Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2004 11:03:14 PM EDT
Was anyone else disappointed in this movie?  It could have been so great, but instead I felt like the entire movie was highjacked to be some kind of vessel for the typical hollywood message:

Guns are bad, cast them down.  You can do just as well, if not better, without a gun as long as you have honor.

Technology is bad, cast it away.

Americans are bloodthirsty and for the most part not very competent, if they handn't stumbled onto boom sticks, they'd be dead by now.

blah blah blah.

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:32:24 PM EDT
[#1]
[>:/] I saw it and it has got to be one of my favorite movies so far.

and I don't agree with any of the above..

Dude your looking into way too hard.

They were fighting to preserve their way of life which was being destroyed with the modernization (or technology as you say) of the country.

About the guns, IMHO they just emphasized how disastrous they were to the samurai..

and how you say you thought they portrayed Americans as bloodthirsty ..
[b]One[/b] character could be seen this way but that is all IMHO I don't see how you could view it this way...

"Hollywood" doesn't put liberal BS in every goddamn movie.

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:47:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought it was a great movie. I have to agree with Skammy, youre looking into it way too much.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 4:08:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Third vote for the "you are paranoid" crowd.  I thought it was a beautiful movie about tradition and honor and trying to preserve a way of life.  

You need to lay off the conspiracy theories, man... [whacko]
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 4:31:50 AM EDT
[#4]
It definitely had its anti-western elements, but I didn't leave the theater with that bad an impression of it.

I did find it interesting that, like most history books, the movie presented a view of American soldiers slaughtering American Indians without showing the way those Indians treated each other or the Americans they came across.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 4:52:42 AM EDT
[#5]
the last SAMURAI was the best movie Ive seen all year! it was one of the only new movies worth watching. The movie starts out in the USA
with Tom Cruise selling Winchester rifles in a
show in old San Francisco? it even has a scene
with the old horse drawn "Trolly Cars" on the
hilly streets of old SF circa. 1876.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 4:58:37 AM EDT
[#6]
this movie was cool, and by cool I mean totally sweet. How could you not like a movie with ninjas?
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 5:01:19 AM EDT
[#7]
you mean, you guys paid money to see a movie with tom cruise in it???

...gay
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top