripes, and then separate the stripes.  You can then burn it, because it is no  longer the American flag.  At least that's what I was taught in the Army.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#8]
This Place I use to work for would Replace Their
flags once a month and when they had a big Pile
of U.S. Flags laying on the floor They would toss the hole pile in the Trash .

Rob
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This Place I use to work for would Replace Their
flags once a month and when they had a big Pile
of U.S. Flags laying on the floor They would toss the hole pile in the Trash .

Rob
View Quote

Criminal penalties for certain acts of desecration to the flag were contained in Title 18 of the United States Code prior to 1989. The Supreme Court decision in Texas v. Johnson; June 21, 1989, held the statute unconstitutional. This statute was amended when the Flag Protection Act of 1989 (Oct. 28, 1989) imposed a fine and/or up to I year in prison for knowingly mutilating, defacing, physically defiling, maintaining on the floor or trampling upon any flag of the United States. The Flag Protection Act of 1989 was struck down by the Supreme Court decision, United States vs. Eichman, decided on June 11, 1990.

Hunter out
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#10]
IMHO I couldn't bring myself to burn a US flag in any condition. Just the way I was raised...
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
IMHO I couldn't bring myself to burn a US flag in any condition. Just the way I was raised...
View Quote

This is what promted me to ask.  Trash? burn?  None of it "feels right".  I AM SO CONFUSED!

Great ideas guys, but I feel like I am back where I started.

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#12]
it's good to see that,to some of us,it still matters.mmk
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top