TIA
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:41:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is this a good deal or what?

TIA
View Quote

Not bad.

I think Turners had them for 379 last month.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I have heard a lot of complaints about Springfield lately, and have sold a few 45's that were real loose, so I think you have to base an opinion on a gun from them only after inspecting the gun in question.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:47:03 PM EDT
[#3]
.45's are *supposed* to be "loose"...they weren't made originally to the tolerances the hand-honed ones are made to today.

A little play is a good thing. When tolerances get too close (as I suspect a lot of the custom .45's are), you hear a lot of people complaining about jamming, misfeeds, makes of ammo they can't reliably use, etc.

I've shot USGI .45's before, with plain old factory hardball. Never ever had a hiccup, with over 400 rounds in one sitting. Yah some throat/ramp relieving will need to be done to reliably feed HP's, but that should be about it as far as modifications to the original design goes, IMO.

Why mess with perfection? [:D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been looking at two different .45 models now.  The Springfield Armory .45 Mil Spec and the Kimber Custom II TLE (can't go wrong with factory mounted tritium night sights :D ).

However of course price DOES play a role in the decision and that $400 seemed really good for the SA.  However, if I thought I could get a Kimber Custom II TLE for $700 or under I might wait and save a little longer.

Whaddya guys think?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#6]
i was really interested in one until i got to fondel it. I've shot tons of 1911's and have seen very few i just didn't like. The NEW SA milspec was one of them. I don't know why but it just didn't "feel" right. Also the machining on the one i was looking at left alot to be desired. I know it's a 380.00 pistol but i felt it didn't live up to to the issue peice it was supposed to copy.

Let me say again.. i don't have a solid opinion on why other than just my gut reaction. I opted for a cz75 tactical instead.

mike
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#7]
IMHO, I recommend the Kimber.

Accurate, smooth, and reliable out of the box.

Save some more and you are there.

Go look at the Kimber forum on the Handgun Board.  See what they think.

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Save up for the Kimber if this gun is going to be a keeper.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
.45's are *supposed* to be "loose"...they weren't made originally to the tolerances the hand-honed ones are made to today.

A little play is a good thing. When tolerances get too close (as I suspect a lot of the custom .45's are), you hear a lot of people complaining about jamming, misfeeds, makes of ammo they can't reliably use, etc.

I've shot USGI .45's before, with plain old factory hardball. Never ever had a hiccup, with over 400 rounds in one sitting. Yah some throat/ramp relieving will need to be done to reliably feed HP's, but that should be about it as far as modifications to the original design goes, IMO.

Why mess with perfection? [:D]
View Quote
I hear you, but these were real loose, rattle box loose, customer sent them in and when they returned the gun it was a normal loose.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:29:23 PM EDT
[#10]
YOu got me all excited--I thought someone was selling a South African mil spec .45 for $400.  But a Springfield Armory 1911 for that price woiuld be a good deal too.

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top