Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2004 12:06:57 PM EDT
I'm kinda looking for the AK47 of pistols, reliable take a beating and still run.

I always had 1911's and they are reliable and everything but some of the little things bother me. Like on my 70series colt It broke a slide stop and a firing pin, after a couple thousand rounds. No big deal maybe I am asking too much but I have seen some glocks and they are very simple so i like that.

I have heard stories of glocks going like 10000 rounds no problem, I would guess a 1911 could do that but it would have to be a top end one. and a 375 glock sounds really nice compared to that.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 12:08:29 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=6621&w=searchPop[/url]

read that
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#2]
also, here is a Springfield Mil-Spec torture test:

[url]www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=b531abeedada07afcd695f6f2405f3b8&threadid=55698[/url]

3,300 rounds through it, took a slight nudge to close the slide on round 1,002
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#3]
All I know about the Glock (literally all I know - I've never used one), is that the Danish Army adopted the Glock in the 1990s to replace their former service pistol.  Note - the former pistol was the SIG 210, one of the finest (and most expensive) handguns ever made.

So I assume it's pretty damn durable and rugged.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Glocks, Sigs, Beretta, etc... are all good designs. However-  I had a Glock 17 I brought in 1992 that jammed with FMJ after about 1K rounds, even after a trip to the factory and back.  Finally sold it and got a Beretta 92 that runs like a champ.  

I think if you have the dough, it's a neat addition to have in your collection, but man is frail and fallable, and all mfgrs can make a lemon now and then.

I wasn't too kean on having a gun with no safety either, but that's a matter of personal taste.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Good guns.  The ones chambered in .40 S&W seem to have KB issues though.

I dont particularly like Glocks for ergonomic reasons.  But that's my only problem with them ( the new G36 .45 single stack is an exception). It's just a matter of personal preference.  They're decent guns, $375 is a good price. I'd rather have a Glock than a 1911.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 12:19:35 PM EDT
[#6]
The Glock is a great pistol in that it is very simple and very reliable.

It's more accurate than 90% of the shooters in the world, even then you can upgrade the barrel etc.

Some people like 1911s and other pistols because they feel better, point better, and the triggers feel better.

Personal preferance.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 12:24:26 PM EDT
[#7]
[banghead]
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Some people like 1911s and other pistols because they feel better, point better, and the triggers feel better.

Personal preferance.
View Quote

for me thats it the 1911 just is a great shooter but I kinda want a beater pistol something I wont care about if I drop it or get wet.

The other day it was raining and I was putting my jacket over my 1911!

plus I won't do my garage gunsmithing to try and make it better.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personal preferance.
View Quote

for me thats it the 1911 just is a great shooter but I kinda want a beater pistol something I wont care about if I drop it or get wet.

The other day it was raining and I was putting my jacket over my 1911!

plus I won't do my garage gunsmithing to try and make it better.
View Quote

The range I go to has got to be the 8th wonder of the world, in that it is ALWAYS RAINING when I go.
Everything gets wet, range bags, car, clothes, guns, ammo boxes, etc.

.. but those puddles are pretty cool to shoot at [:D]
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I prefer the RG.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 12:33:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah awesome gun! It would have been adopted by the US if the handgun trials had been held a few years later than they were. If your curious always look to law enforcement and what they choose as their tools. They run torture tests ,accuracy tests, Dropping tests etc. They have chosen 75% of the time the Glock. Only much more expensive models are chosen by the "Richer" depts who can afford it. Like the H&K Usp, Sig 220 etc. Definatly a gun everyone should own AND USE. But it does have it's weak points. Look up the glock recall because of rail splitting with the higher power cartriges. But look at it this way, Almost all guns produced after 1988 are knock offs of the "plastic", Safe-action,tennifered utilitarian look of the glock. This hoopla about the springfield XD-9 I don't know, but it looks so much like the glock why bother?
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 12:35:59 PM EDT
[#12]
The Glock 17 is very durable. The 40SW models and the Glock 19 less so.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
All I know about the Glock (literally all I know - I've never used one), is that the Danish Army adopted the Glock in the 1990s to replace their former service pistol.  Note - the former pistol was the SIG 210, one of the finest (and most expensive) handguns ever made.

View Quote

The Sig210-2 is not a service pistol, but a target. I've read that pistol is available in the US for about $2,100.

The Glock 17 is super reliable. My old now-closed in door range Santa Anita Firing Range, Monrovia, CAlif(10 miles east of L.A.) had on that went 500,000 rounds before cracking the slide, and when they closed, it was upto 750,000 rounds. One of the guys says that you can fling the Glocks across the concrete floor, run over and pick it up and shoot it. You can't do that with a 1911 because you will probably crack the slide or frame.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Glocks are very tough.

They are very reliable, decently accurate, and are generally hold a lot of rounds. That said, I don't particularly like them. I just prefer 1911s. I can't say which is better for service, but personally I'd take the 1911. I agree with the idea of wanting a beater pistol, I plan on buying a G17 when I'm older.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I loved my Glock 26 when I had it. Unfortunately it was too wide for carry purposes. I am in the market for a good CCW weapon that is light (under 20oz) but not too wide. Kel-Tec has spotty reliability, Kahr are way too $$$, and I'd prefer .380 or 9mm).
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

The Sig210-2 is not a service pistol, but a target. I've read that pistol is available in the US for about $2,100.
View Quote

Not sure how to (mis)understand that statement, or what exactly you mean.

It clearly WAS a service pistol, because it was issued to all officers in the Danish Army for decades (in fact, you were REQUIRED to keep it at your home), so it definitely was used as a service pistol.  When I think of a "target pistol" I think of single-shot .22lr pistol, or at least adjsutable sights - the SIG 210 is a rugged, super-reliable 9mm handgun that just happens to be really accurate.  I'd say it makes a pretty decent service pistol.

Does it make a sensible service pistol? HELL NO.  I don't know what the hell the Danish Army was thinking when they adopted it (in the early 50s or something, if I recall correctly), because they could have spent that money a LOT better.

So I'm not even sure if we disagree or not - but at least it is no longer used as a service pistol.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I loved my Glock 26 when I had it. Unfortunately it was too wide for carry purposes. I am in the market for a good CCW weapon that is light (under 20oz) but not too wide. Kel-Tec has spotty reliability, Kahr are way too $$$, and I'd prefer .380 or 9mm).
View Quote

snubby .38
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Yavapai Firearms Academy has a Glock 17 with 120,000 documented rounds through it. All that has been replaced are the springs and the plastic channel liner for the striker.

A 1911 won't do that!
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 1:55:41 PM EDT
[#19]
[b]KaBoom![/b]
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 2:36:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
[b]KaBoom![/b]
View Quote

Exactly, I used to see 1911s kaboom all the time back in my IPSC days.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 7:56:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Glock vs 1911 [rolleyes] [beathorse]
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a 2nd gen Glock 17 with 67K and a 2nd Gen 19 with 28K+ and have never had a single problem with either. I'm working on 10K plus out of a Gen 3 17.

I have a former team mate that has 75K+ through one of the company 17's and it's still going strong. Other than the Trijicon sights dimming, finish wearing on high points and some dings in the frame from mag insertions they have been 100%. And that's with everything from new Federal Ammo to Egyptian military ammo of questionable quality.

Don't let the KB gang fool you. It's limited to the .40 and .45 models either using reloads or the rare rotten egg .40 that came out a year or so ago.....even problems with these E series guns were rare.

Link Posted: 1/3/2004 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Sauer. SIG Sauer.

That solves your problems.[:D]

XxX - Diehard 1911/SIG Fan ( Likes Glocks on Tuesdays )
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top