Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2004 3:46:57 PM EDT
I don't think my vision is that good but at meps I never got any pink slips so i think I passed all the tests? do they issue your glasses right before you ship after your second trip to meps?

Link Posted: 1/3/2004 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I don't think my vision is that good but at meps I never got any pink slips so i think I passed all the tests? do they issue your glasses right before you ship after your second trip to meps?

View Quote

IIRC army recp station we got a eye test then were isussed glasses if needed.3 sets 2 BC glases and a set if inserts for your pro mask
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#2]
no....

you will get a full medical exam at basic training. there your eyes will be checked and any needed glasses will be ordered. At least thats the way it was in '87
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 4:01:14 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks guys

at what point do they issue glasses? 20/60 or worse?

reading and computer hasn't been good for my eyes.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 4:07:22 PM EDT
[#4]
They won't leave you hanging.  You will be issued glasses if you need them, and probably about 20/25 or worse.
Of course, they are hideous.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#5]
My experience with MEPS for USAF OTS:

They check your eyes...

They tell you what your acuity is, also do Depth Perception...

20/20 is, of course perfect... 20/40 or worse -> GET GLASSES...

I had 20/20, but lousy DP... No AFOTS for me...
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#6]
What Beer Slayer said.

I went through basic last year at Leonardwood.  They gave me glasses and I only need them to drive/shoot.  You're getting them dude!  And the drill sergeants will make you wear them from the time you wake up until the time you go to sleep.  They don't call them BCGs (Birth Control Glasses) for nothing.  You'll have to get a couple of geek straps to keep them on to, they're required.  When do you leave, where are you going, and what is your MOS?

Good luck and thanks for your future service to our country.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#7]
what class and mos and all that, abwher?  
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 5:01:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What Beer Slayer said.

I went through basic last year at Leonardwood.  They gave me glasses and I only need them to drive/shoot.  You're getting them dude!  And the drill sergeants will make you wear them from the time you wake up until the time you go to sleep.  They don't call them BCGs (Birth Control Glasses) for nothing.  You'll have to get a couple of geek straps to keep them on to, they're required.  When do you leave, where are you going, and what is your MOS?

Good luck and thanks for your future service to our country.
View Quote

damn I know they are horrible!

I am going to fort benning for infantry in 3 weeks, kinda nervous and excited my ship date really came up fast and now i am thinking, "wow I really am going."
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#9]
silly, your supposed to have a clear front sight on a fuzzy target...stupid.
Link Posted: 1/4/2004 3:05:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Usually, I would say "yes" but I do seem to recall at least a couple guys in my Basic company who needed glasses and did not get them until most of the way through the cycle, and many more who got screwed up glasses. Its probably a lot like processing cows at the slaughterhouse; many things can slip through, and probably why we rode on cattle cars.
View Quote

Those of us with glasses wore our civilian ones until our BCG's arrived, then you were required to put your civilian glasses away.

The problem I had was the Army-issue glasses had the wrong prescription, so I couldn't see with them.

Sure enough, the Drill Sergeant was on my ass INSTANTLY about WHY I wasn't wearing my BCG's.

When I told him I couldn't see with them, which meant I wouldn't be able to shoot, he said I was okay to wear my civilian set and I wasn't asked again about it.

The Army has gotten my glasses perscription correct only twice in 20 years.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/4/2004 7:38:09 AM EDT
[#11]
It has been some years since I was at MEPS, but as I recall, they were looking to keep you in rather then kick you out.  When I was in the Navy, they have the 'Moment of Truth' on your third day at bootcamp.  That's where you reveal anything the recruiter or MEPS suggested you keep silent.  

I got a set of BC's, a set of OBA/Gas Mask glasses, and a set of BC sunglasses at boot.  Ten plus years later, I still have all three.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top