Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2004 7:30:09 PM EDT
I just read it.

I thought it was really good.

Anyone else have any thoughts on it?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw the movie.

[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Aldous Huxley was a few years early, and under estimated the power of the computer.

Other than that, pretty much spot on.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Take your soma and go to bed :-)
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I had to write a book report on it. Aldous Huxley was a firm believer in recreational hallucinogens. The book seems to make a lot more sense once you understand the author was tripping his balls off (big fan of peyote). I loved the book and need to read it again. If you liked that, you need to read "Farenheit 451" and "1984". Two excellent books with 1984 being as weird, or weirder, than "Brave New World".
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I've read Farenheit 451.

1984 is the next book I'm reading, I plan on starting tomorrow.

My book says that Huxley got into drugs AFTER writing Brave New World though. Sorry that I can't confirm it, but I just dropped it off at the library.

If anyone has a copy, look at the stuff at the end (the name of it escapes me...prologue maybe).
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#6]
If you just read Brave New World, then you should probably read the other two books of the future trilogy.

"We"
By by Yevgeny Zamyatin

"1984"
By George Orwell

Then you'll be thoroughly depressed.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Take your soma and go to bed :-)
View Quote

I thought you were gonna quit posting?  [;D]

Huxley was Right.  Brave New World Revisited was published later by him, showing the things that have come to be, and corrected a few "guesses".

It is sadly Too True.  (along with 1984, Farenheit, etc...)
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I read that book in highschool.

I bet it would seem like such a deeper book now that I'm older.

I should credit the quote in my sig correctly.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Huxley was Right.
View Quote

Yes he was.

I see people all the time who pick happiness over truth.

To me, it seems appalling, that anyone could be blissfully ignorant, replace understanding and reality with drugs, and choose the easy way over the right way.

But too many do it. [:(]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#10]
http://www.mescaline.com/huxley.htm

He also wrote Doors of Perception about his experience with mescaline.  Interesting.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

He also wrote Doors of Perception about his experience with mescaline.  Interesting.
View Quote
I tried to read that book.  Six times.  Never got through it.  Still have it though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
I tried to read that book.  Six times.  [red]Never got through it.[/red]  Still have it though.
View Quote

Probably because it's a hippie book. No, I'm not joking. That's what the back of Brave New World told me, in different words.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
I tried to read that book.  Six times.  [red]Never got through it.[/red]  Still have it though.
View Quote

Probably because it's a hippie book. No, I'm not joking. That's what the back of Brave New World told me, in different words.
View Quote
It is a hippie book, but that isn't why.  DoP wanders in about a dozen directions at once, seemingly.  Huxley doesn't pick a subject and stick with it.  He finds the most mundane things and talks on and on about them.
Naturally, this is to be expected, as he is tripping on Indian Acid.
John Galt's speech is easier reading than DoP.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:34:50 PM EDT
[#14]
And Doors of Perception is what Jim Morrison took the name for his band from.  Hippy book.  But Brave New World is spot on.

Malthusian Belts?  Birth control pills/patches.  Soma?  Any of our medicines for mental problems.  Decanting?  Not yet but the caste system is well developed in our school systems.  Motherhood IS a maligned profession.  Daycare?  Could be our version of decanting.

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 9:50:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
View Quote

View Quote
It is a hippie book, but that isn't why.  DoP wanders in about a dozen directions at once, seemingly.  Huxley doesn't pick a subject and stick with it.  He finds the most mundane things and talks on and on about them.
Naturally, this is to be expected, as he is tripping on Indian Acid.
John Galt's speech is easier reading than DoP.
View Quote

Carlos Castenada (Don Juan, Alternate Reality, Eagle, etc.), is about that, very interesting, and readable.

On the side of reality, Huxley rocks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 10:27:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Druuuuugs, duuuuuude.

I like Aldous Huxley and his attitude towards drugs.  Brave New World is his dystopia book, Island is his utopia book, interesting how drugs are both central to both societies.

It's been years since I read Brave New World, all I remember is that it sort of reminds me of Plato's Republic, and was deeply creepy. The society in Island was very compelling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top