Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2004 12:09:21 PM EDT
Man, I can't believe I've never seen this movie before.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0108330/
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Is that the one with Robert De Niro as the abusive step-father?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Very complicated characters, De Niro trying to make sure DiCaprio doesn't end up like him, but cant put aside his inferiority complex, his bitterness, his meanness. DiCaprio is the same in a different way.

Stuff like this is why I could never write fiction.  Real life is just too complicated to even come close to making stuff like this up. One of the reasons Shakespeare was so great was because his characters had all this sort of aspects and conflicts.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:46:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Good movie.  DeNiro reminded me of this one kid's dickhead father I went to school with.  The guy could sometimes be appear to be the nicest guy and really speak proudly of his wife and kids in public, and sound like the perfect dad, then he'd go home and turn into a monster.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Deniro sure plays the part of an abusive father
well in the movie, he acts like a big bully to
Leonardo DeCaprio.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Good book, takes place not too far from here. I havent seen the movie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top